Steroids... A black mark on the sport

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This article is old, dating back to the later part of 2006, but it's still worth a read:

Steroid use in the MMA

It's sad to see that some of the big names, such as Bonnar, Leopoldo, and Belfort (3 of my favorites MMA fighters) were nailed for using such substances.

I wonder the use of such drugs might not have had any real direct effect on their physical attributes? They might have been able to get the same results simply by taking that same mental attitude and applying it to their training. Lack of confidence on their part? Who knows...

Sometimes I wonder if the strength gains that people get from taking steroids, are simply due to the mental aspect involved, where they just took the chemical, and think that they can now become stronger, and thus push themselves harder?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steroids are going to be common in any activity where your paycheque is dependent on your physical abilities. Sometimes it will be used for performance gains, other times it will be used more to aid in injury recovery.

It is rather dissapointing, but at the same time I do understand how tempting that must be. Suppose you where unable to work, unable to collect a paycheque because of a injury. There was a drug that would help get rid of the injury, and get you back to being able to go to work, and get paid. But if you got caught using it, you'd be in trouble.

WOuld you be tempted?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steroids are going to be common in any activity where your paycheque is dependent on your physical abilities. Sometimes it will be used for performance gains, other times it will be used more to aid in injury recovery.

It is rather dissapointing, but at the same time I do understand how tempting that must be. Suppose you where unable to work, unable to collect a paycheque because of a injury. There was a drug that would help get rid of the injury, and get you back to being able to go to work, and get paid. But if you got caught using it, you'd be in trouble.

WOuld you be tempted?

Very valid points and I would be tempted if I were in that situation. I'm hoping that knowing how dangerous the long term use of steroids is would be enough of a deterrent to stop me though. Nasty stuff when abused.

Latest Discussions