My First Submission

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I cannot say that this is my first submission because I submitted my friend the second day we were in class...but we are both new and I am in better shape and it was at the end of class.

But back to the story. So there is this 1 kid in there that is incredibly good and always treats everyone else like crap. It is sort of annoying because I guess he thinks he walks on water. Well since I am close to twice his size(no joke, but he can still submit me), I would knock him over and have to break his guard. Well after knocking him down and him submitting me in some way I finally just allowed him to take me down and I just rolled him and got his back and ended up sitting on his shoulder trying to finish my arm bar. His grip was so strong I couldnt quite break it with my weight so I just got his back and choked him out. The next round I submitted him with a kneck crank and then finally I just got into a side mount and mashed him with all of my weight into the mat and he tapped because I just weighed him down. I know this isn't all that impressive to those of you that know the sport, but it felt really good to shut this kid up and get a little bit of respect for actually accomplishing my goals.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Right on!

I suggest taking your mind away from submissions and focus on the transitions to escape and posture.

If you keep thinking about the subs, you'll have no idea how to play a real game... And definitely not appreciate one.

And start considering submissions the end to something good... Kind of like how Soul Train ruined Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Enjoy!

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Right on!

I suggest taking your mind away from submissions and focus on the transitions to escape and posture.

If you keep thinking about the subs, you'll have no idea how to play a real game... And definitely not appreciate one.

And start considering submissions the end to something good... Kind of like how Soul Train ruined Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Enjoy!

Lol I found this to be very funny and I totally agree. I have been working my butt off trying to transition/fall into/get guard. I am ok at sprawling for a novice, even sprawling the instructor when he tried some kind of takedown on me. I fell into a guillotine almost, but I don't really know the move and we were only doing stand up. So I get what you mean about transitions. I need to not do it like my boxing style which is aggressive lol.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! You should be proud. It does not matter if the submission was done in a manner that is "impressive," a submission is a submission. We all dream of the day we can knock out flying arm locks and look super fancy and high speed, but in reality, a submission is more like a Jackson Pollock painting.

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! You should be proud. It does not matter if the submission was done in a manner that is "impressive," a submission is a submission. We all dream of the day we can knock out flying arm locks and look super fancy and high speed, but in reality, a submission is more like a Jackson Pollock painting.

That certainly makes alot of sense. I am getting better and actually submitting guys now. I just went up against a guy from the Gojo Karate class before mine and they do grappling at the end of their sessions. He was in much better shape than I(albeit more tired), but I was able to get to my guard and triangle him once, arm bar him another, and I actually got his back 1 time and could quite get the rear choke. I did finish that 1 off with a choke from the top though. After that I was tired, but I held him to stalemates and kept him from submitting me.

eagles51593

White Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like that kid needs to be, as we say, "humbled". People with attitudes like that will never be incredibly good, because they will never improve.

Congrats on putting the pressure on him, but remember we are all in this to have fun. Who beats who is meaningless as long as your having a blast doing it. ;)

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congrats. Always nice to have your way against someone who feels they are so much better then everyone else.

Hopefully I will be able to join you in the first submission ranks soon. (At least submissions that mean something to me. Not one of the juniors or someone with even less experience then myself).

Most of whom I roll with are 15-20kg's heavier then me and much more experienced and pretty much transition me at will. (less and less lately though). Almost had my first arm bar the other night. (To tap this bloke out with a genuine submission is actually my new years resolution for the whole year. (out of all my MA goals.).

finally I just got into a side mount and mashed him with all of my weight into the mat and he tapped because I just weighed him down

It's funny as comments from my training partners say that they often are close to tapping from my boney shins against their legs, then I aim for a "proper" submission and it just eases their pain. lol. It'll happen soon though. I'm getting closer. Actually seeing opportunitys now, just need to make it tighter and smoother. (I think as i'm not an expert :p)

JuijitsuDummy

White Belt
Reaction score
That definitely sounds great! Thumbs up for you.
You just have to work more in your technique and transition.

There are a lot of training materials available now a day to promote your submission skills.

Try a grappling dummy.

Latest Discussions