Some thoughts on Objective morality/reality.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rational individuals are self-interested. Their rights do not come at the expense of others. Rights are rights to action, not claims to the goods and services of others.

Altruism, the doctrine that self-sacrifice is the highest good, is self-destructive. Rational self-interest does not preclude benevolence, either -- for true benevolence is self-interested.

Human beings possess certain natural rights. They are born with the inalienable ownership of themselves and the products of their labors.

Governments are instituted among human beings within a free society for the purpose of protecting individual rights. That is the only appropriate role of government.

Reality is objective, not subjective. It is our task as human beings to perceive this objective reality. Our senses may be flawed, but they are nonetheless sufficient for the task. They are also all we have.

Morality must be based on reality and thus is it also objective. The standard of value for objective reality, the primary goal, is to promote and sustain individual life. This is not equivalent to life at any cost; an irrational life is not worth living. Some may attempt to argue that the choice to exist is not the primary goal, but they would be wrong.

Every individual needs philosophy. Your philosophy is the guide through which you make decisions regarding the goal-directed action that is essential to furthering your existence as a mortal being. Philosophies can only be judged according to the degree to which they facilitate the decisions necessary to this goal-directed action.

So there. ;)

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Elfan

Would you then apose the formaiton of corporations as the products of the workers labours go not to themselves but to the group (aka corporation)?

I would say that a corporation should labor to keep it's products marketed, and it's employees working. I would venture to say that the employees of a corporation maintain the ownership of what they produce as long as they are willing to participate in the corporation as an employee or stock holder or both. The degree of ownership that they have over a product depends on what their role is in the corporation and what the underlying agreement is... (did they design / invent the product, etc...).

My opinion,
Billy Lear :asian:

G

GouRonin

Having a degree in Philosophy I often meet individuals looking to converse on the subject. While the argument is well put together and has some basis on pre-supposed concepts based on the ethnocentricty of the poster I have this in response.

Smoked Oyster Ceviche Style

1 85 g can of smoked oysters drained
50 ml or 1/4 cup lime juice
50 ml or 1/4 cup lemon juice
Dash chili powder
Dash Oregano
50 ml or 1/4 cup tomato, seeded, peeled, chopped
50 ml or 1/4 cup diced red pepper
50 ml or 1/4 cup diced green pepper
15 ml or 1 tbsp chopped green onion
250 ml or 1 cup english cucumber, seeded, diced
15 ml or 1 tbsp chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Crisp lettuce leaves

Drain oysters, Cut in half.

In a small bowl combine lime and lemon juice, chili powder and oregano.

Add oysters and gently coat with marinade. marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the refridgerator. In bowl, combine all other ingredients except lettuce leaves. Keep well chilled.

An hour before serving, drain oysters, add to vegetable mixture and toss gently. Return to refridgerator until serving time. Serve on crisp lettuce leaves.

Makes approximatly 3 side salads or could be used as an appitizer.

Bon appetite!

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gou,

Best response I've seen to that post yet. :)

Would you then apose the formaiton of corporations as the products of the workers labours go not to themselves but to the group (aka corporation)?

Workers exchange their effort for a different value -- the money they are paid. The product of the workers' labor is thus the very money with which they go home.

E

Elfan

*Atempts to restart this discusion*

from a rather famouse Documnent:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,

Now the US Constitution is not perfect but it is generally taken to be a good example of what libertarians/natural law/old right/classical liberals/whatever would like. However, it lists a good bit more than individual rights as the reason it was established.

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Think carefully about each of those items. They all can be considered part of protecting individual rights.

R

Richard S.

supreme political power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government

E

Elfan

Originally posted by Richard S.

supreme political power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government

I think I've heard that before, is that a quote from somewhere?

The communist anarchist from Monty Python?

Latest Discussions