Taekwondo advice concerning transfer of schools

scullinbones

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to martialtalk and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice. I am taking a semester long class at my University in Taekwondo and I have been in it for the past 3.5 to 4 months with one two hour class a week. In my last lesson the instructor said that he would be offering testing for yellow belt and that we would receive a certificate of completion of white belt that we would be able to use if we chose to continue Taekwondo by submitting it to a Taekwondo school. I chose not to attend the school where he is employed because it would be such a long commute and I am transferring Universities soon. I was wondering if testing for my yellow belt would be a good idea or if I should start from the beginning at an official school in an official setting rather than a gym. I can give some background on what we have been taught already:

Side kick- Yup chagi
Front kick- Up chagi
Round kick- Duhl yoo chagi
low block- Ah rae makgi
high block- Oilgul makgi
various stances- ready, short front, long front
combinations of above mentioned kicks, blocks, and punches (I read that Taekwondo focuses more on kicks so the basic punch is expected)
We have learned two basic patterns: Gi Bon Dong Jak, as well as another pattern but I cant remember the name of it.

We have also learned roughly 12 different self defense moves as well as 6 one step moves.

I know this isnt very detailed but I can tell you that I definitely am not an expert at any of these moves (obviously. I couldnt phrase it better than this). I have no disrespect for my instructor, he seems like he knows what he is doing (4th degree black belt) and is serious about his profession and takes time to help people who need it. My issue is that a gym is not a controlled setting and most people in the class are just doing it for their physical education credit and some are even disruptive, rather than a legitimate Taekwondo studio where everyone who is there is serious about it. I guess this would be the best place to restate my question: If I were to earn the yellow belt at my University and get the certificate would it be a good idea to start at another school as a yellow belt student or would it be bad and would I be constantly trying to catch up due to lack of experience? Please be mature in your answer, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Scullinbones, White belt Taekwondo

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My guess is that as a yellow belt you wouldn't have much trouble catching up, especially if the new school practices a similar curriculum (same forms). At most Taekwondo schools yellow belts have only been training 1-3 months.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Scullinbones. As a means of fully introducing yourself to Martial Talk may I suggest you visit the Meet and Greet section of the boards. This is a great starting place for a continued interaction with a wide variety of the members here.
We hope you enjoy the site and find it very informative. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the drawback of a course based program like that, whether it's a martial arts class, weight lifting, or any thing else. The gym I work out at is regularly "invaded" by a college class -- meaning those of us actually there to work out have to deal with gaggles of students hovering around equipment. But that's part of how the gym pays the bills each month, too... and if it closed, I'd have to find another one. In your case, you've got lots of people there for lots of reasons (not really different from a regular school...) taking the instruction at various levels of seriousness (again, something you'll find in a regular school, too.).

My advice, if you choose to continue is to start from scratch unless it's the collegiate instructor's school. You'll catch up quick, and learn the way it's taught in the new school. There might be subtle (or not so subtle...) differences, and you're really only looking at a few months of regular training...

OP
S

scullinbones

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies! I really appreciate it! I'll definitely take into account the differences in opinion in this thread. I will definitely test for my yellow belt and if and when I transfer Taekwondo gyms and see if my curriculum for the college class matches the Taekwondo school curriculum of my choice. Thanks again.

Latest Discussions