Step Sparring VS Free Sparring

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
This Question is largely Directed toward TKD'ists and Karatekas; Though Any System which Practices both is Subjectively Inclined.

Ive been thinking alot about Sparring, as a whole, Recently.
My Conclusion is:

One Step Free Sparring;
Has the Benefit of being closer to a Swift, Singular Resolution.
Trains a Base, Retaliatory Response to Violence.
Can Employ a Wider Range of Techniques and Methodologies.
Improves Reflexive Responses.
Is Perhaps more how you want an Engagement to take place.

Free Sparring:
Has the Benefit of Cardio.
Teaches a more Continuous, Uncontrolled Style of Fighting; Perhaps more how you would want to Respond in a Forced Trade (Trading Shots).
Teaches you to Strike, and to be Struck.
Perhaps Improves your Defense, against Continuous Strikes.

Now, these are just the Major Points I can think of.

Personally, im inclined to think that One Step Sparring, is Perhaps more Realistic, due to the possible Variations, and Range of Responses.
But Ultimately, id like to know what Others think.

And Yes, I Wrote this whole thing in Report Standard; Because... :)

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think both have their benefits and both have their places. In some ways, I use one steps as an intro to longer form continuous sparring. But they have their own unique value as well. Every aspect of training can be expanded and contracted for deeper study. Being able to evade and counter for ten minutes is of limited value if you can't execute a single block and punch with accurate timing, targeting, power, and form. At the same time, combat is always in media res, there is no clearly defined engagement phase, and the dynamic aspects of violent interactions can be codified in instruction, but will always occur spontaneously in practice. If I could always perfectly predict the parameters of a self defense engagement, I wouldn't have them. Fighting is only safe and fun in the dojo. I don't want to die. So I practice executing single perfect strikes, and I practice extended periods of spontaneous combat activities. And I do a lot of other live training too. But I feel that both static and dynamic practice has it's place. Even within that approach there are dimensions. There are a lot of shades between one steps and free fighting, and every one should be explored.-Rob

Latest Discussions