Tae Kwon Do Knockout Kick!

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Back hook kick. Ouch!

In the slo-mo replay, though, it's pretty clear he caught the guy in the back of the head.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back hook kick. Ouch!

In the slo-mo replay, though, it's pretty clear he caught the guy in the back of the head.

Um... the way we teach it, that's what hook kick is for! My sahbum uses it well... being 6'3" helps, I guess - but we started in the ITF, and head shots - including the back of the head - are legal.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
reminds me of the old days when you could really go all out nice kick.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um... the way we teach it, that's what hook kick is for! My sahbum uses it well... being 6'3" helps, I guess - but we started in the ITF, and head shots - including the back of the head - are legal.

Yeah, being 6'3" he could wrap his whole leg around someone's head! Yow!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, being 6'3" he could wrap his whole leg around someone's head! Yow!

And he does... with disturbing precision! He came up against a III Dan some years ago who fought with his glasses on, and asked the man if he wanted to take them off... the man said no, he'd never had problems with it. As soon as the match started - hook kick, across the face, just close enough to flick the man's glasses off his face and out of the ring (not broken or anything - just off his face) - the man decided to fight without them after that, and had sports goggles with a strap the next time.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It feels nasty. I got one KO when perfoming my blue belt exam, I was a big teenager so my teacher put my with one experienced red belt for sparring, the combat was tought but one thing I didn't knew was my oponent was very good performing board breakin blindfolded usin his jumping/spining hook kick.

I got his heel in my lower jaw, it was so fast I didi'nt saw the kick, I was disconect... a shut down without knowing anithing from my sorroundings, I got help from my samboknim in a hurry, since that day my parents never got back to see a degree examn or competition.

Mnny

Mellyn

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeouch. We call those "spin-heel kicks". I'm not sure if that's old school, new school, or just some other school at this point =p
A good friend of mine and sometime instructor had his jaw shattered with exactly that kick at a tournament several years ago. Personally I have to wonder about control!!! I mean, are we point sparring or street fighting?

Don't mean to start a flame-war (!!!), but I am curious as to the current trend in TKD.

Mellyn

Latest Discussions