Some General Military Combatives Material

D

Don Rearic

This is a continuation on a discussion started in the Modern Arnis Forum on Military Combatives. I did not think it fair to steal Datu Worden's thunder, so to speak, in a thread about his Website being updated. So, I point you at the original thread discussing that and to see why I placed this in here.

I placed it in "Knife Arts Forum" because the knife has always been an intrinsic part of Military Combatives, regardless of hand-held or rifle/shotgun-mounted.

This is the original link so you can see where I'm coming from:

Click here to see original Mil-Combatives Comments in Datu Worden's Website Update Thread in the Modern Arnis Forum here at MartialTalk.Com

Now, after look at that and perusing the links, here is some more information for you to take a gander at:

MCRP) 3-02B 1999

The Classic, Fairbairn's "Get Tough!"

The "Lost" Fairbairn Knifefighting Manual, never published.

OP
D

Don Rearic

Actually, that's just a glimpse, one chapter in the manual.

They have discarded LINE Combatives and have went back with a Panel of Subject Matter Experts [SME], I believe Bob Kasper, Kelly McCann, Jack Hoban, Mr. Donvito [LINE Comabtives] and Richard Heckler...and re-wrote everything. What you see in the USMC Manual link is but one chapter. The USMC is extremely anal about releasing H2H Manuals compared to the Army.

Anyway, LINE was dropped and Close Combat, some techniques going back to World War Two, Applegate, Fairbairn and other techniques brought into the new system via Kasper and McCann, and then some of the stuff you see in that chapter linked here.

Bob Kasper's Kni-Com Knifefighting is the Method of choice with the new USMC Close Combat System.

OP
D

Don Rearic

There was an issue of Tactical Knives Magazine out a couple/few years ago, I would have to dig it out of the bookshelf, with Bob Kasper and Master Gunnery Sgt. Cardo Urso doing knife.

The new Marine Corps Martial Arts Program is adopting some of the trappings of Traditional Martial Arts...they stated a "tan belt" in there, but in actuality, they are going by T-shirt color. I don't know if I missed that or not in this article, but it was in another one I read just a few days ago. I don't know why this one stated "belt." I guess that is easier to explain than the T-shirt concept.

Some of the emphasis is on creating a "Gentleman Warrior" or some such term I read about in the last article a few days ago. With some sexual harassment sensitivity training and whatnot. My Dad was a Marine...it's rather surreal that they would include that. Marines by nature are a bit [more] rough around the edges because they are called on to do many nasty things...that's the nature of the Military and the History of the USMC. In other words, the whole Marine Corps training has always been geared at having respect, etc. And not until the 90s did the focus shift to more...errah..."Politically Correct Concerns."

They might eventually dump the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and start over, as the Military tends to do with Combatives Programs from time to time.

Or, they might keep the Program and shift the techniques to more P.C. or more Brutal, H2H.

Time will tell.

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by arnisador

Related news:
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0102/010402nj2.htm
This is kinda wild because i trained on Parris Island S.C. (May 7th 85) and we trained in at least 95 percent of the stuff that they are implementing now! Maybe they were doing some type of experimentation into the study. I know that the hand to hand was very vigorous and very deadly. Weapons was very much the same. All i know is that when they marched us to the casket and said that there is 2 ways to get off the island. One was obvious,.. or graduate! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hollywood1340

Normaly I'm a bit lery of anyone over ninth dan who can still put on his pants.

Ninjutsu goes up to 15th dan; this was discussed previously in the Ninjutsu forum. If you mean he seems a bit young for such a high rank, well, I don't know how it's supposed to go in the Bujinkan.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current issue of Black Belt (July 2003) has an article on teh MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) that I found worth reading. Everyone gets a tan belt after boot camp or OCS.

They break techniques into 4 general categories:
-rifle/bayonet
-edged weapons
-weapons of opportunity
-unarmed combat

At black belt level they include pressure points, it says.

Latest Discussions