Some Liang BaGuaZhang Application

Joey Haber

White Belt
Reaction score
I've start to post some applications to the Liang BaGuaZhang DIngShiBaZhang or Fixed Eight Palms. I will try and post once a week on my youtube channel.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At 1.31, 1.42, how do you prevent your opponent from releasing his wrist hold, and lock your neck while you are spinning your body and give him your back?

It's very risky to turn your back into your opponent. But Bagua system does this a lot and I don't understand why.

behind-choke.jpg

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At 1.31, 1.42, how do you prevent your opponent from releasing his wrist hold, and lock your neck while you are spinning your body and give him your back?

It's very risky to turn your back into your opponent. But Bagua system does this a lot and I don't understand why.

behind-choke.jpg
Someone else (i think @Xue Sheng ) mentioned recently that Bagua was a system trained for multiple attackers. A lot of it's movements, footwork and strategies make a ton of more sense from that perspective

OP
J

Joey Haber

White Belt
Reaction score

behind-choke.jpg
Great Question. As i said in the video, the drill at 1.31 and 1.42 is just a choreographed line drill to build comfort with footwork and spinal/hip articulation. It has no real use in combat. The video ends with an abridged version of the line drill that has some potential under duress 2.57.

OP
J

Joey Haber

White Belt
Reaction score
Someone else (i think @Xue Sheng ) mentioned recently that Bagua was a system trained for multiple attackers. A lot of it's movements, footwork and strategies make a ton of more sense from that perspective

BaGua does train to turn the back on opponents in multiple attacker situations. However, it's not something taught flippantly. The teachers I have worked with in TianTan, from both the Cheng and Liang families, have made it pretty clear that there is significant liability with turning the back. They have taught that it only really works if a constant destabilizing contact is kept with the opponent you are turning away from. This could take the form of disrupting spinal alignment or targeting the knee in a turn. it could also be a half complete thrown or lock that allows for a turn while one opponent is off balanced.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They have taught that it only really works if a constant destabilizing contact is kept with the opponent you are turning away from. This could take the form of disrupting spinal alignment
However, at the points in question (1.31 and 1.42), the guy turning his back, is the one with the bad spinal alignment. His structure appears broken, and his balance taken, by the way he is leaning so far back. The other guy just needs to take a step back, and the guy with his back turned, will land on his quister.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It has no real use in combat.
Why do you want to spend your valuable training time to develop something that has no combat value? Of course you may say that you train for health.

1. Train for health.
2. Train for combat but you will get health benefit too.

IMO, 2 > 1.

I train Bagua 8 palms as well. Every system has PRO and CON.

PRO:

1. Single switching hands.
2. Double switching hands.
3. Kou Bu (inward shin bite) and Bai Bu (outward shin bite).

CON:

1. Turn your back into your opponent.
2. Cross your legs while you are in your opponent's foot sweeping range.

I like to discuss the PRO. I also like to discuss the CON.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you want to spend your valuable training time to develop something that has no combat value? Of course you may say that you train for health.

1. Train for health.
2. Train for combat but you will get health benefit too.

IMO, 2 > 1.

I train Bagua 8 palms as well. Every system has PRO and CON.

PRO:

1. Single switching hands.
2. Double switching hands.
3. Kou Bu (inward shin bite) and Bai Bu (outward shin bite).

CON:

1. Turn your back into your opponent.
2. Cross your legs while you are in your opponent's foot sweeping range.

I like to discuss the PRO. I also like to discuss the CON.
You've posted before about your one-side-weighted pole, that I think you used to train for a tournament. Flipping the pole over has no real combat use, if you did that while in a fight, someone would just punch you while you're distracted. But it still helps, since it helped you develop a specific skill, and that skill had the combat use.

Latest Discussions