Switched to ATT Uverse

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
from Time Warner. I went for the bundle deal with phone, internet, and cable tv service. Seems like a great choice so far. The video signal quality is better for me and my download speed is now around 11.5 megabits per second according to speedtest.net. I'm saving almost a hundred bucks a month with even more channels than I had before.

Nice.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
from Time Warner. I went for the bundle deal with phone, internet, and cable tv service. Seems like a great choice so far. The video signal quality is better for me and my download speed is now around 11.5 megabits per second according to speedtest.net. I'm saving almost a hundred bucks a month with even more channels than I had before.

Nice.

I switched from Comcast. I'm happier now too. Just switched a few months ago when I moved.

But here's a fun story...

The reason I switched from Comcast was because I had a six-month introductory rate from Comcast, and when it expired, my monthly bill doubled. So I called them and asked if I could have the 'introductory' rate extended. No. So I asked for a lower-cost option. The only low-cost option they had that gave me high-speed internet and basic (digital) cable was very restricted. My internet speed was pathetic, I could not even make a Skype phone call on it. My cable was so basic, that my previous basic ANALOG cable was better. And even though I did not have an HD tv, my signal kept switching back and forth between regular and HD even during a show - since I had a regular TV, when it went into HD mode, I could not see the sides of the screen. Pathetic.

So I thought I'd give AT&T UVerse a chance when I moved.

I compared both Comcast and AT&T very carefully. All I wanted was digital cable (HD this time, I have an HD TV now). I wanted high-speed internet. No phone.

Comparing apples to apples, at least as best I could, they were roughly equal in price; but Comcast's was lower for six months (another 'introductory' special) and AT&T's was the normal price. Averaged over a year, both came out the same, because Comcast's non-introductory price was much higher than AT&T's normal price; for periods longer than a year, AT&T was cheaper, month-on-month.

The installation was smooth. We had one HD cable box die on us, but they came and replaced it within a few hours. Signal is good, TV is fine, high-speed is high-speed. No problems.

One thing, though.

A week or so after I left Comcast, I got a call from a woman who works for Comcast, asking me to please come back. Thing is, she sounded mad as hell. She was reading from a script, but she was obviously having a very bad day and was letting it show. She asked me why I would not consider coming back and I told her I didn't like the way I was treated. She snapped "Fine!" at me and hung up. OK, fine then.

And it wasn't over. A week later, we got a knock at the door. Some guy from Comcast was ACTUALLY AT THE DOOR, apologizing for having failed us and literally (yes, literally) begging us for our business back.

Sorry, nothing doing. Comcast, you drove us away. I realize you are taking strong countermeasures to win back business you lost; but you're not addressing the core problem; you have not fixed the basic issue. You can't treat customers like crap, then get all lovey-dovey when they quit. Try being nicer all the time.

So it was very weird. But like you, I'm happy with AT&T Uverse now. We'll see how it goes. At least we have a choice if it doesn't work out.

Latest Discussions