Sparred with my older brother

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I went down to my older brothers house because he's at college and lives in another state so me and my parents visited him at his house he rents with his fiancé, he's an mma guy who's been training it about a year longer than I've been training. We talked about fighting and training etc and decided to spar in his garage which he has as a make shift gym with padded floors and walls we used 8 ounce gloves and agreed no full powered head shots but light taps to the side of the head and we had mouth guards and groin protectors.

Now I was a bit rusty since my gym has closed for the summer now until September since a lot of people had gone away and the head coach is away in Poland for 3 weeks anyway.

But we sparred and my brother prefers to strike anyway he uses a real side on taekwondo stance even though he's never trained it but that's his way we both caught each other with hits, im younger but im taller so I used a lot of jabs, leg kicks and push kicks to keep him at range and set up my punches, he used a lot of roundhouse kicks and tried to close the distance and use body shots or clinches or takedowns not hard shots though we both know not to go to hard. I managed to block a few of his takedowns, he got me down a couple times but I managed to hold him and he only tapped me once. He's the first to admit his ground is pretty basic. But it was a fun spar and then we exchanged moves and worked on some drills together it was awesome. I've got a video of the match which I'll post here when I'm back on a computer (on my phone at the moment)

My best shot on him was probably a low kick followed by a high kick off the same leg which tapped the side of his head and we both smiled and high fived at it.

His best was probably 2 hook punches to both my sides followed by him stepping back with a push kick which sent me back.
On a side note I seriously wish I had a garage gym it was an awesome place he had, he had heavy bags, speed bags, weights, skipping rope pretty much everything it was a lot of fun

Last edited:

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well a video would have been nice..maybe next time?

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Like I said when I get on my computer I'll upload it
:shamefullyembarrased: oh boy my apologies, i hadn't read the whole post, i just skimmed through and missed that part. im looking forward to the video though....:D

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:shamefullyembarrased: oh boy my apologies, i hadn't read the whole post, i just skimmed through and missed that part. im looking forward to the video though....:D
Lol no worries we've all done it

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I went down to my older brothers house because he's at college and lives in another state so me and my parents visited him at his house he rents with his fiancé, he's an mma guy who's been training it about a year longer than I've been training. We talked about fighting and training etc and decided to spar in his garage which he has as a make shift gym with padded floors and walls we used 8 ounce gloves and agreed no full powered head shots but light taps to the side of the head and we had mouth guards and groin protectors.

Now I was a bit rusty since my gym has closed for the summer now until September since a lot of people had gone away and the head coach is away in Poland for 3 weeks anyway.

But we sparred and my brother prefers to strike anyway he uses a real side on taekwondo stance even though he's never trained it but that's his way we both caught each other with hits, im younger but im taller so I used a lot of jabs, leg kicks and push kicks to keep him at range and set up my punches, he used a lot of roundhouse kicks and tried to close the distance and use body shots or clinches or takedowns not hard shots though we both know not to go to hard. I managed to block a few of his takedowns, he got me down a couple times but I managed to hold him and he only tapped me once. He's the first to admit his ground is pretty basic. But it was a fun spar and then we exchanged moves and worked on some drills together it was awesome. I've got a video of the match which I'll post here when I'm back on a computer (on my phone at the moment)

My best shot on him was probably a low kick followed by a high kick off the same leg which tapped the side of his head and we both smiled and high fived at it.

His best was probably 2 hook punches to both my sides followed by him stepping back with a push kick which sent me back.
On a side note I seriously wish I had a garage gym it was an awesome place he had, he had heavy bags, speed bags, weights, skipping rope pretty much everything it was a lot of fun

Were you guys sitting there talking about MA, then the conversation turned into this...?

Him: "Wait a minute, did we just become best friends?"
You: "Yup!"
Him: "Do you want to do karate in the garage?!!"
You: "Yup!!!"

Then you started punching Doritos bags and chopping watermelons with samurai swords that are signed by Randy Jackson?

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I love the Step-brothers movie. It's all in good fun.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Were you guys sitting there talking about MA, then the conversation turned into this...?

Him: "Wait a minute, did we just become best friends?"
You: "Yup!"
Him: "Do you want to do karate in the garage?!!"
You: "Yup!!!"

Then you started punching Doritos bags and chopping watermelons with samurai swords that are signed by Randy Jackson?

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I love the Step-brothers movie. It's all in good fun.
Never seen that movie so waking up at 8 in the morning and looking on here and seeing this confused the hell out of me lol