Standing up

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you or your art/s ever categorized and or implimented specific procedures of how to stand back up in different ways once you lose your feet?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Through the years I have taught multiple methods but my favorite is the standard BJJ method of standing up in base. I use this method in conjunction with several other ground methods all designed to eventually create enough space that you can stand up.

OP
F

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. Through the years I have taught multiple methods but my favorite is the standard BJJ method of standing up in base. I use this method in conjunction with several other ground methods all designed to eventually create enough space that you can stand up.

I don't suppose you know of any clips on the web to give me a starting point would you? Reason I'm concerened about it is because im so big 'fat' that I feel I have a serious deficiancy in that regard looking at what usually happens to fat guys when they lose their feet. 'We' are like turtles on our backs and largely become easy prey...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I was taught the same way...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't suppose you know of any clips on the web to give me a starting point would you? Reason I'm concerened about it is because im so big 'fat' that I feel I have a serious deficiancy in that regard looking at what usually happens to fat guys when they lose their feet. 'We' are like turtles on our backs and largely become easy prey...

Dude just practice..I had just quit smoking the year before the department sent me to obtain my Defensive Tactics Instructor permit(hard core training 6 days 10 hrs a day), and the weight I gained was unreal.. I looked like Shamu the Killer Whale in BDU's and boots..Our saving grace is once in a proper stance its a hell of a lot harder to knock us off our feet than some little pencil person...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our major thing when taken to ground, is to take em with you. Outside of that, not that I'm aware of.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is Rorion Gracie showing the standard BJJ standing up in base method.

This should get you started and their is alot more that you can learn through proper instruction.

[yt]GZsZTLRY_4Y[/yt]

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the clip Brian.

Wow they look so young.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup 'sitting in base' and 'standing in base' were drilled into me in my first BJJ classes. Not sure if 'sitting in base' is that useful, but it was good practice.

Although the 'kip up' you see in movies looks a lot cooler :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the method that I use as well. :) Creating that space is key IMO, unless you want to get kicked in the face.

Mike

OP
F

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here is Rorion Gracie showing the standard BJJ standing up in base method.

This should get you started and their is alot more that you can learn through proper instruction.

[yt]GZsZTLRY_4Y[/yt]

Very nice! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for, thanks Brian!