Stupid questions re: back hand knife-hand blocks

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
lol haha. The only chance that Chufeng and I would be engaged in a death match would be if he committed high crimes or treason.

Anything less than that, what would happen is both of us being on guard, circling, posing to intercept, waiting for the other to initiate the first attack so we can burst in to counter. After a while, since none us want to initiate the attack, we both get bored and call it off.

OP
C

chufeng

Yup...

I prefer to defend...that is the way our system works.

Not only that, I don't entertain "crossing fists" with folks just to see which art is better...if someone wants to train with us, fine...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Just returning to the original question for a moment
"What is the primary function of a knife hand block?"
I'd have to say that depends on how well [deeply] you understand your art, system, style, call it what you will.
In my experience saving or listing in your mind, particular techniques to answer particular attacks, is a simplistic [and I'm sure] unsuccessful way to go about defending yourself

I understand where the original question came from [a beginner], even so, I think it is the responsibility of those of us who teach to explain to our students what they should be aiming for.

Of course the problem is [and has been for many years], that many who are teaching the martial arts these days are not qualifide to do so. The dog is alive, but shaky on it's feet because it's being wagged by it's tail.

I'd love to hear what Ryu Shin Kan thought about this.
Let's all hold hands and see if we can contact him.........

"Is anybody there............? Knock once for Yes, and twice for No.

Peace and love,
Mike.

OP
C

chufeng

Mike,

I understand your frustration...I share it...

Hopefully the voice of Karate on this board will return...have you noticed how dead this section of the forum has been since he left?

Anyways...Yiliquan1 answered this question from a Chinese perspective...

I can use the knife hand block to "attach" to the opponent (kind of a parry with molasses)...
or to deflect and redirect...
or to attack significant points on the attacking limb...
or to simply stop THAT attack...
but then again, the knife hand block MAY be more than a block...
I mean, if I'm not in the line of fire, because I've moved, the knife hand block MAY be a counterattack.

But that is another thread...nice to see you posting AND supporting RSK...

chufeng

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Hey Chufeng,

In Goju-ryu I understand the 'Sticky' feeling you spoke of as "Muchimi". It 's a word used in Okinawa to discribe the way rice goes when you pound it in cooking [very sticky].
Anyway, it is possible to control attacking arms, legs, or bodies without the need to grab or hold on, if one has a good sense of 'muchimi'. The feeling is not exclusive to the contact between two people as it also speaks to the way you make contact with the ground [from where one draws ones stability and strenght] as well.

As you said, this [or any other technique for that matter] block can be turned into any number of things depending on the level of understanding the person using it has. This is one of the reasons I feel the concept of 'style' is limited to the early stages of learning. You know, it's like the old saying about there being many pathways to the top of the mountain, but from the top the view is the same for all.
Some folk mistake the top of a ridge for the summit, and that's when we find people asking questions like the one at the start of this thread.

I'm looking to the East [well North actually:D ] and waiting.
[if you listen, you can hear the music from Close Encounters]
Da...Da...Da Darrr.....Darrr.

Mike.

OP
Y

yilisifu

Mike,
You hit it on the head!

Ooh. Look at the pretty lights.....

;)

OP
M

Mike Clarke

You know, that last post would be a whole lot funnier if I hadn't been 'clocked' on the head so much over the years:D

What was the name of that block we were talking about????

Mike.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Mike Clarke
I'd love to hear what Ryu Shin Kan thought about this.
Let's all hold hands and see if we can contact him.........

"Is anybody there............? Knock once for Yes, and twice for No.

In the immortal words of “Lurch” from the Adam’s Family (TV Show not the stupid movie)

“You rang?”

Originally posted by Little_Shoto
1)What is the primary purpose of the back-hand knife hand block? (I know it's a block ..but it it to block a punch?)

Think about this:
You have two hands and use them both during any technique so what is the other hand doing (the one that ends up closest to you) at the beginning of the technique and then at the end of the technique?
Where do you think the most effective place to strike would be for the hand that ends up farthest away?
Does either hand trap anything?

2) If it used much in tournement/real life situations?

For the techniques I know for this move it is only done in real life.

I know, I know ...I'm a noobie. I know nothing, so that's why I am asking. :) I asked my sensei and he gave me a long winded response that put me to sleep. lol

Please don’t be disrespectful to your teacher. Nobody has all the answers and some people would rather answer a question than have you go away empty handed. If you are not happy with the answer then do your own research and see what you can come up with.

OP
S

ShobukanGoju

hiya, first post here. :)

my theory is this. why waste a hand/forearm with a block, when it can be doubly used as a strike?

knife hand blocks are great, one of my favorite. if done right, on an unconditioned arm, it stings the person enough to allow you to set up your followup.

take the move out of the kata (pretty much any kata actually). bunkai shows it as a strike.

(hmm, i think i just gave away too much. lol)

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Shobukan Goju,
Welcome to the board. You don't give away too much on your profile, so how about filling us/me in a little on your background, length of time training etc?

A lot of people training in martial arts these days never condition for it. They get fit sure, but that's not the same thing at all.
Ude-kite and general Hojo-undo is a must I think if you want your waza to work.

Mike.

OP
S

ShobukanGoju

sorry about that, ive updated my profile as best I could.. :)

all of my experience has been in gojuryu, for approx 3.5 yrs. id love to learn more arts, but cant see how just yet, as there is so much to learn just within one!

OP
M

Mike Clarke

ShobukanGoju [or can I just call you shobu:D ]

You're right when you say there is so much to learn in any one system. You seem to be well connected in the Goju-ryu system already, so my advice would be to resist the temptation some people have to 'shop around'.

Enter Deeply, as they say, and you'll find everything you're looking for. At the end of the day, all those who manage to climb to the top of the mountain, share the same view, and how they got there becomes unimportant.

Look forward to reading more of your posts.

Mike.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
In the immortal words of “Lurch” from the Adam’s Family (TV Show not the stupid movie)

“You rang?”

Think about this:
You have two hands and use them both during any technique so what is the other hand doing (the one that ends up closest to you) at the beginning of the technique and then at the end of the technique?
Where do you think the most effective place to strike would be for the hand that ends up farthest away?
Does either hand trap anything?

For the techniques I know for this move it is only done in real life.

Please don’t be disrespectful to your teacher. Nobody has all the answers and some people would rather answer a question than have you go away empty handed. If you are not happy with the answer then do your own research and see what you can come up with.

Welcome back Robert. We have all missed you and your input.

--Dave

Latest Discussions