muay thai

OP
J

Jester

I think in most circumstances the difference between kick boxing and Thai is the competition rules. Thai is always full contact, you are allowed kicks below the waist and you're allowed to use knees.

In kick boxing full contact and light contact competition rules exist, you often find competitors wear more protective wear as well. Scoring areas are less, above the waist for example.

Also thai boxing always takes place in a ring, kick boxing is sometimes done on an open matted area.

These are not hard and fast rules but they are the usual differences.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jester
I think in most circumstances the difference between kick boxing and Thai is the competition rules. Thai is always full contact, you are allowed kicks below the waist and you're allowed to use knees.

don't forget the elbows...:D

aside from the rules, i think there is also a slight difference in conditioning between muay thai and kickboxing. muay thai fighters (the good, dedicated ones) are some of the most insanely conditioned atheletes in the world. probably THE most only for the reason that they have incredible cardiovascular endurance, and on top of that must condition the body to take some serious punishment.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
and of course all of that depends on what particular "kickboxing" match you're watching at the time. they all have different rules usually, some more full contact oriented than others. i'd say the same goes for muay thai, even though i would not put that stipulation on it as much as i would kickboxing.

anyways...check out the muay thai forum and ask around there too if you haven't already. after all, that's what it's there for...:D

OP
M

MartialArtist

Kickboxing is IMO a generic term.

Muay thai is kickboxing in the sense that they kick, and the box. Some people consider it to be kickboxing, but is a bit different from say, American kickboxing.

Latest Discussions