Sparring nut.

C

chaosomega

I love sparring.
I try to do it as much as I can. If I meet someone who is a martial artist, I always ask them if they want to spar. I've sparred against TKD, Shaolin KF, Aikido, MMA and lots more. I've learned much from all of them. Does anybody else feel this way? Does anybody else enjoy sparring with the intensity I do? I sometimes find myself getting too into it, and hitting harder than my partner wants. I haven't lost any friends (yet :p), so it can't be too much of a problem. That's all for now. Adios!

OP
M

MartialArtist

I'm a sparring nut also. A fighting nut? No. People who love fighting usually end up locked up. One has to understand the differences between fighting and sparring.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we don't do sparring at our school yet. I talked to my teacher and he said he's open to doing it if people are interested. I'm the only female that will do it though. The guys will do it too.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I must admit I'm a sparring junkie too. I used to never miss a sparring class at my dojang until I got my knee blasted with a mean *** side kick at my last sparring session a few months ago. Now I just have to take it easy and rehab it. :( :wah:

Can't wait to get back into the scraps though... :boxing:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
chaosO, I know just how you feel.

It can be tricky finding that balance between sparring with intensity, and still keeping things at a level suitable for your partner. I know one solution: spar with someone better than you. :D

Good luck training.

Edit: WooHoo! 200th post! Yeah baby!

OP
M

Mormegil

Originally posted by Zepp
I know one solution: spar with someone better than you. :D

No problem! Everyone seems to be better than me (sparring a month). I got to practice seeing openings.

I started putting my rear hand in front of my face (as oppose to next to my cheek), as I found I was too open, and get getting punched in the face. Now I find I get punched in the side of my face/head, which was covered with my hand before...guess I'll have to just cover that side better.

I do mostly JKD, and I sparred a TKD friend of mine a few weeks back (who has a lot more sparring experience than me). That was a lot of fun! Man, does he kick a lot (he said, I punch a lot). I was a little dissapointed that he didn't follow the "stereotypical" TKD stance, of dropping the hands (hoping for easy shots). He kept his head covered pretty well. Guess he doesn't go to a McDojang!

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I usually find sparring to be quite humbling experience.

I train at the boxing gym in NYC and most of the guys that I spar with are amateur boxers - some of whom have professional aspirations. I'm usually waaaaaayyy outclassed.

Also, I weigh 197 lbs. which makes me a small heavyweight, and There aren't too many guys my weight in the gym as most are either smaller or considerably larger. I'm either fighting smaller speed demons that I can barely touch or bigger, stronger men who can can barely escape from.

I've learned a lot in the few sparring sessions that I've had. You can only truly learn from someone who can kick your butt you know. :)

I feel that I've benefitted greatly by developing more composure when under fire, and having to dig down deep when I'm hurting and/or tired.

I not going to say that I love to spar, but we're in the martial game and if you want to be a player, you have to spar.

Peace,

OP
D

Disco

Sparring has definite advantagous training traits. It also has a hidden downside. Unlike boxing, were when you spar you will use what you are doing in the ring. As a Martial Artist, if you focus on sparring, you will undoubtedly revert to the same mind set when facing a real life situation. Real Self Defense must have a different mind set. There are those, that have the atheltic ability to make sparring techniques work in the street. For the larger majority, they invite the potential for serious problems to arise.

Just be careful and understand the difference :asian:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Disco

As a Martial Artist, if you focus on sparring, you will undoubtedly revert to the same mind set when facing a real life situation. Real Self Defense must have a different mind set. There are those, that have the atheltic ability to make sparring techniques work in the street. For the larger majority, they invite the potential for serious problems to arise.

Just be careful and understand the difference :asian:

Right, this is so true and thanks for pointing it out. In controlled sparring there are certain rules that must be adhered to. In a street fight it's no holds barred, no limits on which parts of the body are off limits from contact and just all out scrapping. Survival of the fittest kind of rules.

OP
S

soccer50

Sparring....what type of sparring? Hard-Medium-Soft? I spar hard becauase it gets me faster and makes me more aware of different types of stategies. I also need it for Muay Thai...you know how rough that is

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's Fun Pure Fun:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Trust me, most people when they go to a fight will have a totally different mindset. Some experienced people will freeze in a real fight, or won't know what to do.

OP
S

soccer50

The difference between a real fight and rough sparring is mostly mental aspect. Its less physical. Just because you have gloves doesnt mean you are protected, it just a matter of time until youre knocked down or out. Barefist will knock you out faster. The feeling of protection that comes with pads makes you better only with them on. In barefist fighting, people are scared of not being protected...So the portrayal of who you are and what you're role is in the fight is really important. Usually unexperienced guys think of themselves as the victim, so they are very scared and it affects with their performance. Ive seen 5'4" guys beat up guys 5'10" because they were driven. Ive seen buff guys get their asses kicked. Being buff doesnt mean anything. The only important muscle is the abdominal one.
Training doesnt mean you can take anyone down, but it does help you by alot: you perfect your techique, become faster, become stronger, build endurance, develop balance. Lemme say that anyone can attack, but barely anyone knows how to defend. Defense plays a major role in success. Thats where sparring comes in.