Stigma Against Women Who Wrestle

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where I live and where I'm from, there's an apparent dislike or stigma against girls who grapple or do mixed martial arts.

Even back in high school when I showed interest in wrestling, I got so many weird looks from my friends for liking that kind of sport of cheerleading or swimming. I was a gymnast for over 10 years, so I get why they'd want me to go cheerleading, but I've always liked the idea of taking someone out using well-placed strikes or a good choke. You wouldn't believe how many friends of mine dropped like flies when I took up kickboxing like y'all saw in the video sample I showed you.

And even in college now, as soon as I mention the fact that I wrestle to a guy, conversation's over...

So why do you think there's a stigma against girls who wrestle? It's the 21st century!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't know. I don't think it happens much in MMA clubs but I have spoken to girls who have experienced that.

So it is definitely a thing.

Having said that I know girlfriends who are not on board with the whole fighting buisness as well.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my co-workers 14 year old's HS wrestling coach called him and told him he needed to have a talk him about putting forth effort. Apparently a 16 year old female has been whipping him every day in practice.

Come to find out the girl is really good looking and my co-workers son is just scared to touch her because she is a good looking girl.....:D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So why do you think there's a stigma against girls who wrestle?
I'm a Chinese wrestling coach. One day someone said he had strong rooting and nobody could uproot him. I taught the "elephant nose embracing" that day.

- You use one arm to surround your opponent's waist from behind.
- You use your forearm to strike up between his legs.
- You then lift him up off the ground.

I then realized my male students were afraid to use this technique on their female partners. Also this technique may not work well on a female student.

elephant_nose.jpg

Last edited:

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a mixture of insecurity or it just not being their thing. I wouldn't mind a chick being able to beat my *** but I can see how some guys might feel emasculated by it. In the "not being their thing" regard, some people just don't have an interest in MMA or grappling (they're crazy, I know) or for whatever reason don't see it as a women's sport.

OP
Brownielox

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of my co-workers 14 year old's HS wrestling coach called him and told him he needed to have a talk him about putting forth effort. Apparently a 16 year old female has been whipping him every day in practice.

Come to find out the girl is really good looking and my co-workers son is just scared to touch her because she is a good looking girl.....:D
HA!! Love it!! Sounds like the kind of thing I'd be into if my HS actually allowed girls on the team.....

I think it's a mixture of insecurity or it just not being their thing. I wouldn't mind a chick being able to beat my *** but I can see how some guys might feel emasculated by it. In the "not being their thing" regard, some people just don't have an interest in MMA or grappling (they're crazy, I know) or for whatever reason don't see it as a women's sport.
I agree with the first part. That was my suspicion too. Without going too far into too many personal details, I have (had?) an ex who introduced me to catch wrestling/grappling/MMA. His insecurities only grew the following months after I whooped his ***, sorry to brag.....and I should've known that he only felt that way because he didn't think it was "proper" for a girl to beat him. He's lost to guys before, but when he lost to me??? Oh no....he couldn't have that.... >_>

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a Chinese wrestling coach. One day someone said he had strong rooting and nobody could uproot him. I taught the "elephant nose embracing" that day.

- You use one arm to surround your opponent's waist from behind.
- You use your forearm to strike up between his legs.
- You then lift him up off the ground.

I then realized my male students were afraid to use this technique on their female partners. Also this technique may not work well on a female student.

elephant_nose.jpg

I avoid front kicking girls because I tend to kick them in the boob.

But then they tend to excessively ***** about it.

My coach is merciless about the concept. Its legal. Deal.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone who's got a problem with it needs to get into the 21st century. I know in my Thai boxing gym the best fighter there is a 17 year old girl who's won a British title recently and there's a number of good females. Not so much In my jiu jitsu club but there's a few girls in the kids class who do it.

There shouldn't be a stigma around it. Anyone can get attacked so anyone should be able to protect themselves

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I avoid front kicking girls because I tend to kick them in the boob.

But then they tend to excessively ***** about it.

My coach is merciless about the concept. Its legal. Deal.

I assume he's also quite happy with kicking males in the nuts as well, which is only fair. Kicking people chest height is actually less effective than kicking other targets but if he wants you to be less effective I suppose it's his business.

The argument against women in combat sports is that seeing 'girls' ( they never call us women you notice) being hit, which is a nonsense frankly. I've been in martial arts fro decades and nearly 20 decades in MMA, pushing the limits for women is a daily occupation. I know many very good female MMA fighters and to the people who matter to them they are great, the people who don't matter, really don't matter.
You have to go your own way, do what is right for you. Slowly perception is changing about female fighters as MMA itself is more and more accepted as a mainstream sport.

On the subject of cheerleading, the sport not the dancey, stuff you see at football games etc, real cheerleading, which people have as many misconceptions about as they do women fighting is quite dangerous, very athletic and is fighting to be accepted as the sport it is. the stunts they do are terrifying and the teams are more than not co-ed. My daughter has had more injuries from cheer than ever she did from martial arts.

We don't have 'high school wrestling' in this country, wrestling itself isn't, despite Lancashire being the home of catch wrestling ( the original Snake Pit is still going) popular here. Judo and BJJ is though, I haven't seen much if any discrimination against females in these though.

Whatever you do there will be people who think it's wrong, dump these and be with the people who want what you want for yourself.

You may have seen the news about the recent fire in the tower block in London, the Fire Commissioner for London is female, she worked her way up from being a firefighter dealing with the prejudices against women in the fire service and over 30 years has proved them all wrong and is an outstanding firefighter and leader. The chief police officer of London is a woman as is the chief ambulance officer, all women who have fought for their jobs in a previously male oriented world and have gained the respect of everyone, if you want it, work hard you will get where you want to be.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
And even in college now, as soon as I mention the fact that I wrestle to a guy, conversation's over...
At college age I would say some guys have an ego problem. They are just leaving home and need to feel like they are not children anymore. If a woman can beat them up it can make them feel like a child again.
I am curious about what part of the world your from. Your description sounds more like a cultural issue.
Also , many men find strong women attractive. But it's usually because they are confident themselves and it doesn't hurt their ego.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where I live and where I'm from, there's an apparent dislike or stigma against girls who grapple or do mixed martial arts.

Even back in high school when I showed interest in wrestling, I got so many weird looks from my friends for liking that kind of sport of cheerleading or swimming. I was a gymnast for over 10 years, so I get why they'd want me to go cheerleading, but I've always liked the idea of taking someone out using well-placed strikes or a good choke. You wouldn't believe how many friends of mine dropped like flies when I took up kickboxing like y'all saw in the video sample I showed you.

So why do you think there's a stigma against girls who wrestle? It's the 21st century!

Different social circles have different cultural tastes, I suppose.
But there's something about a Tom Boy (my wife) in a pretty dress, that just makes me forget how to even talk.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different social circles have different cultural tastes, I suppose.
But there's something about a Tom Boy (my wife) in a pretty dress, that just makes me forget how to even talk.

Why though is your wife described as a 'tom boy' ? Not fitting into narrow confines of prescribed behaviour and dress doesn't make a female a tomboy, it makes her an individual.
I wonder if she thinks the same about you when you wear a dress? :D

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
See that is the difference between men and women ....
If a woman doesn't wear underwear, men say it's sexy
If a man doesn't wear underwear, women say eeeeeewwwww.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See that is the difference between men and women ....
If a woman doesn't wear underwear, men say it's sexy
If a man doesn't wear underwear, women say eeeeeewwwww.

It depends on who and where, in Scotland for example men have long gone commando. ;)

OP
Brownielox

Brownielox

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At college age I would say some guys have an ego problem. They are just leaving home and need to feel like they are not children anymore. If a woman can beat them up it can make them feel like a child again.
I am curious about what part of the world your from. Your description sounds more like a cultural issue.
Also , many men find strong women attractive. But it's usually because they are confident themselves and it doesn't hurt their ego.
Southeast US. Haha I would agree with the leaving home part, if it weren't for the fact that A LOT of my guy friends starting acting like losers:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: whenever I could finally beat them in armwrestling or actual wrestling. It probably didn't help that both of those happened in public, or at least in front of our other friends hahaha

Ha! I'd like to meet a man who actually likes my strength and isn't afraid of it...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why though is your wife described as a 'tom boy' ? Not fitting into narrow confines of prescribed behaviour and dress doesn't make a female a tomboy, it makes her an individual.
I wonder if she thinks the same about you when you wear a dress? :D

Because she is a tomboy. Here's the definition from the urban dictionry, seems to fit her best -

A young girl who would rather be playing football in the rain than out shopping and boy hunting. Hangs out with boys. Does not care about what other people think of her, nor does she judge others for the way they are. Very sporty, and does not follow the latest fashion trends. Does not make fun of what most people would call " nerds " or " geeks ", and in fact befriends them most of the time.

Although she is no longer a "young girl", everything else is quite apt.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tomboy is pretty common vernacular in the US. Does it have different connotations in the U.K.? I would call my wife a tomboy too. Doesn't wear makeup or dresses, likes to go hiking and play video games, etc. I'm not sure I could ever be with a "girly girl". After sex, it would just be like... now what? Because you don't actually have anything in common.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 decades in MMA? I knew you were old, Tez. But I didn't think you were THAT OLD :)

That's what happens when you are posting while watching the racing at Ascot on the television and shouting at it! We had a good day yesterday with a first and second in the same race, not so good today with a second. Saw quite a bit of my son-in-law looking very cool and collected in the heat. Female jockeys doing well getting rides at Ascot, need one to win! American horses are doing well.

Tomboy is pretty common vernacular in the US. Does it have different connotations in the U.K.? I would call my wife a tomboy too. Doesn't wear makeup or dresses, likes to go hiking and play video games, etc. I'm not sure I could ever be with a "girly girl". After sex, it would just be like... now what? Because you don't actually have anything in common.

Girly girl and tomboy as descriptions of things not real females. We can be what ever we want surely without being labelled. Who says women who like hiking can't wear makeup, or someone who wears a dress can't play video games? Stop with this labelling and see women as women. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Girly girl and tomboy as descriptions of things not real females. We can be what ever we want surely without being labelled.
i understand what your saying but labels are equal opportunity, guys are jocks, motorheads, nerds, dorks and many other names. its not always a bad thing. the OP seems to like the label badass :)

Latest Discussions