Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Well? Lets hear all the great bits. :D

:asian:

I'm suprised so little has been mentioned thus far. Not just on
this forum, but all that I'm aware of. Hopefully tomorrow will be
brighter in that area!

G

gravity

could someone please give us the lowdown of the camp?
What areas were covered and by which instructors.

Thank You Kindly

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Well? Lets hear all the great bits. :D

:asian:

Yeah. Amen.
Even the not-great bits. :eek:

Especially any "announcements" that may have been made.

I wish I could have been there. :(

S

SThiess

This weekend was a blast. I personally haven't experienced so much fun, energy and love at a seminar. It was all about Kenpo and Mr. Parker, no politics at all. Just great!

The camp started off with the Friday night technique line at the Pasadena Studio. The place was packed. I counted up to 80 people on the mat. The group was divided into 4 separate technique lines and lead by one senior. Then continuously switching people between the lines. Many of the seniors, such as Bob Liles, Paul Dye, and John Sepulveda, participated. I they where going strong. Paul Dye, wow. The lines really got cranking and there was an incredible high energy in the studio. Awesome! We closed the Friday night with a group photo followed by the formal closing and then passing down the pain.

The next day started with a warm up at 8:00 in the morning. Frank Trejo, Dave Hebler, Bob Liles, Tom Kelly, Steve Labounty, Chuck Sullivan, Huk Planas,and Zak Whitson all taught classes. Many other seniors were also present. It was an intensive and hard day of workout. All senior gave awesome classes.

Saturday evening there was a dinner in L.A. China town, at a restaurant that Mr.Parker used to go to. At the dinner, several seniors were welcomed back into the IKKA.

After dinner it was back to the Pasadena school were almost all seniors being present came together an told stories and shared experiences about Ed Parker and their involvement into Kenpo. Mrs. Parker and Ed Parker Jr. were also at the Studio.

We started the Sunday later than planned. People where burned out after Friday and Saturday. But slowly one after another started showing up again and the Pasadena Studio was packed. All the seniors taught their classes again. And I can say, every one of them, a class of its own. Just want to give you a few of my impressions.

Mr. Bob Liles, the most powerful puncher I have seen in Kenpo was just amazing. Getting nailed by him several times was truly an honor. No, I am not going to post pictures of my bruises on the net. His classes were informative and exciting at the same time. Like no other, is he capable of throwing in jokes and turning a seminar into a fun party. My abs were not only hurting from his punches, but I had to laugh so much that they got sore. Even my facial muscles are sore today. It was hilarious, him impersonating Bruce Lee, a crack up. And still being such a generous, loving a sharing personality, just great. Sir, looking forward working out with you again.

Sigung Steve La Bounty was more than exciting to watch. I was stunned. He is such a generous and humble personality, combined with an incredible sense of humor. His classes were revealing, mind blowing and eye opening. I had so much fun and learned a lot. Guess more than my brain can take. Thank you Sir for being at the camp and sharing you knowledge.

Mr. Trejo, as always a blast. Having the honor to weekly attend his classes here in Pasadena, it again was very interesting to participate in his classes. You just cannot get enough of this man. The way he can share his stories, always fun. And the stuff he teaches you has been proved to work. :eek:) Looking forward to see you on Wednesday.

Zak Whitson and his counterpoint theories. This stuff fries your brain. It was just awesome and adds a totally new perspective to Kenpo. Definitely an enrichment to Kenpo. Thank you for sharing your ideas and concepts. I will be chewing on that for y long time.

I could go on and on but let’s get into the rest of the Sunday. After lunch there was a raffle of 2 of Mr. Hibbon’s knifes and one of Ed Parker Jr. paintings of SGM Mr. Parker. Following this, certificates of appreciation where given to all instructors and all participants of this Homecoming Camp received also a certificate signed by Ed Parker Jr., Diane Tanaka, William Kongaika, Chuck Sullivan, Frank Trejo, Sigung Steve La Bounty, Dave Hebler, Huk Planas, Tom Kelly, Bob Liles and Zak Whitson.

After that classes continued and an incredible weekend came slowly to an end. Hopefully there will be another camp. Overall it was amazing weekend, with awesome instructors and participants. I guess, somehow a one in a life time chance to meet all these seniors under one roof. An everlasting memory. Again from my side thank you to all Instructors and especially to Diane Tanaka, Ed Parker Jr. and William Kongaika who made this event possible.

A wonderful week to all of you.

Sven

P.S. Clyde your pink, neon green Gi Top was the bomb ! Does it come with a pair of sunglasses. ;o)

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow.
Apparently the Pasadena Homecoming was held on the 30th
anniversary of Bruce Lee's death:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/07/21/showbuzz/index.html#3

I don't want to derail the thread so if anyone wants to follow this up, please start a new thread.

I just bet that there was an unusually high-concentration of Martial Arts "thoughts" going on this weekend. Pasadena, Seattle and others like me thinking about stuff in my little apartment or house.

Ah well. Back to the thread. So what else happened? Pictures of the Homecoming anyone?
:boing1:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
I'm suprised so little has been mentioned thus far. Not just on
this forum, but all that I'm aware of. Hopefully tomorrow will be
brighter in that area!

Although I wasn't available for Saturday during the day, I made it to the restaurant Saturday evening for dinner. Afterwards we went back to the school, set up a panel of seniors, and we answered questions from the attendees moderated by Edmund.

It was an opportunity to see old friends I haven't seen in quite a while. It had been many years since I'd seen Chuck Sullivan, Steve LaBounty, Albert Conejo, and Bob Liles. I also had a chance to see others I hadn't seen in a couple years like Dave Hebler, Huk Planas, Diane Tanaka, John Sepulveda, and Tom KellEy. (xtra "e" for excellence)

I also had the opportunity to meet people I had only known through the internet, like Sandor and his lovely wife, Zach Winston who was a real gentleman, and Clint Hughes who runs KenpoNet, a really nice guy, as well as the lovely Doreen Congliandro (sp).

It was good to see the Parker children I watch grow up with their spouses and children (and grandchildren), and see how much "little Edmund" had grown and learn he had received his green belt.

I was asked to sign everyones "Journey" book, which was a real surprize because I kept telling people I wasn't in it. I signed my pictures in some Infinite Insights books, took a lot of pictures with attendees and everyone was very nice and warm.

After the camp the seniors who didn't need to fly out went to Edmunds house for a social and barbeque. I watched Jim Rushing cook, (a scary sight) and Doreen and I got wet when the springlers turned on, while Huk and Frank Trejo played dueling guitars and ukes.

Great fun, food, and folks. The only thing missing was the Old Man himself, and you know what - he was really there too.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Doc
I was asked to sign everyones "Journey" book, which was a real surprize because I kept telling people I wasn't in it.

I had Sibok Kelley sign mine, under his picture with Mr Sepulveda,
and Ed Jr signed under Mr Parker. When I see Mr Whitson at my
school in September, I'll have him sign under Huk's, right next to
Huk's sig. If I ever get the pleasure sir, I'll have ya sign under
Mr Parker's, next to Edmund's.

Thanks for sharing the experience!

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a blast! I got to meet many of the pioneers of Parker's kenpo. It was also nice to visit mecca of the Kenpo world. I enjoyed the company of all my adopted brothers and sisters from the Kenpo world and hopefully they enjoyed my company as well.

:asian: :drinkbeer :cheers:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Renegade
I had a blast! I got to meet many of the pioneers of Parker's kenpo. It was also nice to visit mecca of the Kenpo world. I enjoyed the company of all my adopted brothers and sisters from the Kenpo world and hopefully they enjoyed my company as well.

:asian: :drinkbeer :cheers:

Hey Tim, thanks for finding me and saying hello, it was a pleasure and wished we would've had more time to talk.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
I had Sibok Kelley sign mine, under his picture with Mr Sepulveda,
and Ed Jr signed under Mr Parker. When I see Mr Whitson at my
school in September, I'll have him sign under Huk's, right next to
Huk's sig. If I ever get the pleasure sir, I'll have ya sign under
Mr Parker's, next to Edmund's.

Thanks for sharing the experience!
It would be an honor and a pleasure sir.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Class shot.....

Attachments

• $classshot.jpg
    $classshot.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 341

Latest Discussions