Start 'em young

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My 7 year old daugther joined me and my older son and daughter in class today. She had a great time and wants to keep coming

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My youngest was 7 when she started MA too. During the first class she giggled through the whole thing, so much so her instructor leaned over to her and said "I think you might be having too much fun!" :D. That just made her giggle even more. It was very cute and she hasn't turned back since.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All three of my boys started when they where able to walk, they are 6,7,10 now they can do it all for there age.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
My first martial arts training began when I was 6. I only stuck with it for about three years at the time, but the experience undoubtedly motivated me to seek out martial arts when I was older. I think most kids should have some exposure to martial arts when they're young, even though it probably won't last for them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Grandson started at 5 and loved it...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My youngest started at four.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son started at 8 and my daughter at 11. I think the reason they stayed in so long--to high school and college respectively, was because I was in as well and supported them. Most of the teenage boys I notice didn't stay in though—cars, girls, jobs, freedom takes a definite toll. My daughter stayed for me, for friends, for her goal of 2nd dan. I think my son lost his goal along the way and made others, outside of TKD. I have noticed since my kids dropped out, alot of other teens did also. Old group not there...now all newbies. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is great that kids are doing martial arts. Congrats to getting your children (or grandchildren) involved.Miles

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This brings up some questions I would like to ask.

How old do you think a child should be before they start?

How young is too young?

Do you think the system should be a factor in how old a child should be before starting?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My two sons started Kenpo two years ago when they were ten and eight. They're still into Kenpo and enjoying it very, very much!

- Ceicei

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:

I really think this depends on the child. We have a seven year old who manages his training in class better than a thirtysomething old male in our adult class.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
shane23ss said:
I really think this depends on the child. We have a seven year old who manages his training in class better than a thirtysomething old male in our adult class.
I would agree with you here, no doubt. I'm asking because I have known some schools to have an age limit. What is their reason for that, and how did they decide the age? Maybe some one who runs a school could give us their reasoning for what they do.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Maybe some one who runs a school could give us their reasoning for what they do.

The man I assist requires at least first grade enrollment because at that point, children are accustomed to the structure of a class, heirarchy and are potty-trained.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
The man I assist requires at least first grade enrollment because at that point, children are accustomed to the structure of a class, heirarchy and are potty-trained.
I have a first grade requirement, but it was because my classes were originally taught in an elementary school.

The owner of the school has TSD classes for kids as young as 4 if they can demonstrate sufficient attention span. He also has a completely different belt/rank structure so that they can eventually graduate into the regular class when they are 7 or 8.

Miles

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
I have a first grade requirement, but it was because my classes were originally taught in an elementary school.

The owner of the school has TSD classes for kids as young as 4 if they can demonstrate sufficient attention span. He also has a completely different belt/rank structure so that they can eventually graduate into the regular class when they are 7 or 8.

Miles
I've known some schools to have a 4 year old requirement and others to have a 5 or 6 year old requirement.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I would agree with you here, no doubt. I'm asking because I have known some schools to have an age limit. What is their reason for that, and how did they decide the age? Maybe some one who runs a school could give us their reasoning for what they do.
OK here goes I personally own a school I start to train at 4 yr. old. They can keep there attention for atleast 20 minutes prior to dropping off the face of the world, then in another five minutes they are ready to start again. It takes pactrice to be able to train childern and some instructor just does not seem to have this. Can't train them like adults but you have to challenge them or they will leave. Hope this helps.
smileJap.gif

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But don't you find it rediculous when schools teach 3 year olds it may only be a year earlier but at that age a year is alot.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
My 7 year old daugther joined me and my older son and daughter in class today. She had a great time and wants to keep coming

My little girl began her TKD training at seven as well. She has worked really hard in her Taekwondo training, and has stuck with it to this day. She's now 14, soon to be 15 and I might add, she's also first poom Black Belt. She'll be testing for her second poom at the end of this year. TKD and the MAs are in her heart and soul. I'm a very proud Daddy... :ultracool

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dmdfromhamilton said:
But don't you find it rediculous when schools teach 3 year olds it may only be a year earlier but at that age a year is alot.
no my son's started training at 2 with me but they had no choices, for a commercial school yes it would be kind of a joke but they can learn

Latest Discussions