Tae Bek Appreciation thread

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In another thread, a lot of folks said they really liked Tae Bek. I don't find it all that interesting. I honestly find that Tae Guek Chil Chong & Pal Chong to be more difficult. But since many other folks really enjoy it, I figure that I might be missing something. In fact, I'm sure of it.

I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know why folks like it so much. What are the neat parts of it for you?

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
It has a sort of simple eligance. The moves contained in it are practical. basic front and side kicks, simple chops, a nice throw some escapes and counters. I would think the difficult part to the form is to perform it to black belt standards and have people look at such simple moves and say, "Wow!" Granted, all this is coming from a (primarily) Chang Hon Tae Kwon Do stylist, so take it with whatever amount of weight you want.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In another thread, a lot of folks said they really liked Tae Bek. I don't find it all that interesting. I honestly find that Tae Guek Chil Chong & Pal Chong to be more difficult. But since many other folks really enjoy it, I figure that I might be missing something. In fact, I'm sure of it.

I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know why folks like it so much. What are the neat parts of it for you?
Hey Iceman, I have always felt the EXACT same way!! I couldn't figure out how this form is supposed to be a 3rd Dan form. But then I saw an old video of my Grandmaster doing the form and I was completely floored!!! My own sahbomnim has excellent form, but he is built completely different than me so it is hard to watch him and then figure out how to incorporate his strengths into mine. But my Grandmaster is more my size and watching him perform the form was mind-blowing. The timing of the form was really cool, especially the way he would pause after a kick, sink into the stance and throw the double punch with awesome speed. And he performs moves 5 through 8 very taichi-ish (my own word, but I am sure you can guess the meaning). It is hard to really explain what I saw, but it really made me want to improve my own form and I saw exactly how I could do it.
Anyway, it is still not my favorite form, but watching how he transformed these fairly simple movements into something so advanced was really inspiring and I have actually still been working to improve Tae Bek instead of focusing on Pyung Won. To tell you the truth I have yet to discover the merits of Pyung Won, but I figure now it will just be a matter of time (maybe not until after I have already been promoted to 5th dan!)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Iceman, I have always felt the EXACT same way!! I couldn't figure out how this form is supposed to be a 3rd Dan form. But then I saw an old video of my Grandmaster doing the form and I was completely floored!!! My own sahbomnim has excellent form, but he is built completely different than me so it is hard to watch him and then figure out how to incorporate his strengths into mine. But my Grandmaster is more my size and watching him perform the form was mind-blowing. The timing of the form was really cool, especially the way he would pause after a kick, sink into the stance and throw the double punch with awesome speed. And he performs moves 5 through 8 very taichi-ish (my own word, but I am sure you can guess the meaning). It is hard to really explain what I saw, but it really made me want to improve my own form and I saw exactly how I could do it.
Anyway, it is still not my favorite form, but watching how he transformed these fairly simple movements into something so advanced was really inspiring and I have actually still been working to improve Tae Bek instead of focusing on Pyung Won. To tell you the truth I have yet to discover the merits of Pyung Won, but I figure now it will just be a matter of time (maybe not until after I have already been promoted to 5th dan!)

Boy, it does make a difference when I see someone do a form well. It always makes me want to improve. I felt that way when I watched the Poomsae Worlds on Youtube. I've gotten an appreciattion for Kuemgang when I watched GM Park, Hae Man teach it. On the slow "Soo Bakh" movements he said, "This should [take] 10 seconds. 12 is better!" I've seen few folks do it at 10 or 12 seconds very well. He does!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This form is all about the posture and power withen the form itself. When done right it is a thing of beauty.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love doing this form because of the simple movements, the simpler the harder to prefect.I was the same way with Kum Kang, I treat each movement a chance to prefect the stance,same placement of the blocks and strikes as well of the movement in the foot work.Just when you think that you have mastered the form, you find that you are still a white belt!I am trying to learn Ship Jin as well as Pyung Won. All the best in the arts

Latest Discussions