Stick forms

• Thread starter Owwthathurt,showmeagian
  • Start date
O

Owwthathurt,showmeagian

Hello all

Well i just want to know, if you can help me.

Trying to learn stick forms, and i know they flow but i might (still am) be new. It's hard to learn the flow of them. If any one can give me some pointers please help me.

I have 1-2-3 forms down and learning 4 as of the moment, just having some problems with the fluidity(sp) of the movement. I see diff ma and see them stall or slow down to "point out a move"? Do we need to do that in forms, or do we just flow?

I guess what im trying to say is I feel like im clubbing thru the forms,

please help

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Welcome to MartialTalk!!!

Yeah, it may seem that when you first learn the forms, the moves seem static because the movements are new and being developed into muscle memory, however, the more you do them, the more fluid the movements will become especially as you piece the parts together.

Please note that the stick forms are heavily built on ocho-ocho (upward and downward figure-eight) so practicing those striking styles will help in developing fluidity.

Best regards,

Palusut

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Owwthathurt said:
Hello all
I guess what im trying to say is I feel like im clubbing thru the forms,

please help

try doing with a sword...you'll get more cutting, slashing and fluid movement

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! :)

Datu Hartman has a CD out that has the Modern Arnis forms on it. We have a clip up in the video library here: http://www.martialtalk.com/videos/anyolima.mpg
(352 x 240 10.9mb).

Tim (who I believe was teh forms guy when Remy was alive) does them with a more 'karate' flavor, meaning a harder approach. I don't know if he has a forms video out, but I've heard Datu Worden does them with a softer feel to them. My personal preference is a more 'tai-chi' like flow rather than a 1-2-3 hard karate method. Randy Schea also I believe has a forms video, however I haven't seen it yet so can't say what his approach is.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Owwthathurt said:
sry,Chris manley

Hi Chris.

IMHO, learn the basic movements, then do them the way you see fit. For learning the basic movements, doing it in steps is sometimes the easiest way to learn it. From there, do it how you'd like; flow or ridged. Forms are a tempelate for your own expression; that's how I teach them anyways.

If your a part of a larger organization or school, I say do what the instructor wants. Your instructor or organization may want it done a standardize way for his own group. What you do on your own is your choice, however.

Question: who do you train with? If your looking for a product, who you train with may be a factor in what might be best for you.

Paul

p.s. I see that you said your from Warren. If that's Warren Michigan, then your welcome to stop in on my class in Rochester. Private Message me for more info. :asian:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
try doing with a sword...you'll get more cutting, slashing and fluid movement

With all due respect, try a training sword or machete first, its more forgiving! :jedi1: :knight: :samurai: :ninja: :anic:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

I do them according to the nature of the weapon used. I hammer witht he cane and cut with the bolo. With the cane you need to blast so I use much more of a karate motion, crank it up and fire. With the bolo, a contact and draw action of the slash is much more appropriate so that's what I do. The stances are more fixed in my cane applications while they are more fluid and directional stepping oriented in the bolo applications. Does this answer your question?

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Kaith, RP relied on me as to forms in the Pacific NW. Tim wasn't the only one. DA

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For emptyhand applications, might I reccommend the book Mano Y Mano by Master Dan Anderson? Not many (if any?) other books which address this issue, and in my opinion, understanding emptyhand applications is tantamount to really "owning" the movements. :asian:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The stick forms are in the Modern Arnis "Pink" Book by Remy Presas.

The stick and empty hand forms are on the 1980's Modern Arnis tape series by Remy Presas.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
The stick forms are in the Modern Arnis "Pink" Book by Remy Presas.

The stick and empty hand forms are on the 1980's Modern Arnis tape series by Remy Presas.

Don't forget they are also in Remy's first tape series. :asian:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Renegade said:
Don't forget they are also in Remy's first tape series. :asian:

Hi Tim,

Wasn't the 1980's tapes the first tapes that he did. You know the ones with Jim and Judy Clapp and and Sifu Lee Lowery?

Thanks,

Harold

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Tim,

Wasn't the 1980's tapes the first tapes that he did. You know the ones with Jim and Judy Clapp and and Sifu Lee Lowery?

Thanks,

Harold

I didn't see the whoe posy. I was multi tasking! They are the tapes I was refering to.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Yeah Right Tim, What were you really up to? :partyon: :uhyeah: :xtrmshock :ladysman:

If I told you it might cause an international incident.

:partyon:

OP
O

Owwthathurt,showmeagian

Thanks for the pointers guys Ill try them out tomarrow

And i must say, you all seem great and very professional, this is a great place thank you

chris

Latest Discussions