Spiridinov?

OP
C

Clash

I wasnt suggesting a challenge or opposing a view,only was suggesting that likely the leverage work would look familar to many, and the principles would be applicable.Actually was agreeing with Ironman, just speaking of relation of certain factors, I have no doubts about Systema's effectiveness :)

mscroggins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see the problem. You were refering to "Introduction to Authentic Russian Martial Art". I was talking about Sonnon's newer material. The two are different.

I have watched "Introduction to Authentic Russian Martial Art" and I think it is very good. But I really like "From Dance to Combat". :)

In my opinion, better explanations of leverage work can be found in the book "Russian style Hand to Hand Combat", and in Matt Powell's ebook. Powell's ebook has an in depth explanation of leverage work and unbalancing. Plus, he supplies references for further study.

OP
C

Clash

Yes,yes I was speaking of the demonstration work that was demonstrated on"Introduction to Authentic Russian Martial art". Is Scott's new material similar to any of that, that was demonstrated in that video? I havent seen
"From Dance to Combat" is it composed of seminar footage?

I have heard that Matt's ebook was great, with alot of indepth explanation on applying physics to fight,leverage work and unbalancing. I look forward to seeing Pramek in action, Im sure alot of the principals will be applied in his new work.Thanks for the reply and pardon the misunderstanding :)

OP
I

Ironman

i don't think the ebook (assuming its the K-sys one) is sold anymore due to Matt starting Pramek and such, but i'm not sure.

OP
M

mpowell

I have a bit of experience with Spiridinovian style through my study of Kadochnikov style. I don't really want to discuss the specifics here...
AI Retuinksih, who was a Kadochnikov style student of, I think, about 17 years, wrote that Mr. Kadochnikov was pretty much the only person who ended up making Spiridinovian style 'work'.
Spiridinov's style was called 'Officer's style', taught mainly in the officer ranks (whereas other's learned the other forms of Sambo), and was for the 'saboteur.' Remember, a lot of the system's were not taught to regular military, they weren't belived 'smart' enough to learn them. Mr. Kadochnikov's system for a long time was taught at the Rocket and Engineering schools because they were easier to teach.
It's based in old Russian Tsarist and before methods, and some eastern methods mixed in (he studied Aiki-jitsu and others and put it in his part of the development of SAMBO). I think most would find it the most 'soft' of the styles of Sambo because he couldn't get down and roll around with everyone. Sambo had three flavors, one sport, one military and police, and one for the special ops-type saboteur who couldn't bother wrestling aruond for a while. Spiridinov's style, was the last one mentioned. It's for the most part pretty practical, but on the other hand, needs a lot of traniing to pull off.
Mr. Kadochnikov at one point was a student of two of Spiridinov's direct students (one of whom still lives in Moscow but is in his 80's and still full of piss and vinegar :) ).
The methods in Spiridinovian system are based a lot upon methods that revolved a lot around redirection of energy, shots to the throat and disabling methods, etc. Not a lot of dancing about....
His is probably the hardest to learn and use, because of his personal body that he designed it around...he was injured in war by a bayonet and generally of poor health. So, he designed his system to use very little energy to get the job done.
Mr. Kadochnikov completed a lot of that work that was 'hard to do' by his more indepth study of biomechanics and mechanics which made a lot of the method used more clear in how they functioned.
After Kadochnikov, you don't find a whole lot of active study of Spiridinovian style because he made it much simpler to use and learn. I don't think Retuinskih really touched on Spiridinovian style in the development of ROSS, and studied mainly in the other forms of Sambo and put those together with Kadochnikov system and some native Cossack and Slavic methods and dance to form ROSS. I have my own opinions on dance in the development of RMA, but that's another conversation....
I still sell the manual on a very limited basis to RMA students because it's part of American RMA works, and feel it's better than some of the manuals in Russia...though it pales compared to the PraMek manual that will come out.
As for ROSS in America, I hope it comes back, as some of those folks teaching it in the late 90's and early 00's when I was studying ROSS were really great and nice people who worked really hard to get ROSS going.
Sonny has a great point about all the ones we don't see...I personally feel that had it not been for the Soviet ideology, it would be evident RMA is as big as CMA.

M

OP
I

Ironman

thanx for the in depth info, now if you could just hurry up on the site :D!!!

OP
C

Clash

Many thanks Matt for the reply, that is indeed a very interesting details on Spiridinov style. Many of the details I havent heard, likely due to the murky history behind this topic. My curiousity was built when a friend of mine that is an instructor in Combat Aiki, mentioned Spiridinov in one of his classes. Likely due to that of what you mentioned, the relation to Aiki-jitsu, and its influence in Sambo.

I also have ran across a book on ebay, that mentioned both Kadochnikov and Spiridinov in its title,I was curious what was the relation between the two would be. We definately look forward to see what is upcoming this weekend,cant wait to check it out :ultracool

OP
M

mpowell

The site, Pramek.com, is up....we're still working out the kinks.

OP
C

Clash

The site looks great,we have all been looking forward to its launching.
Very interesting and logical approach to modern day combatives/survival
behind this system, cant wait to see more updates...everyone go check it
out :ultracool

OP
I

Ironman

indeed, the site looks amazing. very cool logo :).

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The logo consists of Giovanni Alfonso Borelli, the father of biomechanics, and it's his symbol for his study of weight bearing loads on the body (and not Atlas as I thought of it !)

OP
I

Ironman

is that so?? very interesting man, i always thought it was an atlas :) .

Latest Discussions