Sparring Advice

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ahhhh ok. In sparring my instructer tells me to stay in close, sometimes we'll spar for instance, me vs 2-4 other guys at once. He always tells me to stay in close to them, dont back up stay in close. Is staying close the best method? Staying out of their range, or staying right dead in their range.

He just always tells me to stay in close, becuase it will teach me to be faster, to get out of their leg reach and counter.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Is staying close the best method?

No, of course not. Sometimes its best to keep distance, other times to stay close, others to go in and out, others to clinch, etc.

But, if you trust your instructor it may be the best method for you right now in terms of progression, even if it is not your strongest place to fight from. Your instructor's job is to improve your skills, which means developing new ones as much as it does improving existing ones.

I'd take his advice, learn to fight in close, once you are comfortable with it you will be a better fighter, even if it is never your ideal range.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Staying in close will make your hands more effective. As a TKD person, you should know that when you pop somebody in the mouth with a punch they will back away from your hands, putting them in perfect range for a kick. Thats the plan, but if they don't back up your still trading punches until someone does, and if its you say hello to Mr. Foot.
Sean

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Is staying close the best method? Staying out of their range, or staying right dead in their range.

It's A method. There is no Best method. Because what works well against one opponent may not work at all against another, it's another option for you to learn. But I think I can safely add that by staying in close, he doesn't mean to stay in their effective range as you stated. He means to stay inside it.

Part of learning where your effective striking range is, is to learn where it isn't. Depending on what type of sparring you're doing will determine what's to be gained by being in close. In WTF style, being in close and smuthering your opponent is a common practice. Learning to jump out with a strike is also common and part of the learning progression. As you practice such lessons, pay attention to the results. If you feel you're doing what he tells you and having poor results, it's a good bet it's because you're doing it wrong. He's not going to explain everything to you. Sometimes he'll probably put you in a position and let you figure it out for yourself. Experience is the best teacher. Just remember, part of learning what to do, is learning what not to do.

Good luck and keep training!

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will tell you what my instructor tells me when fighting multiple opponents.
Pick out the least skilled fighter and your most skilled fighter out of the group that you are sparring against.
Throughout the duration of the fight AWAYS keep yourself positioned so that the weaker opponent is between you and the strongest fighter ( this will more or less keep your strongest fighter smothered so that he/she cannot attack you with everything they have).
I know that this is a little bit of a differant method, but it does work very well for me and perhaps you should try it.

-Hwoarang_tkd26

Latest Discussions