So, I have a domain. Now what?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once you've bought a domain name how do you actually start building the site to go with it? I have Notepad plus loaded on my computer for an editor. This entire thing will be a learning experience for me as I've never done anything like this before. The ultimate goal is to redo the site for my school and have it hosted by Bob. Unfortunately I'll likely be shihan of our system before I get this.:uhyeah: Any help for the clueless would be greatly appreciated....please? Anybody?

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Step 2 - find hosting provider
Step 3 - upload your code, media files (images, video,...)

Now depending how much you know about coding you might code from scratch or use CMS (content managment system), check [SIZE=-1]http://www.opensourcecms.com/ they have plenty of demos. If you don't know where to start look into Joomla, Drupal.
[/SIZE]

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a quick (ie short learning curve and fast setup) you can use a content manager system like Drupal, or phpNuke. Pluses are, its all web based similar to posting messages on a forum. Downside is, minimal customization unless you really dig into it.

Slightly longer but still a short learning curve would be to go the Frontpage route. It requires special stuff installed on your hosting account to fully work (not a problem), but is a very user friendly if somewhat limited (from a pro perspective) beginner solution. Drag, drop, etc.

Much higher learning curve but with the most flexibility is to get something like Dreamweaver. It's a pro tool, with a sometimes steep learning curve, but it is the most flexible.

You can also always hire a professional to do the initial design and then you maintain it.

Doing it yourself though can also be a rewarding experience. Grab HTML for Dummies and the Dummies book for whichever editor you decide to use, and set aside a weekend to hammer at em.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever done any web development before?
Nope, never, nada! This is one of those "We need someone to do the site free and none of us have a clue" kinda deals. I'm the closest thing to a 'puter person the dojo has and that ain't saying much. There hasn't been much I couldn't figure out though if I can get into a position to trial and error things out. That's why I'm asking all of the gurus here. Ya'll gotta know something to keep a place this big up and running.:ultracool

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Andrew. I saw that link on another thread in this forum. I'll check it out. No work today so I'll do that right now as a matter of fact. I downloaded the notepad plus from a link in that other thread. Guess I have my work cut out for me...and by extrapolation so do ya'll.:)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Andrew. I saw that link on another thread in this forum. I'll check it out. No work today so I'll do that right now as a matter of fact. I downloaded the notepad plus from a link in that other thread. Guess I have my work cut out for me...and by extrapolation so do ya'll.:)

No problem, HTML is easy ;)

Any idea what sort of layout / design you are going for?

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point just the basics of 4 or 5 pages with photos, contact info, info about the art and instructors. Nothing fancy but at this stage of my ability anything is gonna seem fancy to me. I'm most certainly a white belt at this. I checked out the W3Cschools site that you linked. Man, does it ever seem daunting. Is there any way that I can practice building a site before I get a host in an offline mode? That way I can get things straight before putting out the expense of the hosting.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point just the basics of 4 or 5 pages with photos, contact info, info about the art and instructors. Nothing fancy but at this stage of my ability anything is gonna seem fancy to me. I'm most certainly a white belt at this. I checked out the W3Cschools site that you linked. Man, does it ever seem daunting. Is there any way that I can practice building a site before I get a host in an offline mode? That way I can get things straight before putting out the expense of the hosting.

Yes, as long as you are only using html / css, no need for a server. Do everything locally then upload it all in one shot.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck I use dreamweaver and enjoy it alot yet it has been a steep learning curve. Fortunately I have website developer that I can ask questions to at any time. Still get ready to lose some hair. :shrug:

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's also quite nice to know at least a little bit of html ;)
I know that can be a tough job but nvu can help you on that :)
You can use it as a WYSIWYG tool but with the use of tabs you can see the code of what you have made.
You don't have to off course but it's a very nice way to learn ! :)
and nvu is free to use ;)

if you choose a webhost ; try to look for one that uses a extended "panel" .
It's nice to have an graphical interface where you can edit stuff quite easy :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hire Bob Hubbard to make something happen. Its easier ;)

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
In addition to the above, when you do upload a site, make sure there is content for every page. It's a turnoff to open a link and find "This page is still under construction."

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, I took the advice of ArmorOfGod via PM and set the site up via googlepages and directed my domain to point to that site. I'm still hammering away at the HTML and CSS so that I can build one from scratch. Check this out and tell me if it is easy to navigate and so forth. Anyone who wants to do a link swap is welcome to. Thanks for all the help. Link

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Looks very nice !
I would have chosen for 1 color scheme for the "sub pages" tough but overall it looks good :)

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another idea for the HTML types ... surf the net, find something close to what you might like ... select 'View Source'.

Gotta luv open source. Unfortunately, nowadays there are many scripting languages and there will be much you can't see or follow, but you may run into some straigh HTML programing that will be 'Cut n Paste'.

Just an idea that has worked for many in the past ...

Latest Discussions