tactics/straegy Forum ?

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Originally posted by sweeper
right now I'm kinda interested what people think about various team strategies, for example 3 on 3. Smaller numbers you have fewer options available to you so it's simpler but I'm curious about what people think of larger group tactics.

I'm also interested in tactics when you are trying to run away from someone or some people who are faster than you, if you don't think standing your ground would be a good idea (lets say it's 3-1 and you aren't 100% confident) how would you evade direct confrontation?

And Of course I would be interested in the tactical/strategic diffrences in how people aproach a given subject, like resisting takedowns or resisting takedowns in a group conflict.

(edit) MTP you for or against?

vote yes

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, that would be good. Avoiding a fight or surviving a fight has as much to do with how you handle the preliminaries, as it does with your actual fighting abilities.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there still interest in a Self-Defense or Strategies and Tactcis forum?

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

OP
K

Kope

I like the idea of the S&T forum as different from the self-defense forum.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Is there still interest in a Self-Defense or Strategies and Tactcis forum?

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

I vote YES!

With all the "discussions" theres not enough effort on applications and too much time spent on who has what and who is who....

I had a thread that was supposed to be a discussion of techiniques, and any and all techniques.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6515

But it appeared that the "higher authorities" did not want to participate with those they had bickered with in the past.:D

But a "generalized" forum would lead to more people and more thought and hopefully less egos.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was all hot on the idea, but was disappointed with what came out. Way too much of the "if he does this I'll do that" technique based approach. I was hoping we could get some good discussion on mindset, awareness, and the like, but it never gelled. Kind of like the firearms forum; great idea, but limited (so far) to 1) suggestions for novices seeking instructio (a great thing!) and 2) which gun/model/caliber is better than all the others (not worth reading).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was my concern--can you really get a forum like this that works well across all arts?

A genereal Self-Defense forum could discuss general strategies perhaps--environmental weapons, talking one's way out of trouble, etc.--but when it comes to fighting, styles differ quite a bit!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
This was my concern--can you really get a forum like this that works well across all arts?

A genereal Self-Defense forum could discuss general strategies perhaps--environmental weapons, talking one's way out of trouble, etc.--but when it comes to fighting, styles differ quite a bit!

Styles are differant yet they are the one as all men are one. We all have a common ground in that we train in martial arts, the differances are very little.

So you block like this and I block like that, its still a block. We can learn from each other if we are able to empty our cups, but I don't think that it will happen because "some" will have to always be right.

But the truth in martial arts can't be the same for all, if it were, some of us would have no chance for greatness. But if we are able to come together and "just discuss" without the political hype, some of us will be able to learn or at minimum "see with a new light" and that is positive experience.:asian:

OP
H

Handsword

I'm putting in a "yes" vote for a "Strategies and Tactics" forum.

Perhaps some of the points from Sun Tzu's "Art of War" could be discussed from a martial arts perspective.

OP
W

Withered Soul

I vote yes. I love sparring and love to give/take advice on strategies and tactics.

OP
M

MartialArtsGuy

I think the self-defense forum was a good idea. I am also inclined to say that stratagies and tactics could fall under self-defense being that one of the primary focuses of the martial arts is self-defense.

What other tactics and stratagies could you talk about?
Unless you're going to discuss the tactics and stratagies of tournement competition....well that's another story.

Even though I'm a little late to this I still vote "YES"

Latest Discussions