Strength & Conditioning for the Martial Arts/Combat Sports

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Skull crusher....a triceps exercise.

Lay on back on bench. Barbell held in narrow grip with arms extended like a bench press. Bend elbows till hands are just above forehead or head crown. Extend back to start position.

oh! i know what that is, i just... didn't know they had a name for it :)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the Tabata routine you do? (inc. times) I did it a few years back using just body mass exercises. But am thinking of playing around with it while I have some extra time each week.

OP
Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whats the Tabata routine you do? (inc. times) I did it a few years back using just body mass exercises. But am thinking of playing around with it while I have some extra time each week.
I use two kettlebells for my Tabata routine - one 12kg bell, and another 16kg bell.

15secs - One-Hand Swings: 16kg RIGHT HAND
15secs - REST
15secs - Snatches: 12kg RIGHT HAND
15secs - REST
15secs - One-Hand Swings: 16kg LEFT LAND
15secs - REST
15secs - Snatches: 12kg LEFT LAND
15secs - REST
15secs - One-Hand Swings: 16kg RIGHT HAND
15secs - REST
15secs - Snatches: 12kg RIGHT HAND
15secs - REST
15secs - One-Hand Swings: 16kg LEFT LAND
15secs - REST
15secs - Snatches: 12kg LEFT LAND
15secs - REST

The whole routine takes approx. 4 minutes. Good metabolic workout that I guarantee will get your heart racing.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a tabada? Sounds like weird part of a persons body o_O... but im almost certain thats wrong

OP
Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What a tabada? Sounds like weird part of a persons body o_O... but im almost certain thats wrong
Sounds like something to be found in the cranial cavity, doesn't it?:p IIRC, the bloke who designed it was Japanese. It's a form of High Intensity Interval Training. Take any exercise (preferably appropriate for cardio or high # of repetitions - in my case it's kettlebell ballistics), and do it as hard as you can for 20 seconds, then take a 10 second rest, then do it again, you get the idea. I prefer to use a 1:1 work-rest ratio as of the moment, because I've tried the 2:1 with the 12kg and 16kg KB's and it took well over 15 minutes before my heart rate went down. Don't think I'm quite ready for that yet.

Try it with push-ups, squats, or even burpees or mountain climbers!
Tabata sparring would be interesting.
I'm not too sure what can be crammed into 15-20 second intervals with regard to sparring, but I have incorporated a similar concept into my training. I space 5 minute gaps between rounds and squeeze in a 3-minute kettle-bell routine in between consisting of quick pulls (swings, snatches, cleans) to gas me out and force me harder. The remaining two minutes are divided into 2 1-minute breaks before and after the mini-routine. Done wonders for me endurance and work capacity since then.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like something to be found in the cranial cavity, doesn't it?:p IIRC, the bloke who designed it was Japanese. It's a form of High Intensity Interval Training. Take any exercise (preferably appropriate for cardio or high # of repetitions - in my case it's kettlebell ballistics), and do it as hard as you can for 20 seconds, then take a 10 second rest, then do it again, you get the idea. I prefer to use a 1:1 work-rest ratio as of the moment, because I've tried the 2:1 with the 12kg and 16kg KB's and it took well over 15 minutes before my heart rate went down. Don't think I'm quite ready for that yet.

Try it with push-ups, squats, or even burpees or mountain climbers!

I'm not too sure what can be crammed into 15-20 second intervals with regard to sparring, but I have incorporated a similar concept into my training. I space 5 minute gaps between rounds and squeeze in a 3-minute kettle-bell routine in between consisting of quick pulls (swings, snatches, cleans) to gas me out and force me harder. The remaining two minutes are divided into 2 1-minute breaks before and after the mini-routine. Done wonders for me endurance and work capacity since then.

I am assuming some hella pace.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Give it a shot, or come up with your own take on it and let me know how it works out for you. :)

We do almost that at 30 second blats.

For things like wrestling and mma where we may tend to get a bit comfortable or polite.

And just push super hard grinds.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you go flack knack with a kettle bell?

OP
Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How do you go flack knack with a kettle bell?
By flack knack you mean?:/

Kettlebells are best used with slow, grinding pushes (presses, get-ups, static overhead holds, etc.) and quick, snappy lifts (swings, cleans, high pulls, snatches, etc,). If you're asking how you go all out with a K-bell in a Tabata routine for example, or HIIT in general, it's with a high # of reps. In the case of the Tabata workout, it's squeezing as many repetitions in a 20-sec period. The heavier the bell, the more intense the exercise.:)

Latest Discussions