Some history discussion here.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very much enjoyed the video.
It is great to hear you discuss how becoming higher in Dan rank is a constant pursuit that becomes less about the individual and more about what is done to aid others in their journey and for the larger TKD community.
We will have to agree to disagree that all US TKD instructors trained under General Choi.

Last edited:
OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
We will have to agree to disagree that all US TKD instructors trained under General Choi.
I don't believe I said that. If you could point me to a time stamp I would appreciate it. If I said that I definitely mis spoke.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe I said that. If you could point me to a time stamp I would appreciate it. If I said that I definitely mis spoke.
My mistake then. I thought you said as such at about 30:20 into the interview.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My mistake then. I thought you said as such at about 30:20 into the interview.
I see - My comment was to the effect that "All the TK-D instructors knew General Choi's system originally. This was those using the name "TK-D" and doing "TK-D" pre KKW 1974 or so. This can of course be colored by one's perspective o what is and what is not "TKD" and what may have been a forerunner to TKD. Pre KKW most Korean instructors if not doing General Choi's system were calling what they did by the TSD, MDK, CDK, etc. There was huge resistance against adopting the name TKD, until the name became so popular it was easy to adopt irrespective of the system used so long as it had some Korean connection. A notable example might be Lee Won Kuk legendary CDK founder who obviously never trained under General Choi and came to the USA. But was he a "TKD" instructor or was he really a TSD instructor?

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Question on the pronunciation of "taekwondo" . In the video you stress the "Kwon" part, whereas I've tended to hear it as each syllable stressed similarly.

Is it an American English effect, or is there a Korean language reason for the stress on Kwon? Thanks!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question on the pronunciation of "taekwondo" . In the video you stress the "Kwon" part, whereas I've tended to hear it as each syllable stressed similarly.

Is it an American English effect, or is there a Korean language reason for the stress on Kwon? Thanks!
It's an English affect. Korean doesn't stress one syllable over the others.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Interesting - You are the first to point this out and I will have to give it some thought. I can't help but consider that since I think of it as Taekwon-Do and not Taekwondo the unintentional emphasis helps separate the "Taekwon" from "Do."

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting - You are the first to point this out and I will have to give it some thought. I can't help but consider that since I think of it as Taekwon-Do and not Taekwondo the unintentional emphasis helps separate the "Taekwon" from "Do."
And I would say that is the most important assessment of the name. It is all about the Do.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I learnt French first. I remember in 2nd grade the English teacher talking about which part of a word is stressed, and I had no idea what she was talking about.

She gave an example of "table", and I honestly stressed both the same. She was frustrated and thought I was an idiot. Really I was just learning a 2nd language.

Anyhow, I only started to watch the video, and was fascinated by a couple things so far. 1) the discussion on the block at 6 minutes, and 2) the time it takes to get better.

1) Just a few weeks ago , I mentioned as I was teaching in a kids' class (KWN style) that some school teach to have the blocking arm on the inside, but we are on the outside. Funny enough, the following week, an ITF student joined the KKW club and she had the inside arm blocking as I would expect of an ITF student. I meant to ask the KJN after class if that was to be corrected or respected, but I never had time to ask.

2) I have often felt that the brain develops with rest, just like the body, so the coordination can get better BETWEEN training and not just in training. I wonder if that is an aspect General Choi was addressing.

I look forward to finishing the video when I have time....and may post again!

Thanks again for the video.

Latest Discussions