stupid question?

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is there a belt system in Muay Thai or is it more like a boxing gym where you just go and work out? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all. There are no belt grades in MT, they do have a system separating students and coaches though but someone else would have to talk about that.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it's not a "belt" per se, I know of a few MT clubs that do use a colored band ranking system. I think it's as much a concession to what people want as anything...

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My trainer uses a belt system with the usual white to black setup. He's a traditional Thai trainer and back in Thailand he didn't use them. Seems like it's a Western convention.

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are belts in muay thai, based on various thai animal forms of fighting.

Lowest is soi dog, highest is golden elephant.

I can train you and rank you officially complete system to golden elephant level 50 for only $599 USD. Just email me your credit card details and I'll send you the complete course and certificates and belts.

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been Soi Dog for ages now, working on Nahling. Sounds like a good deal Akira, as soon as my Nigerian lottery winnings have cleared i'll wire you over the money. I've paid a nice Nigerian man the deposit so it shouldn't be too long now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been Soi Dog for ages now, working on Nahling. Sounds like a good deal Akira, as soon as my Nigerian lottery winnings have cleared i'll wire you over the money. I've paid a nice Nigerian man the deposit so it shouldn't be too long now.

Thought your style was Eckythump? :)

grado

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are no belt rankings in the Muay Thai system. However, under the Thai Boxing Association of USA there are three levels for student to achieve. Level one, level two and instructor level. Each level takes 1 to two years of training to achieve. However, there are preliminary tests every 3 to 4 months between each levels.