Sword display-safety?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first I was thinking, who cares. Do what you want. Which I still think...

But, I guess it got me thinking. Recently I bought a 2nd hard squat rack on gumtree. When I went to pick it up, the seller had a katana and wakizashi displayed on a side table in their entrance. The first thing I thought was, dangerous to have blades next to the front door in eyesight, and then I followed up with the question. "I take it your a martial artist?" pointing to the blades on display. He was very embarrassed and said "No, they are only display.", he then said after a pause and awkward silence, "I've never been questioned about them, it seems silly having them now"

So I still think, do what you want. But agree, it's not until your quizzed on it will you know if its the right decision or not.

AleahParcon

White Belt
Reaction score
I think it is not good to display such dangerous stuffs wherein kids usually pass by. We can't stop them from touching it even if you would place it in a high area. Kids are very smart nowadays to get things that they want because of their curiosity. It is better to display it in a room wherein you can can lock it when you will be away for a total security. If you really wish to display, don't use a real one.

tayloja

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, if you are looking to make a collection and display it, I advise you to look on this site, they have many katana and wakizashi of good quality and not very expensive.
To block the sword, you can weld the sheath to the blade or fill the sheath. Without a blade, there will be no realistic weight if you ever want to show them to students.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, if you are looking to make a collection and display it, I advise you to look on this site, they have many katana and wakizashi of good quality and not very expensive.
I was looking at the wakizashi and they’re a bit…tacky with shiny gold tsuba and patterned saya.
To block the sword, you can weld the sheath to the blade or fill the sheath.
Do what? 😳
Without a blade, there will be no realistic weight if you ever want to show them to students.
Where is this company located?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To block the sword, you can weld the sheath to the blade or fill the sheath. Without a blade, there will be no realistic weight if you ever want to show them to students.
Firstly, welcome to the site.

Secondly, I hope you're not involved in the linked company... we may have some very different ideas of "good quality" there...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly, welcome to the site.

Secondly, I hope you're not involved in the linked company... we may have some very different ideas of "good quality" there...
As far as actual functional swords, I'd agree with you.

But then, the question in the original post was about safe display of swords for decorative purposes only. The linked site appears to produce primarily decorative wall hangers, so it seems appropriate.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In MY dojo and in many others I've trained at do most of their sword art with bokken as the space is often crowded. Live blades came out when there happened to be more room. Plus, I've never known of any kids messing around with the sword display at my or anyone elses dojo.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, posted this in the Aikido section as well, but thought a cross post may also elicit some replies here.

Additionally, I would like to have a sword display with both Katana and Wakizashi, but here's the rub. It needs to be relatively inexpensive (for display only), and would prefer either bladeless, or fixed (unable to remove). The reason is, our dojo is located at a school with multiple other martial arts, and there are lots of kids/children around all the time. The area we practice in, is the matted area in the back, and it is not always in use. We have a concern about a child potentially walking back there unattended and finding a sword and the inherent liability therein.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/thoughts about purchasing a "safe" sword display for the shrine?

Thanks,

Mike
Speaking as a sword user for more than a few years: Displays are for display toys. Real ones are kept in a locked closet. Only displayed in museums and even they are copies of the original.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a sword user for more than a few years: Displays are for display toys. Real ones are kept in a locked closet. Only displayed in museums and even they are copies of the original.
Yes, locked away in a gun carrier and hidden away…

Latest Discussions