Some new toys!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd thought about getting a rebreakable board to play with at home. I've never done any breaking, and it might be something to get me to do more solo training (which I generally don't enjoy except for a few specific drills).

For those who have experience with them, is there a reliable rebreakable that tends to keep its....um..is "tension" the right word?? Anyway...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd thought about getting a rebreakable board to play with at home. I've never done any breaking, and it might be something to get me to do more solo training (which I generally don't enjoy except for a few specific drills).

For those who have experience with them, is there a reliable rebreakable that tends to keep its....um..is "tension" the right word?? Anyway...
No matter what you use, it’s going to wear out eventually. Doesn’t matter if it’s made of paper, cast iron, or anything in between. The key is getting one that’ll last the longest. And I have no brands/models to recommend due to not knowing what I’ve used and how many times it’s been used.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Careful with shuto. Keep your hand nice and tight, ie squeezing your fingers together. It’s an odd feeling when you don’t, as I learned the first couple times breaking boards with it.

Yeah for sure, wanna try shuto next. Cheers!

Also, try using Coach’s Eye app if you aren’t. You can slo-mo, rewind, control the speed, etc. very easily. That’ll help determine the angle of weapon, placement, stuff like that. I used it in our dojo for breaking competition training. Everyone loved it. They were easily able to key in on stuff they missed with regular video even played in slo-mo.

Edit: I redid part of my patio and now have a bunch of old pavers. I think you can see where this is going :)

I'm downloading it as we speak! Been meaning to for ages! Just watched my vid back in super slow mo on YouTube and it was still a bit laggy, can't wait to try the app.

And yes, that is GREAT news! ;D

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is my first one so I can't give any thoughts, I think I read something about certain types of rebreakables that fit together in a certain way wear out quicker, but can't remember... that is supremely unhelpful haha, but yeah it's worth researching. They seriously are a great training tool!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually think I've figured out why my knuckle and ankle were bruised! (Ankle so sore today!)

I watched my vids back heaps of times at 1/4 speed, and think when I broke them, the board simply whipped round and hit me. Because it's the same for each one, for the hammerfist my first knuckle was bruised, and heel kick, my ankle was bruised.

Both sides were impacted in the same way, that makes more sense than a joint/bone related thing... I think the board half had just smacked into that side each time!

HOW does one avoid that? Haha.. only thing I can think is maybe striking THROUGH it even more, as in strike further in so the board just misses me...

Any thoughts guys?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup. I've a set of boards from UMAB - Ultimate Martial Arts Board they're color coded to match one of the more common belt systems, and range in difficulty up to a 2.25" pine board. The green board is most commonly used. It's equivalent to a 1" pine board. Ours has been broken hundreds of times, possibly as many as a thousand over the last 4-5 years. I still can't tell any difference in breaking feel between it and a pine board. My (not terribly scientific) method is to have someone put it on our board holder and cover it with a towel so I don't know which is which.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first one so I can't give any thoughts, I think I read something about certain types of rebreakables that fit together in a certain way wear out quicker, but can't remember... that is supremely unhelpful haha, but yeah it's worth researching. They seriously are a great training tool!
So, generally avoid those that fit together in a certain way? Got it. :p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I've a set of boards from UMAB - Ultimate Martial Arts Board they're color coded to match one of the more common belt systems, and range in difficulty up to a 2.25" pine board. The green board is most commonly used. It's equivalent to a 1" pine board. Ours has been broken hundreds of times, possibly as many as a thousand over the last 4-5 years. I still can't tell any difference in breaking feel between it and a pine board. My (not terribly scientific) method is to have someone put it on our board holder and cover it with a towel so I don't know which is which.
Thanks! I'll put one of those on my wish list, then.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes! Precisely! See I knew someone would understand!

(Laughed out loud at that XD )
Hey Simon,

Sorry to hear you got slightly injured doing the breaks. Tamashiwari, like any other skills, require you to practice regularly and I am an advocate of building up with months of preparation. The actual break is more mental than anything else but preparing your hands and feet over time and progressively more challenging surfaces is the way to go, imho. Still, good on ya for practicing tamashiwari at all.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Simon,

Sorry to hear you got slightly injured doing the breaks. Tamashiwari, like any other skills, require you to practice regularly and I am an advocate of building up with months of preparation. The actual break is more mental than anything else but preparing your hands and feet over time and progressively more challenging surfaces is the way to go, imho. Still, good on ya for practicing tamashiwari at all.

Yeah absolutely... I have done breaks before but no way near enough consistency or proper buildup to it, so you definitely have a point!

I do think it was maybe the board half just flipping back and whacking me, but I do need to work more on the striking surface I'm using.

Am wondering what I could do to better prepare... don't have any 'lighter' boards, but maybe for these downward strikes I could take my heavy bag off and lay it horizontal on the ground to get used to the motion and impact.. not optimal but it may be something I'll incorporate if I've decided what type of break I plan to do in advance.. cheers!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are a very talented person
HAHAHAHA ah good times XD. So talented right, I think that I couldn't get the audio synced with the vocals just adds to it XD

I filmed that like 13 years ago and put it back up for a laugh. Highly recommend lipsynching, alot of fun filming that XD

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA ah good times XD. So talented right, I think that I couldn't get the audio synced with the vocals just adds to it XD

I filmed that like 13 years ago and put it back up for a laugh. Highly recommend lipsynching, alot of fun filming that XD
The only thing that upsets me is why there are so few views

Latest Discussions