Sparring Tips

OP
O

OrangeLeopard

thanks for all of your tips. I will consider them all.

-Chris

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Relax. Work on timing and speed. Relax. Do this as cited above :

I would also suggest getting there early and watching what techniques are being called for points. After your divivsion is over, stay and watch the black belts.
Respectfully,
Bob White

Relax. Work on timing, when your opponent attacks, find the opening and strike faster than they do. Relax and have fun!!

Relaxed you are faster; striking at the right time and target makes you effective. Use your own favorite techniques so you are comfortable with them. DO NOT strike once, use combinations of at least 2 techniques always. Relax and have FUN!!! You can learn more later.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Les said:
I feel you may have left it rather late to be learning and internalising new ideas, so why not stick with what you already have.

Why not simply use the self defence techniques as the base for your sparring?

That's what the Equation Formula teaches you. Have you covered 'what if factors', grafting etc?

The opening moves of most techniques can be modified to an offensive rather than defensive application.

Remember that you shouldn't be thinking about completing the technique sequence, thats just for the studio, but looking for available targets.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Les
Hear Hear...no use trying something "new".....work on your comfortable and most reflexive methods....learn from the encounter to come.

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like this...there is a place (the solar plexus) that I refer to as the "I don't want to fight you anymore button"! If off the mark, you focus your attention to this area, whether or not it is counted as point, but make your first real solid connection into this button, the opponent will usually spend the rest of the day trying to protect it as you pick away at other targets...of course, if they choose not to protect it, keep plugging away, the button is also an "off" switch...lol!

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like White Dot Focus, lets hope they don't hit your "on/off" button first?

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lol, that would not be a good thing....but still, has proven effective for quite some time, not only for me, but family that trains and competes as well, make em suck wind in the very first few seconds of the competition, and you get not only thier attention, but it just takes ALOT out of the fight they give back. You are right though, if your button gets hit first, well, you know the results....