What was Yip Man actually like as a person?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. I can't really find much info about his personality and attitudes other than he was a bit mischievous with a sense of humor. Anyone have any info?

6vior

White Belt
Reaction score
hello Marnetmar.

i heard say that YIP MAN, was a excellent drinker.

He loved absinthe, and light drug, but i am not sure.

SALVATORE

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is an interesting question, but not one that anybody I've seen posting on this forum can answer. It would be hard to get an objective answer even from those who knew him well, such as friends, family and close students. The historical record does suggest that he was far from the saintly figure depicted in the first Ip Man movie. Rather he was apparently a complicated man, a gifted martial artist, and equally capable of generosity and selfish pettiness. In other words, very human.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ip Chun discusses him briefly in his books but I doubt he is writing the complete story and even if he is he is writing from the perspective of Ip Man's son

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I know about him is he liked his pipe and died shortly before Bruce Lee made it big.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
My question would be which Ip Man would you be asking about? I have a feeling that the Ip Man that taught in Foshan was far different from the Ip Man that came to Hong Kong in 1949. After everything that he experience I cannot imagine that it did not impact his personality and general outlook on life.

Latest Discussions