Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mm n
ll

well exactly in this case, thats more or less what he said has happened

No. It exactly didn't. He was throwing a far too powerful jab off the bat and was very unsurprisingly getting caught by a rangier guy.

There is nothing wrong with either version of a jab. Unless you throw them at the wrong time.

So in this particular case better mechanics means a less powerful punch. Because the punch that lands is better than the punch that doesn't.

And this idea transfers in to a bit of boxing concept when we start discussing pacing and cardio.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. It exactly didn't. He was throwing a far too powerful jab off the bat and was very unsurprisingly getting caught by a rangier guy.

There is nothing wrong with either version of a jab. Unless you throw them at the wrong time.

So in this particular case better mechanics means a less powerful punch. Because the punch that lands is better than the punch that doesn't.

And this idea transfers in to a bit of boxing concept when we start discussing pacing and cardio.
how have you arrived at the conclusion his previous jab was'' far to powerful''

thats not included in the data at all

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
how have you arrived at the conclusion his previous jab was'' far to powerful''

thats not included in the data at all

Yes it is.

Sorry. And I arrived there because I understand the subject.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no it isnt

please quote the bit that specified this

"I had both but the elbow flare telegraphed it, even at my speed. So I'm gonna settle with a less powerful one. It will get gradually more powerful."

"It let me down against a taller, rangier opponent where I felt I was reaching for my shots and I just couldn't get off properly."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"I had both but the elbow flare telegraphed it, even at my speed. So I'm gonna settle with a less powerful one. It will get gradually more powerful."

"It let me down against a taller, rangier opponent where I felt I was reaching for my shots and I just couldn't get off properly."

no im looking for something that backs up your specific quote that it was '' FAR to powerful

clearly you have no idea how powerful it was before he modified it, so you dont know if it was powerful, to powerful or indeed the one you went with which was FAR to powerful or indeed non of those

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no im looking for something that backs up your specific quote that it was '' FAR to powerful

clearly you have no idea how powerful it was before he modified it, so you dont know if it was powerful, to powerful or indeed the one you went with which was FAR to powerful or indeed non of those

Yes I do.

Because I understand the subject.

There is a lot of back of house about striking that I am using to apply to these statements.

Just because you don't understand these statements doesn't make them wrong.

So I know a hard jab comes with an elbow flare.

So if he is throwing with the elbow flare and he is getting bashed he is throwing too hard in this particular instance.

Therefore lighter quicker jab is the better mechanics at this time.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes I do.

Because I understand the subject.

There is a lot of back of house about striking that I am using to apply to these statements.

Just because you don't understand these statements doesn't make them wrong.
my understanding is irrelevant the statements are either right or they are wrong and as you have no data on which to base them, there only a very small chance that your correct

saying it just that you understand is just what water diviners say

So again, how have you decided how powerful his jab was before modification ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
my understanding is irrelevant the statements are either right or they are wrong and as you have no data on which to base them, there only a very small chance that your correct

saying it just that you understand is just what water diviners say

His statements are right. Yours are wrong.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me personally. I wouldn't describe it with words. I would have a person stand next to a wall where the punching arm is close enough to punch. That motion that you use to punch when your arm is that close is the motion you use to jab. Remember how it feels and repeat when training.
Glad I read through- this was going to be my suggestion! When you bump your elbow every time you mess it up, you learn to fix it (or at least notice it) real quick.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad I read through- this was going to be my suggestion! When you bump your elbow every time you mess it up, you learn to fix it (or at least notice it) real quick.

You can just throw the vertical fist as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
his statement are probably correct, as far as they go, its your statements that are at issue

Because you don't understand them therefore they are wrong.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like that it takes the guess work out of wondering if the elbows flare and that it doesn't require anyone to watch. Instant feedback.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is actually a video of the drill we're talking about, that shows the flare at the beginning. Basically the elbow pops out to the side instead of going forwards.

Thanks for showing that clip. Now I can understand what your guys are talking about.

I think the issue is one may skip the basic vertical fist training, and jump into the horizontal fist training too soon. Or may be one just tries to integrate jab and hook into one.

The training in the following clip is the 1st move of the 1st form in the long fist system. It can force a beginner to:

- always keep his elbow downward in his straight vertical punch.
- make sure his arm can achieve the maximum extension.

Of course in combat, one will never keep his back arm like that. It's only the basic training for "beginners". If one has drilled this over 5,000 times, he will never raise his elbow side way when he throws a straight punch. After one gets used to this punching path, his horizontal back fist will follow the same path.

Han-punch.gif

Last edited:

Latest Discussions