So I decided to stay in the goat stance for 20 minutes straight

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now walking feels weird as hell. I must too lazy :lol2:

That's very good , not lazy at all.
It is not as easy as one would think , even Tsui Seung Tin tells people to move around in chi sau so their thighs don't tense up.

Next time you do it , really concentrate on letting your legs relax and work on trying to open up your spine , visualize your spine as a straight line from your coccyx to the top of your head.
Imagine the spaces between your vertebrae are opening up , this is called getting the spine to "sing".

In my lineage we also maintain a slight internal contraction , which further serves to help keep us concentrated on this straight spine link between lower body and top of head.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's very good , not lazy at all.
It is not as easy as one would think , even Tsui Seung Tin tells people to move around in chi sau so their thighs don't tense up.

Heck just plain standing without moving for twenty minutes can be tough. I prefer varying stance work with movement ...turning, stepping and so forth. Character-two (YGKYM) stance in our lineage is performed with constant adduction which, in turn, is present in all our stance and steps. The upper body posture is also the same, so why not train moving?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer varying stance work with movement ...turning, stepping and so forth. Character-two (YGKYM) stance in our lineage is performed with constant adduction which, in turn, is present in all our stance and steps. The upper body posture is also the same, so why not train moving?
Agreed. Once you know what YGKYM is and what you should be feeling then you will gain far more by stepping and turning than standing statically.