Sumo?

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didn't see a Sumo thread anywhere. I'm not an expert on it but I know there is a lot more to it than just two fat guys trying to bump each other out of the ring.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't see a Sumo thread anywhere. I'm not an expert on it but I know there is a lot more to it than just two fat guys trying to bump each other out of the ring.
Is there?

I mean, there's some Technique to it of course, but ultimately it's two fat guys trying to bump each other out of the ring.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is there?

I mean, there's some Technique to it of course, but ultimately it's two fat guys trying to bump each other out of the ring.

like i said i'm no expert on it, and yes the objective is to push the opponent out of the ring... my former Muay Thai teacher was talking about it and a lot of the techniques that it incorporates... I mean in Japan it is and has been a pretty huge deal

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's actually a whole lot more to it than "2 fat guys slamming into each other." The techniques are reminiscent of judo or jujutsu in many ways, though focused even more narrowly. And those guys play rough -- and keep going through some impressive injuries. Broken fingers are routine during a basho... and as things go on, they get more and more injuries.

taistrong

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think the fat is necessary for sumo. Also it's about not getting stumbled out of the ring.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think the fat is necessary for sumo. Also it's about not getting stumbled out of the ring.
the reason Sumo wrestlers get fat is because there are no weight divisions. so getting as big as possible is beneficial. pre 20th century Sumo wrestlers were actually a lot smaller

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mongolian wrestling is very similar to sumo.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there?

Lyoto machida has trained extensively in it and is he a big fat guy?

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are some sumo techniques found in Daito ryu. Sumo is more than just what is done in modern competition.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed watching Sumo on TV. They used to broadcast a lot of it out here, not so much any more. Or at least it's not on my current cable package.

I find Sumo guys as big, strong men who can fight. As for fat......don't ever make the mistake of thinking a fat guy can't fight. Big mistake.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed watching Sumo on TV. They used to broadcast a lot of it out here, not so much any more. Or at least it's not on my current cable package.

I find Sumo guys as big, strong men who can fight. As for fat......don't ever make the mistake of thinking a fat guy can't fight. Big mistake.

i saw a video where a Sumo wrestler PICKED UP his opponent and slammed him on the ground. I'm guessing the Sumo who got picked up weighed north of 400 pounds.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And look at Roy Big Country Nelson. A true fat guy. And, man, can that boy fight like the Dickens.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's that pic of Butterbean I mentioned. Taken from the back seat of the car.

ButterBean.jpg

Look at that neck. That's a big old neck right there.