so you got knocked over, now what?

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Today I had a very enlightening lesson teaching methods of defending yourself in the unfortunate event you get knocked down.

What I learned is as follows. Firstly, if you fall back immediately go into a crabwalk and send your heel up like an arrow. If you fall forward, chances are your opponent is behind you, so on to the hands and balls of the feet and kick much like in the crab posture. This one we call spider posture. And if you're already flat on your back, just do a reclined inside-outside followed by an outside-inside with the second leg, then there's an oppurtunity to do a side cutter. This is the flowering kick, frequently seen in movies when a martial artist propells themselves to their feet from a reclined position. I can't do that, lol.

That's about all I got, can anyone else add their thoughts on repelling an attacker from the ground?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first priority is to get back up, you don't want the guy (and possibly his buddies) doing the "riverdance" on your face.

Basic goals: roll to your back, keep your feet between yourself and your opponent, get up using the "guarded standup" AKA, "street-fighter standup." How does this work? Start from lying on your back, roll to one hip (we'll pick the left for the sake of this illustration). Plant your "top" foot and bottom hand (since we're on our left hip this means the right foot and left hand). Push up so that your hand and foot are the only things touching the ground (left leg is able to kick or check, right arm is in front to block), swing your left leg back through between your right foot and left hand and stand up.

The benefits of this technique are that you are always in a postition to kick to create space should the attacker close on you. By using this method, you also move your head away from the attacker rather than toward him. There are various other methods, for example "propelling yourself up" like you mentioned, however, once you start this move you are committed and are leaving yourself off-balance and open to an attack. If you saw the last UFC (52 I think), a guy tried this method to get up and popped up right into a roundhouse kick to the face. I'll leave this one to the guys on the movie screen.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the (many :rolleyes: ) times that I have been knocked down I learned through hard trial and error that the best way is to tuck and roll foing forward or backward to a fall. This method is probably best taught/learned from by aikidoists, hapikidoists as well as jujitsuists and those who study Judo (pls. correct me if I'm wrong). Tucking and rolling prevents or minimized injury. Even in a non-combat situation it can be very helpful. Two weeks ago I crashed my bicycle at a high rate of speed (for a bike 40-45 mph is pretty fast... going down long and steep hill). In short hit a bump and caught air and the front tire landed badly and I flew over the handlebars. Next thing I know I'm on the ground on my back and sustained surprisingly very few injuries which included a cracked rib, road rash on my left hip and a hole in my left elbow which required five stitches.
My head and the rest of my body and my whole right side except for the palm of my right hand were untouched. I went over the accident while I was (waiting) to get stitched up... seems that I tucked and rolled as soon as I cleared the handle-bars and thus protected my head and the rest of my body. My elbow must've hit the pavement and then was forced into my rib which cracked (it was an old injury anyway...same place) it. I wear no helmet while riding (yeah, true, stupid) but I still instinctively protected my head by tucking my chin into my chest and using my strongest muscles (shoulders and back) to asorb the brunt of the impact.
Same with a fight. If a guy manages to get into your "center-of-gravity" and throw you off your tripod then by tucking and rolling into a ball quickly as possible you're best able to get back on your feet to face your opponent again. Or at least you'll be protecting your most vital of vitals... your skull/brain. Because without that... the fight is good as finished and you're carried by six to your final (earthly) resting place.
:asian:

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We practice our rolls and falls most nights, I would probally like said above roll out if possible. This last week we when over something, about being on the ground, on back with the attacker circling for a strike. Instructor says the person on the ground can move much quicker than the person circling, turn to side keep your back away from them feet up ready to strike back. Then get to your feet fast when open.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have done the 'tuck and roll' several times in sparring when I've gotten off balance and gone down. It helps minimize the impact and will get you back on your feet quickly

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
What I learned is as follows. Firstly, if you fall back immediately go into a crabwalk and send your heel up like an arrow. If you fall forward, chances are your opponent is behind you, so on to the hands and balls of the feet and kick much like in the crab posture. This one we call spider posture. And if you're already flat on your back, just do a reclined inside-outside followed by an outside-inside with the second leg, then there's an oppurtunity to do a side cutter. This is the flowering kick, frequently seen in movies when a martial artist propells themselves to their feet from a reclined position. I can't do that, lol.

That's about all I got, can anyone else add their thoughts on repelling an attacker from the ground?
Well, having a set (static) technique to use when falling down is pretty naive. There are so many different things that could change, one static technique is not going to work. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "crabwalk", but if your talking about putting your hands down on the ground, I would say thats a bad, bad idea if being thrown to the ground with any force. Never try to catch yourself on your hands, bad idea. Also, when falling in any direction, I would highly advocate usin a roll. Your "falling forward" scenario could be quite good, if you include a forward roll right after that "mule kick". Again however, never on your hands, your could really hurt yourself doing that. Being flat on your back you have several different option, not one of which would I include a "kip-up". Yeah, I thought of that UFC video as well, and I've seen that happen from time to time in my school. A roll is going to be one of your best friends in that situation.

7sm

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the things that I really like about Tang Soo Do is their training in what we call "one up - one down" sparring. We start the training with breakfall drills where the uki must immediately assume a guarded position on the ground. This position allows the person to turn as an attacker circles, kick or sweep the attackers feet, and protect the head from any attacks that reach over the guard. This position is only held long enough until an opening allows one to get up.

When we are sparring, if one person goes down, the match continues. The attacker tries to get in on the defender and the defender attempts to back the attacker off so they can get up. This gets really hairy when two or more attackers join in...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
One of the things that I really like about Tang Soo Do is their training in what we call "one up - one down" sparring. We start the training with breakfall drills where the uki must immediately assume a guarded position on the ground. This position allows the person to turn as an attacker circles, kick or sweep the attackers feet, and protect the head from any attacks that reach over the guard. This position is only held long enough until an opening allows one to get up.

When we are sparring, if one person goes down, the match continues. The attacker tries to get in on the defender and the defender attempts to back the attacker off so they can get up. This gets really hairy when two or more attackers join in...
Heh, you think? You should see how hairy (and frightening) when it's on the street and for real... especially being the one on the ground.

It's a good tech to learn without question. Am wondering if you train outside as well. The psychological effects are radically different. In a park on the grass or in an alleyway (one that's been cleaned of broken glass and other harmful stuff ... for the sake of practice) creates a different psychological impact than on the soft mats of the floor of the dojos. :idunno: Worth a try wouldn't you agree? :D

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One response, if the opponent is not on top of you and there is some space between you and him, is to roll over on your side and sidekick his knee or head if he is coming in. Or it can just keep him away. You can rotate/swivel easily on your hip which is on the ground. I would rather get out of this position though as soon as possible and up on the feet. TW

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
The first priority is to get back up, you don't want the guy (and possibly his buddies) doing the "riverdance" on your face.
Arg, one of the worst I could imagine done on my face, lol.

Anyhow, absolutely I'd try and get up fast, but I also think there is an advantage to attacking in a position from which no attack is suspected.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Well, having a set (static) technique to use when falling down is pretty naive. There are so many different things that could change, one static technique is not going to work. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "crabwalk", but if your talking about putting your hands down on the ground, I would say thats a bad, bad idea if being thrown to the ground with any force. Never try to catch yourself on your hands, bad idea. Also, when falling in any direction, I would highly advocate usin a roll. Your "falling forward" scenario could be quite good, if you include a forward roll right after that "mule kick". Again however, never on your hands, your could really hurt yourself doing that. Being flat on your back you have several different option, not one of which would I include a "kip-up". Yeah, I thought of that UFC video as well, and I've seen that happen from time to time in my school. A roll is going to be one of your best friends in that situation.

7sm

I don't want to seem like these are "my scenarios" or that these are my ultimate model for defending myself when I slip up. They are just what I learned that day and I was interested in learning more.
Since each situation is unique, having a static set of anything to use during anything is naiive isn't it?

I am not sure why using one's hands to aid them in their fall is bad, isn't it a little safer than falling on ones' face?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
One response, if the opponent is not on top of you and there is some space between you and him, is to roll over on your side and sidekick his knee or head if he is coming in. Or it can just keep him away. You can rotate/swivel easily on your hip which is on the ground. I would rather get out of this position though as soon as possible and up on the feet. TW

Kenpotex's technique that he described (above) transitions through this position toward getting up, try it.

Lamont

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kenpotex said:

Basic goals: roll to your back, keep your feet between yourself and your opponent, get up using the "guarded standup" AKA, "street-fighter standup." How does this work? Start from lying on your back, roll to one hip (we'll pick the left for the sake of this illustration). Plant your "top" foot and bottom hand (since we're on our left hip this means the right foot and left hand). Push up so that your hand and foot are the only things touching the ground (left leg is able to kick or check, right arm is in front to block), swing your left leg back through between your right foot and left hand and stand up.

I tried that...thanks Blindside for pointing that out. It worked pretty good with our ground sidekick. TW

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
I am not sure why using one's hands to aid them in their fall is bad, isn't it a little safer than falling on ones' face?
Every person I've seen who didn't know how to fall stuck their hands down to try and catch themselves. Everyone of them also injured their hands, wrist, elbow, or some joint or muslce of their arm or arms. We usually use a roll, in the air or even using the forearms to catch the fall if completely neccesary, but sticking your hands out is pretty dangerous. Especially since if you think about it, most likely your arms will be locked when the contact is made on the floor. If they aren't locked, what good will they actually do anyways?

7sm

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Every person I've seen who didn't know how to fall stuck their hands down to try and catch themselves. Everyone of them also injured their hands, wrist, elbow, or some joint or muslce of their arm or arms. We usually use a roll, in the air or even using the forearms to catch the fall if completely neccesary, but sticking your hands out is pretty dangerous. Especially since if you think about it, most likely your arms will be locked when the contact is made on the floor. If they aren't locked, what good will they actually do anyways?

7sm
Oh I gotcha, that makes perfect sense. Though I don't know if they actually told us to fall onto our hands, and your use of the term roll rings a bell to me as being part of getting to the point where you are up on your hands. I'm a KF noob still, I apologize if out of my lack of knowledge I am not properly descriptive. :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
Oh I gotcha, that makes perfect sense. Though I don't know if they actually told us to fall onto our hands, and your use of the term roll rings a bell to me as being part of getting to the point where you are up on your hands. I'm a KF noob still, I apologize if out of my lack of knowledge I am not properly descriptive. :)
No problem, its hard to comunicate things sometimes via this medium. There are specific technical details that are hard to describe online sometimes.

7sm

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great topic to share! There will never be two same situtions and locations of grounds.(grass,dirt,cement,wood,carpets and mix floors)

Your surroundings and people nearby who maybe involved too. (some may have weapons of some kind or ready to stomp you.

There maybe on common thing we can do on the ground. Fight/kick/hit/bit? from where you are at and try to get up as quickly as possible and maybe run? Most of you seem to practice some form of fighting on the ground and escaping, this is good. Technique's use will depend on your own situtions.

Main thing is to get up standing as quickly as possible if this is the way to escape and defend yourself. (learn from back falls,side,front and variations of falls.)

Some many things to learn? Best is to talk or avoid bad situtions. .....Aloha

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been taught both to get to one's side and sidekick, and to get to crab position. I prefer the side position. In any event, one must keep moving to keep those feet toward the opponent!

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've been taught both to get to one's side and sidekick, and to get to crab position. I prefer the side position. In any event, one must keep moving to keep those feet toward the opponent!
I would opt for anything other than crab posture, I can barely hold my meaty girth up like that let alone kick. :boing1:

Latest Discussions