sparring rules/criteria

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am revising (because there isn't a printed handout atm) our sparring rules. Here is what I have so far, feedback much appreciated.

1. YMCA liability waiver must be signed. (YMCA covers our insurance so we don't have to charge students for it)
2. Mouthpiece must be worn.
3. Males wear a cup.

Can spar a black belt instructor if those are met.

1. Hand gear.
2. Foot gear.
3. Headgear required if under 18.

Can spar other students.

Students spar BB until we deem they have control to spar other students.

High rank does not take advantage of lower rank.

No bullies.

Intentional attempts to cause or do cause injury will be barred from class.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Couple years ago I added:
You do not have to spar. Sparring is an option but is not required.
Leads to liability. If you force someone to spar is very different than giving them the option to spar.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We require sparring to pass tests from yellow belt onwards. I've never had a problem with any kid not wanting to spar. Seems like they all want to spar the first night. When kids begin, they only spar BB and we do not fight back. We give up the openings, let them punch us a few times, builds up their confidence pretty fast. If we do get one a bit scared of it, I'll bring my father in. He's easily the best children's instructor I've ever seen. He's turned little girls that cried during classes and didn't speak for months into whirling dervish of hands/feet that will totally kick your butt around the room. One of those girls that didn't speak is now one of my BB instructors.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would base the headgear requirement on rank for adults--must wear headgear under brown or black, and make it absolute for kids. I'm not comfortable with the idea of lower belt adults going without headgear--it's too easy and common for them to run into a technique, or even to fall and hit their heads.

I also think that it's okay for lower belts to spar each other, as long as there's black belt supervision.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lower belts spar each other all the time. Once we've determined they have the control to not serious injury their partner. Of course, when 3/4 of your lower ranks are 9 year old girls, it's not like there is a lot of knock out power. The yellow belt is aggressive as heck though, she's gonna be good. No fear in that girl.

Latest Discussions