Taekwondo is a great first art for MMA/UFC!!!!!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have allot successful MMA/UFC fighters who started out in TKD.

Anderson Silva
Benson Henderson
Anthony Pettis
S. Bonner
Edson Barboza
Ross Pearson

To name a few!!!!

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think most americans claim TKD as their first martial art.

The question is... How many stick with it as their primary art after starting something else (example: BJJ, Judo, MMA, Muay Thai, Etc...) ?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In the context of this discussion, I don't think it matters what is one's primary art. A mixed martial artist trains in multiple arts and divides training time based on perceived needs. It's pretty clear to me that the fighters with Taekwondo roots tend to have dangerous kicking skills. Groundfighters without striking skills have trouble, and vice versa. The fighters who have good low and high leg skills are more dangerous than those who don't.

SAAMAG

White Belt
Reaction score
IMO...TKD is to legs what Boxing is to hands. But because it's relatively harder to use one's legs to a high degree, I generally recommend kicking arts first to set a good foundation people who are going to need many skills (like MMA).

Though what you won't see in MMA--is the general fighting strategy and posture of TKD. Hands down, suicide kicks that leave you completely exposed if you miss, and etc. What TKD brings to the table is the flexibility, speed, power, and timing to make the kicks count. If you go into an MMA fight like you would an Olympic TKD event--you wont last long.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Benson Henderson, Edson Barbosa and Anthony Petis use Tkd in their kicking...

I would never suggest that you or anyone use one style in a MMA....

No one style alone works in MMA any longer....it is not 1993....

We saw what Matt Hughes did to Royce Gracie,,,

Machida use Shotokan Karate as his Primary striking style....

MMA is more than MT, BJJ and wrestling....

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think most americans claim TKD as their first martial art.

The question is... How many stick with it as their primary art after starting something else (example: BJJ, Judo, MMA, Muay Thai, Etc...) ?

3 of the 6 I named are not from the USA... MMA becomes there primary art... All arts are part of MMA...

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though what you won't see in MMA--is the general fighting strategy and posture of TKD. Hands down, suicide kicks that leave you completely exposed if you miss, and etc. What TKD brings to the table is the flexibility, speed, power, and timing to make the kicks count. If you go into an MMA fight like you would an Olympic TKD event--you wont last long.

Two things. 1) Let's not generalize too much here. The behavior you describe is largely a characteristic of WTF/KKW Taekwondo. It is not something that is desireable in other types of Taekwon-Do. All of the falling you see after kicks in WTF competitions, for example, would be penalized in an ITF tournament.

2) You are quite right that if you go into a MMA fight like you would a WTF tournament you'd get your clock cleaned. Of course, the converse is also true. I went to a few hogu-tournaments back in college and saw some truly impressive athletes, guys you did not want to hit you. They'd crush someone who didn't train specifically to fight under their rule set, including a MMA player.

And no, I'm not defending WTF sparring. I don't care for it, really.

Pax,

Chris

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For quite a while now MMA fighters have not really been coming from a single art anymore but are coming into the sport without any martial arts experience. This means they train MMA as a whole rather than separate styles. Of course the styles are still in there but the youngsters now have it as a complete style on it's own. Whether they are missing out is a matter of opinion but the new generation ( agh I feel so old now) of MMA fighters coming up are very well trained for what they want to do.
I rather dislike all this stuff about this style or that style would smash another, who actually knows when it comes down to it? They don't fight each others styles, I imagine especially knowing MMA people, that they'd much rather train with and pick the brains of fighters in other styles than try to prove who was best at whatever style. MMA fighters who really don't play at being MMA fighters, they fight MMA rules, it's what they do, if they were interested in fighting in other styles they would do it but they don't. I'm sure it works the other way around too.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tez3...spot on..although I think it is good to start out in one style early and move to MMA if that is what you want to do...probably 14-16 is a good time...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind also, that in the arena of MMA, if you have a weak base, you will be at a grappler's mercy. You have to understand your kicks and how they work intimately, or you will spend just a split second on one leg, ie a weak base. Also you must know the sport. If you aproach MMA with the same mind set you approach a TKD, you are going to have an unpleasant experience. I don't think there is really a bad or good art when it comes to MMA. Just those that train well for the rule set and competition type of MMA and those that do not.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on what your thoughts are about the mind set of MMA. Because I agree that it is different. Understanding how your kicks work in a non TKD setting is very important. When to use them in MMA match is also very important.

Keep in mind also, that in the arena of MMA, if you have a weak base, you will be at a grappler's mercy. You have to understand your kicks and how they work intimately, or you will spend just a split second on one leg, ie a weak base. Also you must know the sport. If you aproach MMA with the same mind set you approach a TKD, you are going to have an unpleasant experience. I don't think there is really a bad or good art when it comes to MMA. Just those that train well for the rule set and competition type of MMA and those that do not.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many TKD artist train for point fighting. A form of hard tag basically. Nothing wrong with that as it does take skill, but it causes a lot of those martial artist to have some bad habits in the realm of MMA, a different type of sport. Also many TKD kicks are beuatiful to see and take great physical skill, but they are relatively slow to land compared to the quick low kicks or the shortened angle kicks. This is also something that can get a person in trouble in an MMA format. It doesn't mean those kicks can't be used, but the set up and follow through must be adjusted for the MMA type fighting.

The mind set of MMA is about open competition at all range of fighting. It is also a full contact sport, like boxing. It is also usually very aggressive. The goal is not to land a shot or take a person down. The goal is to dominate them, by either strikes or submissions. Most tournament type schools do not take things this far. The goals are different because the sports are different and that is as it should be. Where many traditional martial artist get in trouble with the comparisons is that you cannot train for one sport and expect to be pro at another. If a TKD artist plays his kicks like he is at a TKD tournament in an MMA setting, the TKD artist is going to be taken to the mat. However, if the TKd artist changes some of his training methodology to fit within the MMA setting they can do well, as can any other art. If you do not train in the type of fighting MMA does and try to climb into the ring, you will be exposed very quickly. After all, you will fight how you train :)

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree that a strategy and mind set change is an absolute need...that change would be needed for anyone moving from any non-MMA martial art.

Living in Las Vegas we are exposed to many folks in the UFC, Kick Boxing an BBJ World. I am lucky to know and spend time with a well known BJJ school owner and success tournament fighter. He gets allot of students from TKD at around 12. He likes the flexibility an body knowledge that they bring to the table.

eliteguardian

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree, I spar with some MMA fighters at their open gyms and I do pretty well in a striking match, however grappling beats me every time. WTF Taekwondo by the way. The speed of Taekwondo does help in situations in MMA when you need to be in and back out very quickly.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My kids train in 3 Martial Arts TKD, Shotokan Karate and Judo. They compete in WKF/NKF Karate and WTF TKD. The way they train has allot of similar traits to MMA training minus the submission game. They train throws and takedown defense as it is needed in karate competition.

It has become very clear that the TKD level of kicking is the most complex and takes a longer time to learn and compete at a high level.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have just started teaching my kids Judo as well Tal. We are mostly doing the break falls and rolls at this time, but have done a couple of sweep thows and hip tosses. They are also working on footwork and body movment when engaged with an opponent. Like everything footwork is the key to being good. Even in TKD I work footwork more than any other technique. I don't care how good you can kick or punch, if you are not in the proper position to do so then none of that matters. The same can be said for take downs and defending the take down. My philosophy is that if you have better footwork than your opponent you will beat them every time, no matter what they are good at. I see so much bad footwork out there and can only shake my head at it.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Footwork is everything...

Karate footwork is different than TKD understanding both I think is great advantage to them as overall martial artists...

Th judo is great addition,

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Add Adam Khaliev to the list of UFC fighter with a BB in TKD....lots of stuff on YouTube of this guy KOing a guy with a Tornado kick...

The UFC Just signed the guy he is Russian!

Looks like TKD is becoming much more prevalent in MMA!

Latest Discussions