Steven Seagal and Jesse Emkamp

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score

how did you guys feel about Seagal Sensei’s technique

Judo boi

White Belt
Reaction score
I would give him more credit if he applied his techniques to a resisting opponent, but sure they look ok on paper

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would give him more credit if he applied his techniques to a resisting opponent, but sure they look ok on paper

He got in trouble for doing that.

Otherwise surprise surprise. Another successful big Aikido guy.

Look. I have tried standing wrist locks on uncooperative people a lot. And the method Segal uses doesn't ever seem to work very well.

There is just too much that can go wrong. And you are relying too much on that snap of a technique. And a fight is so fast and so risky that I don’t feel it is a reliable approach.

Bear in mind if you don't grab their arm in these sequences. They can punch you in the face and you basically can't stop them.

And so it either straight up doesn't work or it hurts people or it does both.

And there are much easier ways to hurt people if that is your jam.

What I did find worked is shutting down their options. Breaking their structure and hitting the lock from a safe position using a methodical approach.

Here is an exampleof Aikido performed live.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as atemi goes. Yes you can punch them and secure a wrist. But they are also punching you at this point. This is quite possibly why you are fighting them in the first place.

It isn’t some sort of get out of jail free card. It is an exchange where the better puncher will have advantage. Atemi doesn't just allow for wrist locks. It very effectively allows for more Atemi.

So now you go from this high percentage technique. (Punching dudes) to this low percentage(grabbing wrists) vs theor high percentage(punching you back) to this other high percentage(more punching) and they can spend a lot less time developing that to be effective than it takes to catch a wrist out of thin air.

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My "favourite" part of those videos was the constant references to severing the spinal column. I mean do his hands have razor sharp blades welded to them?!

Judo boi

White Belt
Reaction score
Haha yes, he will never live that one down
I heard he was also ducking a confrontation with Van Damme back in the day

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I once had opportunity to meet a man who was Seagal’s teaching partner in Japan. Based on the quality of that man, I have to believe Seagal’s aikido at least was very good in the past. I have no idea if he still maintains his training or skills at a high level today. He has also made some questionable moves in his life, but I guess that isn’t for me to judge, beyond my own opinion. I found the video interesting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Seagal is (literally) a big, fat fraud and a vile human being.
Big, sure. Clearly fat. Vile human being? Well, I've heard about some pretty vile stuff, so maybe.

But I'm curious about this fraud thing... what makes you say that? His Aikido looks like pretty much all aikido.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once had opportunity to meet a man who was Seagal’s teaching partner in Japan. Based on the quality of that man, I have to believe Seagal’s aikido at least was very good in the past. I have no idea if he still maintains his training or skills at a high level today. He has also made some questionable moves in his life, but I guess that isn’t for me to judge, beyond my own opinion. I found the video interesting.
From what I've seen, his technical skill looks solid. And the little bit of actual teaching I've seen on Youtube also looked pretty good.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I won't watch anything with Seagal in it. He was in part the reason I started training in Aikido back in the day. But then I learned more about him. My instructor was one of his first teachers in California. And yes he is a vile person and pathological liar.
That being said, back in the day, his technique while distinctly his interpretation was very good. But its easier to toss around 5ft,5 japanese guys when you like head and shoulders taller.

brian k

White Belt
Reaction score

how did you guys feel about Seagal Sensei’s technique
In regards to Sensei Steven Seagal's technique, (the question asked) I thought he showed good, crisp, clean and accurate technique. In other words, he looked great executing the techniques on his willing partners.
Hat's off to Jesse Enkamp for bringing different styles of martial arts to us. Hat's off to Sensei Seagal for showing the world a different style of martial art on screen.
I find it difficult to bash Sensei Seagal...I have to wonder if those that bash him are in some way envious of him. After all, he probably has more money than those of us posting here. He taught Aikido in Japan where the art originated...and he's a gaijin! Who of us here can say we've done that? He was a successful action movie star. There is more than one successful MMA fighter that has thanked Sensei Seagal for his input in their training. And remember this, an accusation is just that, an accusation...just because someone accuses another of something doesn't make it the iron clad truth.
Perhaps if more of us would stick to the task at hand...that being answering the question "how did you guys feel about Seagal Sensei’s technique?" We'd all be a better person. Rather than attacking Steven's character, shaming his body & calling him names, Complete the task; answer the question.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
In regards to Sensei Steven Seagal's technique, (the question asked) I thought he showed good, crisp, clean and accurate technique. In other words, he looked great executing the techniques on his willing partners.
Hat's off to Jesse Enkamp for bringing different styles of martial arts to us. Hat's off to Sensei Seagal for showing the world a different style of martial art on screen.
I find it difficult to bash Sensei Seagal...I have to wonder if those that bash him are in some way envious of him. After all, he probably has more money than those of us posting here. He taught Aikido in Japan where the art originated...and he's a gaijin! Who of us here can say we've done that? He was a successful action movie star. There is more than one successful MMA fighter that has thanked Sensei Seagal for his input in their training. And remember this, an accusation is just that, an accusation...just because someone accuses another of something doesn't make it the iron clad truth.
Perhaps if more of us would stick to the task at hand...that being answering the question "how did you guys feel about Seagal Sensei’s technique?" We'd all be a better person. Rather than attacking Steven's character, shaming his body & calling him names, Complete the task; answer the question.

Well he did a lot of that to himself by talking a ton of poop to lots of other actors & martial artists, including bullying and beating the little, untrained ones. .

He also made a bunch of crazy claims about himself, in the way of McDojoist Supreme Masters, etc.

On top of that, he abandoned his wife & adolescence son in Japan & married Kelly LeBrock after he got famous in "Hard to Kill", then beat the hell out of LeBrock.

Plus a ton of other sexual assault allegations, including that from Jenny McCarthy of MTV who was auditioning for, IIRC, "Under Siege".

Sure, his techs are legit for Aikido. He's also a gigantic guy (who runs funny), so I'm sure he can beat up untrained or lowly trained people. I'm sure he can also teach some good stuff to UFC fighters, etc. I'm just not buying that Anderson Silva nor Lyoto Machida, both didn't know the front kick to the face...taught that way.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s actually all that rich. I mean, above the median but not as rich as you might think.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I know right. You sexually assault a bunch of women and that's all people remember you for.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as technique goes. DK Yoo. Looked good untill he had to put it in to practice.

Jessie Encamp on the other hand. Not too bad.

Last edited:

chiquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that he had to take breaks in the middle of the recordings. An attacker would just have to move around out of reach for a while to tire him out.

chiquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well he did a lot of that to himself by talking a ton of poop to lots of other actors & martial artists, including bullying and beating the little, untrained ones. .

He also made a bunch of crazy claims about himself, in the way of McDojoist Supreme Masters, etc.

On top of that, he abandoned his wife & adolescence son in Japan & married Kelly LeBrock after he got famous in "Hard to Kill", then beat the hell out of LeBrock.

Plus a ton of other sexual assault allegations, including that from Jenny McCarthy of MTV who was auditioning for, IIRC, "Under Siege".

Sure, his techs are legit for Aikido. He's also a gigantic guy (who runs funny), so I'm sure he can beat up untrained or lowly trained people. I'm sure he can also teach some good stuff to UFC fighters, etc. I'm just not buying that Anderson Silva nor Lyoto Machida, both didn't know the front kick to the face...taught that way.
I respect Jesse Enkamp much more than Steven Seagal. The "training sessions" with Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida might have been nothing more than publicity opportunities for Steven Seagal. It's a shame, really. He had the world in his hands after his early movies.

Latest Discussions