Space pioneers wanted for 520-day Mars experiment

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I doubt that I'll pass the physical and hearing test but what the hell... sign me up! I'll give it a bash.
Space pioneers wanted for 520-day Mars experiment
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070619/sc_afp/spacemarseurope_070619110956
Tue Jun 19, 7:09 AM ET
LE BOURGET, France (AFP) - The European Space Agency (ESA) on Tuesday called for applications for one of the most demanding human experiments in space history: a simulated trip to Mars in which six "astronauts" will spend 17 months in an isolation tank on Earth.
Their spaceship will comprise a series of interlocked modules in an research institute in Moscow, and once the doors are closed tight, the volunteers will be cut off from all contact with the outside world except by a delayed radio link.
They will face simulated emergencies, daily work routines and experiments, as well as boredom and, no doubt, personal friction from confinement in just 550 cubic metres (19,250 cubic feet), the equivalent of nine truck containers.
Communications with the simulated mission control and loved-ones will take up to 40 minutes, the time that a radio signal takes to cross the void between Earth and a spaceship on Mars. Food will comprise mainly the packaged stuff of the kind eaten aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
The goal is to gain experience about the psychological challenges that a crew will face on a trip to Mars.
It's gonna be a long strange trip to the planet and back. A lot of things for a potential astronaut to consider. Being away from Earth for so long and the changes that'll occur while away. I don't think the loneliness and isolation will be that big of a problem as there'll be others aboard. Whether or not they'll all get along is another question. Day in and day out with the same people (like we do here on MT (giggles) ) one would be driven to distraction wouldn't they?
Plus all things considered it's a potential suicide mission. Since we (mankind) haven't traveled into DEEP space before (going to the moon doesn't count IMO) all we have to go on is speculation as to what's out there. The hubble and the other observatory telescopes can only cover so much of the sky at once and so many eyes to watch it, to quote Billy Bob Thorton's character in the movie Armageddon... "it's a big *** sky."
Still if given the opportunity I'd do it if they'd have me. Heck it'll give me the opportunity to explore those big holes in the planet surface!
Would you do it? Do you think it's worth the risk? Any other thoughts or questions you can come up with? This is hopefully going to happen. We're way way behind in our potential space exploration, it's about time that we started catching up... don't you think?

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't personally go but I have a few friends who always said they would go to another planet kick open the shuttle door and rule like a king (lol). I'm guessing the time is ripe for them to lose face on this one...However, I do agree we are way behind on our potential and mandatory obligation to perpetuate our races survival by spreading to other planets.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It certainly makes sense to try it now - while they can observe them closely and modify if necessary - before sending a mission so far away with not way to intervene.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were single, I'd consider it... however, since you have no real choice as to your roomates, it could prove rather interesting :) I wonder what they do if someone gets sick? Seriously sick? I know the ideal is to deal with it as if in space, but would it be ethical to let someone die from a condition treatable on Earth?

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I were single, I'd consider it... however, since you have no real choice as to your roomates, it could prove rather interesting :) I wonder what they do if someone gets sick? Seriously sick? I know the ideal is to deal with it as if in space, but would it be ethical to let someone die from a condition treatable on Earth?

It would be reasonable to assume that NASA would send a full fledged physician/surgeon with a equally qualified nurse to assist along on this mission and a full pharmacy to ensure if such an event occurs that it will be taken care of.
It's almost like that game of elimination of the lifeboat. Where each person assigned a different career/skill is given a chance to explain why they would be important to save and kept on the lifeboat. We know that we would keep a doctor aboard, same with an engineer and so on. NASA I believe would have those people, making sure every contingency is taken care of and that every person has some sort of cross-training to fill in any missing gaps that may come up along the way.
I'm sure not just any joe-blow is going to get to go. All the people selected would be essential to whatever goals the mission has. So they'll be testing each of these people during the trial run not only for psychological strengths to handle the stresses that'll be endured during the flight to/from Mars but their ability to handle emergencies and whatever else may come up.
That being said I'd still like to give it a shot just for the heck of it. I mean how often does this come up in a person's life time eh? I'm single so don't have to worry about leaving m'wife/kids behind doing a Major Tom.

Latest Discussions