sparring

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I asked my instructor about sparring a couple of months ago. He told us yesterday that we will be starting soon. What can I expect as I've never done this before. I brought it up to him because everyone here believes it's an important part of training and I want to learn all I can and be the best I can be. So what can I expect? Besides getting hit?:D

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First thing you might find is that it's a lot more tiring than anything you've done previously! Wears me out faster than padwork, techniques, line-ups or anything else we practise, that's why you've got to pace yourself at it a little bit when you spar in gradings, so youve got soemthing left for whatever's coming next!

Ian.

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by rachel
I asked my instructor about sparring a couple of months ago. He told us yesterday that we will be starting soon. What can I expect as I've never done this before. I brought it up to him because everyone here believes it's an important part of training and I want to learn all I can and be the best I can be. So what can I expect? Besides getting hit?:D

When do they introduce sparring at your school? Your a purple belt right?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If striking to the face is allowed, the first time you get popped a good one may tweak your nerves a bit. You'll probably discover that finding range when the other fella is also moving takes some practice. If you don't breathe properly, you'll get winded quickly.

Most of all, you'll probably have a lot of fun :)

Cthulhu

M

Mikey

Sparring is fun, just remember that it is not like a street fight, use control, always hit high and low at same time ( or 1,2...1,2).
And remember, if you get in a good shot, the next one may be to you. You are using pads????

MD

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rachel.. It can be intimidating if you allow it to be.. but my thoughts are, you have learned to block and punch .. so utilize your Tools.. use your elbows, knees .. keep your hands closed!~! Jammed or broken fingers are no fun ! Wear your gear and if you don't have them.. I strongly suggest shin guards.. you should see me when I'm decked out to spar.. I'm covered head to toe *G*
shin to shin blocks aren't fun either~!! Not trying to intimidate you .. just to prepare you :) Sparring should be a Game of High speed Tag.. or in some instances.. we do isometric sparring.. which is great to target your opponent in slow motion.
In our school.. we don't segregate the sparring line.. all ranks spar each other.. but we do have a rule that when a higher rank spars a lower rank.. the higher rank spars at the lower ranks level of expertise. And Control is paramount with all ranks. No head jarring, no face contact (unless tournament sparring for brown belt and above , and only light touch then).
Sparring is a great way to utilize and practice your techniques learned in a controlled environment :) It's fun ~! We spar Tuesday nights and Thursdays 2 minute rounds for an hour..:)

Have fun~!

Tess

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you instructor's spar with your students?

My instructor never does, but I know he's good at it. I'm not sure I'd learn much from him sparring actually with me, but more from watching him spar with other people (where I can concentrate on what he's doing instead of not getting hit!).

One tip I can give Rachel is not to 'tram line' as wel call it (I don't think you call them trams in American do you, is it 'trolley cars' maybe?), which is moving backwards and forwards in a straight line. It's much better to move off to the side and then strike, because people won't be as well covered up and will have to move round with you. Also, if someone's coming at you head on, throwing loads of kicks and punches, it's a lot more effective to step off to the side and counter attack than to backpedal in a straight line trying to block them all!

Ian (who's never really very happy with his sparring)

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by satans.barber

My instructor never does, but I know he's good at it. I'm not sure I'd learn much from him sparring actually with me, but more from watching him spar with other people (where I can concentrate on what he's doing instead of not getting hit!).

Get hit enough and you will learn how to not get hit...training is in the action! As long as you don't have to learn by getting a serious butt kickin everytime. :D

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

One tip I can give Rachel is not to 'tram line' as wel call it (I don't think you call them trams in American do you, is it 'trolley cars' maybe?), which is moving backwards and forwards in a straight line. It's much better to move off to the side and then strike, because people won't be as well covered up and will have to move round with you. Also, if someone's coming at you head on, throwing loads of kicks and punches, it's a lot more effective to step off to the side and counter attack than to backpedal in a straight line trying to block them all!

Ian (who's never really very happy with his sparring)

my instructor did when our school was first opened. many of us were very young then and it wasn't really a fun thing for him to do since he is such a large, built man and he would have to take it very easy with us. i know he preferred to take on the students that were more his size and more experienced at the time, and even then, it was a massacre and he would still be toying with them.

since then he's had a long bout with lyme's disease that left his knee almost completely useless for a long time. he's just now getting back to the point where he can use his leg. nowadays he's more inclined to grapple us than spar us (he cross-trains in jui-jitsu and boxing with steve maxwell and henry milligan respectivley).

i'll admit, it does bother me to know i could be going up against someone who could mop the floor with me even if he didn't have the skill he has due to his size, but it's his decision. i know we would all be better for it though if he did decide to spar us more regularly. some schedule and class changes are taking place in the next couple weeks here to perhaps things will be a bit different.

basically it hurts me to see such skill and knowledge go untapped for so long, especially when i could be on the receiving end. but one does not have control over mother nature and all her various diseases.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

don't get frusturated no matter what type of sparring you'll be taking part in. frustration or anger will only lead to sloppiness, trust me on this one.

other than that, just don't take getting hit as something so terrible. if you get hit, shake it off and keep going (unless you're point sparring i guess), and learn what you can from it. you almost have to enjoy being hit to negate the fear of being hit, and from there you can master not being hit as much.

and don't close your eyes! stay focused and STAY LOOSE. you'd never believe how many people use that natural flinch reaction and close their eyes when it gets heavy.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score

Blood, lots of blood:boxing: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding!

R

roryneil

I'd like to comment on Cthluhu's post near the top. That first time you get hit, it short circuits you a bit. That is why sparring is so important. You want it to happen the first time in the school, not in an alley!

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
Blood, lots of blood:boxing: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding!
:eek: :( :D I appreciate all your comments and help,everyone. I'll let you know when we start and how I do.:asian:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Best way to find out what to expect is to watch a sparring class at your dojo. Prior to my first sparring session at my dojang I sat on the sidelines at one my school's sparring class. It was very helpful because it prepared me for what I was in for.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At one time we sparred almost every class. I started sparring as a white belt. I was lucky enough at gold to spar a rusty heavy set 2nd black belt. He cracked one of my ribs with a spinning rear kick. I keep fighting though :mad:. Boy did that hurt for over a month. I still owe that guy.

I have found that most people are good natured and will spar as hard as you go. Your might find yourself nervous even among friends, and your energy will go faster than you could imagine. Remember to breath, do your best to relax and have fun. Once you start doing this your sparring will improve.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I require all instructors in my school to spar. It is not only a useful learning tool, but it also a good way for instructors to become teachers....And yes, I spar with everyone in my school.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said some things that brings up a very good point: any bad habits will come back to haunt you when you start sparring. If you don't properly form a fist when punching, expect fingers and thumbs to get tweaked. If you don't hold your wrist correctly when punching, expect to tweak that the first time you land a good punch. If you retract your kicks (re-chamber) too slowly, expect someone to either catch your leg or kick you in the crotch. If you drop your hands while kicking, you'll get smacked in the face. If you don't cover your head with your non-punching hand, you'll get smacked in the face.

Sparring is a great way to learn what your bad habits are, and learn how to rectify them!

Cthulhu

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tarabos
my instructor did when our school was first opened. many of us were very young then and it wasn't really a fun thing for him to do since he is such a large, built man and he would have to take it very easy with us. i know he preferred to take on the students that were more his size and more experienced at the time, and even then, it was a massacre and he would still be toying with them.

since then he's had a long bout with lyme's disease that left his knee almost completely useless for a long time. he's just now getting back to the point where he can use his leg. nowadays he's more inclined to grapple us than spar us (he cross-trains in jui-jitsu and boxing with steve maxwell and henry milligan respectivley).

i'll admit, it does bother me to know i could be going up against someone who could mop the floor with me even if he didn't have the skill he has due to his size, but it's his decision. i know we would all be better for it though if he did decide to spar us more regularly. some schedule and class changes are taking place in the next couple weeks here to perhaps things will be a bit different.

basically it hurts me to see such skill and knowledge go untapped for so long, especially when i could be on the receiving end. but one does not have control over mother nature and all her various diseases.
That's what I'd like. To have my teacher as my partner til I got the hang of it. I trust him 100%. He's got tatal body control. Two of the guys who want to spar are a lot bigger than me and during self defense techniques they really go at it. I'm not afraid to get hit and I know I need to get used to it.Someone said better in the dojo than an alley and I agree with that totally. But for the first few times I'd prefer my instructor. No one spars in our school now except the kids so there are no adults to watch.Thanks,everyone.:)

K

Kroy

That's what I'd like. To have my teacher as my partner til I got the hang of it. I trust him 100%. He's got tatal body control. Two of the guys who want to spar are a lot bigger than me and during self defense techniques they really go at it. I'm not afraid to get hit and I know I need to get used to it.Someone said better in the dojo than an alley and I agree with that totally. But for the first few times I'd prefer my instructor. No one spars in our school now except the kids so there are no adults to watch.Thanks,everyone.:)

I think that you are going to love sparring, you have the right attitude for it and as we can all see, you have a great love for the martial arts. Best of luck when you slap on the pads.:boxing:

And dont forget to give us some details:)

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sparring is soo cool!..it's like skiing down the mountian as fast as you. such an adrenaline rush!!...all your focus is on what your doing...you get popped and you have to bring your focus back. we would run sparring lines for the whole hour sometimes. thats the best. you're sore, tired, sweating like a pig..and you gotta fight...there is nothing better than sparring.

Latest Discussions