Who made up the rules of ITF and what causes them to change?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Was General Choi the original rule setter for the ITF World Championships?

-What has made them change over the years?

-How are they likely to change in the future?

Please don't tell me helmets and protection gear is the future!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good question. It was widely known that General Choi was not a huge fan of the competition. HAving judged at 2 Championships and one world cup, I was always under the impression that the the tournament / competition committte was in charge of rules. Following the 1997 competition I submitted some suggestions to ITF HQ which by coincidence were implemented when I judged in 2001. Never felt that General Choi was involved in the process. As for what the future holds ... time will tell.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good question. It was widely known that General Choi was not a huge fan of the competition. HAving judged at 2 Championships and one world cup, I was always under the impression that the the tournament / competition committte was in charge of rules. Following the 1997 competition I submitted some suggestions to ITF HQ which by coincidence were implemented when I judged in 2001. Never felt that General Choi was involved in the process. As for what the future holds ... time will tell.

Interesting. What suggestion did you submit, that happened to be implemented? One thing I've noticed is the shortening - 2 minutes per fight. Wasn't it 2 or 3 rounds per fight earlier? Even the finals have been shortened to 2 minutes total.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, is it correct that they fought without gloves and shoes in the earliest installments?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Short Story. (1997) There was an issue with the # of warnings called by the Center vs what was recorded. by the corners. I suggested that the timekeeper / Jury have flip cards at the table to keep track of this. 2001 - this had been implemented.

In the earlly 1970's the foam dipped safety type gear was either not yet invented otr just not yet widely used or adopted. We used an elastic Shin and instep protector with padding on the front and top and a similar items forthe hands. Stuff absorbed sweat and smelled nasty after a few workouts.

Getting old and memory fades, but I can't recall rounds being longer than 2 minutes. They may have been.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Short Story. (1997) There was an issue with the # of warnings called by the Center vs what was recorded. by the corners. I suggested that the timekeeper / Jury have flip cards at the table to keep track of this. 2001 - this had been implemented.

In the earlly 1970's the foam dipped safety type gear was either not yet invented otr just not yet widely used or adopted. We used an elastic Shin and instep protector with padding on the front and top and a similar items forthe hands. Stuff absorbed sweat and smelled nasty after a few workouts.

Getting old and memory fades, but I can't recall rounds being longer than 2 minutes. They may have been.

No but there were 3 rounds in the 2001 final, for an example. Only 1 round these days.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something I dislike about WTF kyorugi is the use of excesive pading, and I have to say that the use of gloves and foot protectors (foot boots) in ITF is more than adecuate.

Manny

Latest Discussions