Street Fighting - The new Martial Art?

W

Withered Soul

Well, is it? What differant is it to Kickboxing or Muay Thai? They both kick and punch. What is the differance? What's your opinion on it?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Street fighting is hardly a martial art, though it may be a contest of martial skill. Every legitimate martial art has at least something in it that can be applied to street fighting. Just take away the rules and add hate.

The major difference between a street fight and what we do in practice (or in a match) is the opponents' willingness to truly hurt each other, and the fear of what happens to the loser.

OP
Y

yilisifu

We must remember the word "art." Without that, all we have are sophisticated forms of street-fighting.

OP
E

Elfan

A "street fighter" usually refers to one who uses "underhand methods" (ie doesn't fight "fair", which is a good thing) or someone who learned to fight from experience as opposed to formal training.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Street fighter - One who has a life expectency rate comparable to that of one who runs between two armies shooting each other.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think street fighting is the next martial art as much as "drive bys" are the next military.

Fighting is an action, not an art form or system.

7sm

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Street fighting: fighting for the sake of fighting, the perverse enjoyment of inflicting pain on another human being, undisciplined brawling to prove who the big dog on the block is. Pop culture.

Martial Arts: fighting for the sake of defense of yourself or others, the honorable enjoyment of knowing that you inflicted only as much pain on another human being needed to cease an undesirable action, disciplined action to prove that you have grown beyond the level of being a "dog" at all. Ancient CULTURE.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
Street fighting: fighting for the sake of fighting, the perverse enjoyment of inflicting pain on another human being, undisciplined brawling to prove who the big dog on the block is. Pop culture.

Martial Arts: fighting for the sake of defense of yourself or others, the honorable enjoyment of knowing that you inflicted only as much pain on another human being needed to cease an undesirable action, disciplined action to prove that you have grown beyond the level of being a "dog" at all. Ancient CULTURE.

That rocks.

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
I define "Art" as an expression of an emotional and/or psychological experience, manifested into some tangible physical form. "Martial," to me, means war. "Streetfight" simply applies (to me that is) as an act of combat which is not bounded by any rules agreed upon by either party.

So, with these parameters...no, I don't think "Streetfighting" is a "Martial Art", much less the new "Martial Art."

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
STReet fighting IS A MARTIAL ART.... it is fighting....

fighting is a martial art

when a fighter beats you and he has no previous "martial art" experience HE IS STILL A BETTER MARTIAL ARTIST THAN YOU......

just because he doesnt have a belt or knows respect and bows or kneeling on his knee does not make him less of a martial artist than you... respect him for his fighting ability.....

for example in the Pilipino martial arts we do not bow we do not kneel we dont wear belts. we just learn to fight. this is martial arts

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by moromoro
STReet fighting IS A MARTIAL ART.... it is fighting....

when a fighter beats you and he has no previous "martial art" experience HE IS STILL A BETTER MARTIAL ARTIST THAN YOU......

just because he doesnt have a belt or knows respect and bows or kneeling on his knee does not make him less of a martial artist than you... respect him for his fighting ability.....

for example in the Pilipino martial arts we do not bow we do not kneel we dont wear belts. we just learn to fight. this is martial arts

That is one of the more ridiculous things ive read in here. Martial arts with out the philosphy and the development of the individual is just organised street fighting. If a guy beats a martial artist in a fight he is a better fighter but in no way is he a martial artist. There are far more things to the martial arts than just fighting. Moromoro i'm sure that since you've been at your school your attitude at least must have improved somewhat and not just your fighting ability. Through street fighting the only thing a street fighter develops is his ego.

Cheers
Sammy

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro

Fighting does not equate to art, go check out a dictionary.

Originally posted by moromoro in the Pilipino martial arts we do not bow we do not kneel we dont wear belts. we just learn to fight. this is martial arts

There is a custom where in Philipino stick fighters not only bow to each other, kneel on one knee. Before you spout offabout what you know, you might do well with some homework first.

WI

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"There is a custom where in Philipino stick fighters not only bow to each other, kneel on one knee. "

No kidding, sounds like someone is showing him the moves of an art but not an actual martial art. No wonder he has such a bad attitude, bad instructors that don't teach properly ruin the martial arts.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When someone says "I'm a streetfighter", he's saying "I havn't trained in anything, but I'm good at beating up other guys who likewise have no training".

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

OP
R

rmcrobertson

I wanted to briefly respond to some of the ideas here, especially the ones about a) being a "streetfighter," and b) confusing fighting with being a martial artist.

My guess is that almost anybody who claims to be a streetfighter isn't; and nobody, at all, who decides to go out and become a streetfighter will ever become one.

Why? "Real" streetfighters are made by the world they live in. They don't choose to be born poor and out of luck; they don't choose to be born into some version of a ghetto. They were unlucky enough to be born into street violence, and for some driving reason they chose to respond to that with more violence. It's nothing to be particularly proud of--like saying, "I'm better than you because I was born blond"--it's just the way it is. No "choice," involved. Are they tough? You bet.

If they're smart--they fight less and less with each passing year. Why? because their lives suck, and get worse if they keep it up.

As for choosing to grow up and become a streetfighter--why the hell would anybody want to do that? A life of violence and pain, for yourself as well as others? And forget about separating one part of your life from others--cops, who had pretty much better be streetfighters, are at risk for personal, marital, and all sorts of problems. (No, not all of them. Of course not; not even a majority. But a high percentage--just like psychiatrists, who are at risk for suicide and depression.) Why? Because nobody can completely separate the different aspects of their lives.

More than that, I don't believe that any school can teach you to become a streetfighter. How would you do that? ("For your first-level training, you must give up your job and go live in the local rathole. For second level, start hanging out in biker bars...") They can perhaps help you become a martial artist. Which is better anyway.

Why? Well, martial artists often know the difference between fighting and self-defense. And fighting? They're not into it. A guy could get hurted. And then there's the old, old story--the study of the art (and oddly enough, even the "practical," styles claim this) is about the perfection of the human being, not about learning to beat people up.

But then, everybody knows that.

Thanks,
Robert

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The difference between a seasoned streetfighter and a martial artist is your level of comfort. Fighting without rules on a regular basis, if nothing else, will give a guy a been there done that feeling which on some level allows for relaxation and the ability to think. A martial artist, depending on the type of training, may feel a little out of place when things start happening that he or she has not trained for. The nice thing about martial arts is you can train for as many things as you can think of. Unfortunantly all to many schools specialize in one range or another and tell themselves they are to damn good to be confronted at ranges they have not trained for. Imagine the feeling in the pit of the stomach of a trained kicker with his jacket pulled over his or her head.
Respectfully

OP
A

andurilking2

quote: Originally posted by theletch1

very admirable sentiment i agree 100%
(excellent choice of verbatim) :asian: :D

OP
J

jwreck

Well, I consider myself a martial artist first, but I definitely have experience from "street fighting" that no martial art could teach you. After working in night clubs for years, I've been involved in more bar brawls than I can remember, and one thing I know for sure is that brawling is not martial arts. I also know that a seasoned brawler will make all but the most highly trained martial artist look stupid in a bar fight. Fortunately, there are only a few seasoned brawlers out there. Why? Because they don't last long. It doesn't take too many nights of spitting out teeth to realize that its a stupid way to live. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that street fighting and martial arts are about as related as marksmenship and fighting in a war. They may have some similarities, but overall, they are worlds apart.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by jwreck
Well, I consider myself a martial artist first, but I definitely have experience from "street fighting" that no martial art could teach you. After working in night clubs for years, I've been involved in more bar brawls than I can remember, and one thing I know for sure is that brawling is not martial arts. I also know that a seasoned brawler will make all but the most highly trained martial artist look stupid in a bar fight. Fortunately, there are only a few seasoned brawlers out there. Why? Because they don't last long. It doesn't take too many nights of spitting out teeth to realize that its a stupid way to live. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that street fighting and martial arts are about as related as marksmenship and fighting in a war. They may have some similarities, but overall, they are worlds apart.
A seasoned brawler without formal training is juse a seasoned brawler, not even coming close to his physical or mental potential.

Since you brought up the military analogy, how about the old days with the draft and today's military?

During the old draft days, after boot camp and some minimal training, they were sent off to war. Many were inexperienced but became battle-hardened. This was the case in WWII where the Americans at first had trouble fighting in Africa. This was also the case in Vietnam.

Today's military is highly trained soldiers. Even if you are not a member of an elite force such as the Army's Special Forces or the Army Rangers, Navy SEALs, Marine Recon, etc., you still have at least 2-3 years of training before you are even put out on an important mission. And you continue training as long as you are enlisted or comissioned. The highly trained soldiers of today have lots of formal training, but many don't have a lot of combat experience like the men have had during WWII. And industrial-age warfare was on a MUCH grander scale than today's precision-type attacks.

Which is more effective? The experienced combat veteran with minimal formal training, or today's yellow but highly trained soldier?