Solo training, forms and "shadow boxing" with sticks.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry...
Carenza, is like shadow boxing but using any and all the weapon categories of the Filipino Martial Art you are practicing.
The terminology EyD is Espada y Daga. Seguidas in Pekiti-Tirsia are 3 sets of 12 intermediate level weapon technique combinations. The first set of 12 cover largo or long range to medio range and back to largo. The 2nd set covers Largo through medio to close, and the 3rd set covers mostly close range, takedowns, working on your knees, and getting back to your feet.
Solo Baston Contradas are Single stick or short sword countering techniques vs an opponent who either is bigger and stronger than you, or has a heavier weapon than you, or both. The Recontras are countering attacks vs an opponent who has a lighter weapon than you, or that you are the stronger of the two, or both.
Break in/Break out drills are countering drills meeting the opponent's force and immediately moving behind the force to counter strike using the energy of the force to striking behind it. Segang labo drills are very similar to Hubud Lubud and are used with all weapon categories.
Chekete and Etchekete drills are counter thrusting drills. Chekete would be a parrying of the opponent's weapon while performing a direct countering thrust. Etchekete would be a parrying of the weapon with your weapon, gaining some sort of control of the weapon arm and then a thrusting attack.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was put together by my friends and fellow pekiti-tirisa practitioners Jack Latorre and Ppaulo Rubio.
Check out The Global Karenza Project

Yeah, I recognized Jack(at 1:34). I've never met him in person (I'm in Arizona and he's in upstate New York) but I trained for years with his big brother Jeff LaTorre out in Gilbert, AZ ...and the two look quite a bit alike, except Jeff is shaved bald. BTW Jeff also trained Pekiti with Tuhon Bill McGrath before taking up DTE with Martin Torres. Anyway, I found this video really motivating! :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I recognized Jack(at 1:34). I've never met him in person (I'm in Arizona and he's in upstate New York) but I trained for years with his big brother Jeff LaTorre out in Gilbert, AZ ...and the two look quite a bit alike, except Jeff is shaved bald. BTW Jeff also trained Pekiti with Tuhon Bill McGrath before taking up DTE with Martin Torres. Anyway, I found this video really motivating! :)
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Jeff however am aware of his skill and knowledge. Jack and I came up through the system together from back around 92 to today. The past several years Jack, myself, Scott Faulk, and Tuhon Bill are the staff instructors for the Pekiti-Tirsia International yearly camp so I get to see Jack at least once a year.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry...
Carenza, is like shadow boxing but using any and all the weapon categories of the Filipino Martial Art you are practicing.
The terminology EyD is Espada y Daga. Seguidas in Pekiti-Tirsia are 3 sets of 12 intermediate level weapon technique combinations. The first set of 12 cover largo or long range to medio range and back to largo. The 2nd set covers Largo through medio to close, and the 3rd set covers mostly close range, takedowns, working on your knees, and getting back to your feet.
Solo Baston Contradas are Single stick or short sword countering techniques vs an opponent who either is bigger and stronger than you, or has a heavier weapon than you, or both. The Recontras are countering attacks vs an opponent who has a lighter weapon than you, or that you are the stronger of the two, or both.
Break in/Break out drills are countering drills meeting the opponent's force and immediately moving behind the force to counter strike using the energy of the force to striking behind it. Segang labo drills are very similar to Hubud Lubud and are used with all weapon categories.
Chekete and Etchekete drills are counter thrusting drills. Chekete would be a parrying of the opponent's weapon while performing a direct countering thrust. Etchekete would be a parrying of the weapon with your weapon, gaining some sort of control of the weapon arm and then a thrusting attack.
The cool thing about this is that I understood everything you stated. I reread the thread and realized two years ago from both your posts and mine I'd be completely lost. An interest way to realize I've improved (my knowledge at least).

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The cool thing about this is that I understood everything you stated. I reread the thread and realized two years ago from both your posts and mine I'd be completely lost. An interest way to realize I've improved (my knowledge at least).
Well, I'm glad you understood it. LOL...Many don't seem to understand much of what I say.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's my old teacher (haven't worked with him personally in a very long time) explaining our approach to "forms". Very different from TMA where the forms are set in stone, so to speak. What starts out being trained as a "form" gradually expands, and ends up being pretty much a karenza.

Forms in PCE (my school based on Latosa Concepts): I teach about half-a dozen kata-like patterns, each with several variations. We start with a fixed pattern teaching specific techniques and concepts. We work each pattern three ways: slow for flow, fast for speed, heavy for power. Then we combine all three.

Later we expand each section, adding follow-up hits and practicing different combinations, changing the footwork from linear to off-lining, from power-side (southpaw) lead to alternating leads, from aggressively advancing, to moving laterally, or retreating. Then working against a partner who feeds us hits ...and moves, so we have to use distance and timing. First in the pre-arranged order, then at random.

Finally, you leave the form behind, or make it so personal and flexible that, with a partner, it verges on sparring, and done solo, it is pure karenza.

Latest Discussions