Stage Weapons Must be Under Lock and Key

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
im not surprised at all. a little disgusted? yes. surprised? no.

liability is a B****!!! even to the point that some chowderhead would think that these actions could make anybody any safer. i guess we cant allow kids to play with kids toys anymore, huh? whats next?

whoops! dont look now but those kids have shoes on. one of the laces COULD come untied and trip the child. better get the plastic bubbles!! "its ok lil Billy, you can live a normal life inside the bubble. all your friends will be in bubbles soon to" :: pat on the head stopped short so noone thinks lil Billy is being beaten or otherwise abused :: "phew! that was close"

lets all save the world!! next time you see someone minding thier own business doing nothing wrong, walk right up to them and "fix" them!
just remember if your loud enough and annoying enough it means YOUR right!!

chowderheads!

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My friend has an actual replica katana from Japan...its tip is sharp, but the edge of the blade is dulled. This comes to mind when the article mentions "replica weapons"...other than the dulled edge, his replica is basically a real katana. Methinks the HSE needs to distinguish between such near-real replicas and basic toys, which at worst might pose a choking hazard to infants.

In other words, the HSE policies had a good idea (near-real replicas) that was taken ridiculously too far (plastic swords? c'mon.)

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My friend has an actual replica katana from Japan...its tip is sharp, but the edge of the blade is dulled. This comes to mind when the article mentions "replica weapons"...other than the dulled edge, his replica is basically a real katana. Methinks the HSE needs to distinguish between such near-real replicas and basic toys, which at worst might pose a choking hazard to infants.

In other words, the HSE policies had a good idea (near-real replicas) that was taken ridiculously too far (plastic swords? c'mon.)
They aren't talking about replica weapons, they are talking about stage weapons. Keeping stage weapons under lock and key the way the article reports makes almost as much sense as a football bat, almost.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stage weapons have killed and permanently injured people even on stage. Some actors will steal stage weapons and take them home and use them on themselves or others. It's no joke.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stage weapons have killed and permanently injured people even on stage. Some actors will steal stage weapons and take them home and use them on themselves or others. It's no joke.

Aluminum or steel, sure, but plastic ones?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I can say is, when I was doing community theater and college theater every weapon, whether imitation, plastic, wooden ... whatever ... had to be inventoried and under lock and key.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the article:

'It all seems a bit absurd, but it is a sign of the times.'

A bit absurd? There's an understatement.
This pisses me off! I'm going to go grab my son's Nerf mini-gun and go postal!

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hard plastic, eye injury. Wasn't theatrical swordsmanship invented in Elizabethan times?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hard plastic, eye injury. Wasn't theatrical swordsmanship invented in Elizabethan times?
Uh, probably ancient Greece... hell, in all likelyhood UG and Gug used sticks when they entertained the rest of the cavemen...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that as an amateur group they will have very little money to replace even plastic props.
Do you have amateur dramatic groups in the States? they have one in nearly every village round here and it's like a mini soap opera, the jealousies, the tantrums, the egos are wonderful, arguments have lasted for years lol! Locking up anything that could be used as a weapon should be first priority! As for the shows, well they are certainly entertaining though maybe not in the way intended!

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are in places, not where I live, but in places. Wow, that could be very entertaining, whether in the intended way or not. :D
The best my little town has to offer is High School plays twice a year. :(
The one I was in sold out every night...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with this, myself.

Treat all weapons as if they are real, and you'll be much less likely to mishandle the real (or more realistic) ones.

Try to run two sets of rules, and you'll just invite that "just one time" exception where the real weapon is left out "for a little while..."

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with this, myself.

Treat all weapons as if they are real, and you'll be much less likely to mishandle the real (or more realistic) ones.

Try to run two sets of rules, and you'll just invite that "just one time" exception where the real weapon is left out "for a little while..."
That is a good and valid point. I wouldn't have a problem with this, had the troupe come up with the idea on their own. The Nanny state imposing it, however, is not a good thing.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jon-Erik Hexum ... remember this guy? This was the event that led the performing arts department at my college to lock all stage weapons up.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jon-Erik Hexum ... remember this guy? This was the event that led the performing arts department at my college to lock all stage weapons up.
I was 12 or so when he did that. I remember it quite well, because I loved the show, Cover Up, that he was on.

Latest Discussions