Stalling in the NFL

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want NFL teams penalized if they stall and kneel on the ball rather than play -- especially in a close game during the playoffs! Call it delay of game or stalling or friggin' cowardice... but make those overpaid prima donnas PLAY for their millions!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am in agreement absolutely but not just for the NFL but also for any professional or college team!
icon14.gif

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wondering what ignited this, given that 3 of 4 playoff games this weekend were blowouts.... You can be the ref who calls the 15 yard "friggin cowardice" penalty on ray Lewis or Jared Allen....

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been pissing me off all season... and while it's unlikely that the the Chargers would have won, they were within 3 points at the end of the game today. Crazy stuff does happen...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just don't like the Jets. :lol: I would have much rather have seen the Chargers go to Indy.

What's your take on a team resting their starters at the end of the season, JKS?

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just don't like the Jets. :lol: I would have much rather have seen the Chargers go to Indy.

What's your take on a team resting their starters at the end of the season, JKS?
I don't have a problem with resting the starters especially if they've secured a playoff berth. The second string is going to go out and PLAY. I'm not calling for a team that's already clearly won the game to go out and slaughter the other team, either, just 'cause they can. It'd be different if the Chargers were back by even a full touchdown -- though I still think they should have play the games out, and not just take a knee and let the clock run out. Something just ain't right when there's 30 seconds or so left, and the teams are out there shaking hands.

But, c'mon, is it conceivable that the Chargers could have made an interception or picked up a fumble, and either tied the game or even won? Sure. It's not likely -- but it's possible. Let 'em have that chance! Instead, this is kind of loosely like a baseball game where home team is leading by 1 run in the top of the ninth, so they only play 2 outs... then everyone quits 'cause that third out "doesn't matter"... it might have been a home run -- or a grand slam...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would certainly be more interesting if they would actually get regular plays off, I agree. Realistically though, I'm not sure if we'd see much difference.

We'd see a lot of running down the play clock, perhaps a few penalties for too much time, and then some very conservative plays.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with resting the starters especially if they've secured a playoff berth. The second string is going to go out and PLAY. I'm not calling for a team that's already clearly won the game to go out and slaughter the other team, either, just 'cause they can. It'd be different if the Chargers were back by even a full touchdown -- though I still think they should have play the games out, and not just take a knee and let the clock run out. Something just ain't right when there's 30 seconds or so left, and the teams are out there shaking hands.

But, c'mon, is it conceivable that the Chargers could have made an interception or picked up a fumble, and either tied the game or even won? Sure. It's not likely -- but it's possible. Let 'em have that chance! Instead, this is kind of loosely like a baseball game where home team is leading by 1 run in the top of the ninth, so they only play 2 outs... then everyone quits 'cause that third out "doesn't matter"... it might have been a home run -- or a grand slam...

Yeah, well I doubt you'll find any long time NY Giants fans who will agree with you..... not after that infamous THE FUMBLE against the Eagles. I was watching that game and I believe the credits had started to roll on the screen when all of a sudden......

"Engaging in needless complications" will lose you a chess game, and I was taught the same about needless time wasting motions in a fight. Sorry, but I say when you've got it won - - - JUST SIT DOWN.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't mind the victory formation and kneel down to end the game. I love seeing 'my teams' in the victory formation.

It's not stalling. Stalling is using clock stopping methods such as running out of bounds or spiking the ball immediately after the snap. I wouldn't mind seeing a running clock like soccer uses to move the game along, but there is too much adverti$ing money involved for such changes as that. Also, comparisons to an untimed sport like baseball just doesn't work, unless the whole football game went more by the rules of the overtime periods in a college game.