Sor Vorapin Muay Thai

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just like the boxers you saw that is their personal choice to keep their hands down, it means they are cocky and need a good smack in the head to remind them they aren't as good as they think.

A few ITF schools isn't enough to make that kind of judgement, I've been to tons and seen so many different things going on at different schools.... some ITF schools look exactly like WTF schools, some look like Karate schools, the majority are taught to keep their hands the frik up though. You visited a few and state with absolution " they have their hands beside their waists. No hands up." I run an ITF school and know what the curriculum is, and it's get your damn hands up NOW. A student of mine drops their hands I hit them in the head. It's how I was taught and it worked wonders for me.

I just trained at some really good WTF schools while in Thailand but even their instructors will agree that the majority of WTF schools are all about sport. Majority doesn't mean all though. ITF is a martial art with competition as an extra on the side. The competitive side is as sporty as all the other forms of martial competition (boxing, WTF TKD, kickboxing etc..) Like I said earlier though, I've seen ITF schools that only care about sporty winning... and I cringe every time I think about it.

Thai jamb kick? You mean teep to the hip? Of course I use it, during my fight I used it but missed and got his groin... oh well. I gave him a quick "Y" to apologise and kept going. Truth is I prefer teep to the torso as they are launching an attack. It's an easier target for me to hit square when under pressure and people are all sweaty and slippery.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

sakuraba

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Damian,

My first time on the site.I read your thread about farangs not getting reel training like the thai;s in camps in thailand.Im going to sor.vorapin 2 but dont want the easy life,Is this gym as bad as you say or if I work hard will I get the rewards.Im a total novice to muay thai but still want to train for reel.

Kind regards

Here I go starting another thread in this section....ok we all know you Muay Thai people are out there! How come nobody but me posts here? haha

Anyway, I have been training a bit at Sor Vorapin Muay Thai camp in Banglampoo in Bangkok. It's near all the creepy foreigners....The training is pretty good, the best part is if you stay with all the other foreigners the club is right there for you to train at a couple times a day. This week I have been training here, at the Thai Japan Muay Thai gym and at Asia Pacific Tae Kwon Do. It's a pretty good combination. If anyone ever decides to come down to Thailand this info will be invaluable I'm sure but if none of you ever come..... guess this is meaningless heh.

My website has 3 sections of photos of Thailand and the training here if anyone is interested.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions