solo practice

lcII

White Belt
Reaction score
what do you practice at home, as opposed to what you do in class? What, if you will, is your homework? Do you practice kata, hit the heavy bag, tire dummy, practice your techniques a set number of times?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I try to shadow box and have a good cardio workout before I stretch.

Then I throw ninja stars at pictures of ex-girlfriends....

You know, the usual ;P

Welcome to MT!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I perform all of my forms, self-defense techniques, shadow boxing, strength training, cardio, basics, and freestyle techniques. I also try to condition my body parts for heavier contact. I work my flexibility through yoga and daily stretching exercises.

I also shoot my firearms working on all fundementals.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I'm a newbie, I practice my crescent step. A lot. Basic exercises, plus I practice my Japanese names for exercises, a requirement for the next belt.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
At home I practise my basic tai sabaki and kihon. These are just the basics to learn various body movements to evade and counter. I repeat them regularly. I also do a lot of light leg stretching every day to make myself more flexible, and push-ups.

I have a heavy thai bag that I still need to hang in my garage. When that is done I can get back to practising munches and kicks.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I slow techniques (new and old) down to insure proper form and to insure it is committed to muscle memory. I also have a book that I right new things down or my personal ah ha moments on old techniques. I also mentally go over things in my head visualizing what it looks like, especially forms.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you practice at home, as opposed to what you do in class? What, if you will, is your homework? Do you practice kata, hit the heavy bag, tire dummy, practice your techniques a set number of times?

Mostly kata and techniques. I don't have a heavybag, so anything like that needs to be done at the dojo. Some stick work from Arnis can be done, but for you to really get anything out of that, you need a partner.

When performing katas and techs., I usually vary the speed that I do them. Doing them slower will allow for me to really break things down, making sure stances are correct, etc.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm fortunate that my 6'3", 200 lb. eighteen year old son is in the same classes that I am, so I can actually practice techniques that require a partner in addition to solo material.

I stretch, jump rope, perform slow kicks, kicks, strike the makiwara board, and practice kata.

For Kendo, I practice haya suburi, kata, strikes, and footwork.

Daniel

sparky12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Stretch, then stances, then open hand forms, kali form and practice, sword form, or bo form, heavy bag with kicks and hand techniques, and practice what was taught in the previous class. Whew go take a nap.
Regards, Don

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do forms at a slow speed (tai chi slow) and concentrate on stances and proper form while tightening up the muscles in my body. Kinda like isometric exercises, and work on building up the "bridge" on my forearms and legs.

My wife won't actually let me practice the partner stuff on her. Man, she uses that "I'm pregnant" excuse for everything.LOL

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, as a member of the WKKA, I train using the WKKA DVD's. The DVD's contain techniques from white belt through brown belt. I also train at home using Modern Arnis DVD's. Some of them are cheap, but they contain a lot of information on Arnis. With Kenpo, since I am a student at a school, I practice over and over what I learned that day in class. I practice both forms and techniques on my own, and I do have a bag in which I practice punches, kicks, ridge-hands, back knuckles etc.

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bag work. Shadow boxing. I like to do forms with my eyes closed. it helps me think. I keep trying to shoot fireballs out of my hands like prince zuko but it has not worked yet :(