Snapping your punches

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you brought up the one inch punch.

This technique is basically an example of how power generation works.once you engage push from the leg, rotation from the hip, extension from the back, and drive from the shoulder, you can still generate ridiculous power with minimal arm motion.

You are demonstrating the exact inverse of this principle. I know you aren't interested in learning anything and get pretty resentful when anyone (graciously) offers any tips, so I won't bother with that, but I will offer my informed opinion to everyone else reading this that arm punching like you do wouldn't hurt a fly.
C'mon man... it could hurt a smaller fly.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, I'll say again I guess.

This video isn't the 1 inch punch. Not the one inch punch, not the 1 inch punch. Just because it looked something like a 1 inch punch.....

I've made clear I demonstrated how I use this DRILL to PRACTICE closing my fist to produce a snap on impact. This is the only message in the video. Nothing more. I did NOT say it was an awesome video on how to generate power or do an awesome 1 inch punch!

In the beginning, I could not snap my punches. This drill help me build the reaction I needed to do so. I was just passing it along. So, relax.
No, the exact opposite in fact. Nobody said what you are doing looked like that. Not a single person.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have a pertinent question. Two actually. How is it that you feel that what you are doing is "snapping your punch?" Second, why... or perhaps how.. is it that, to your way of thinking/training, this snapping of your punches increases its efficacy on impact?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do have a pertinent question. Two actually. How is it that you feel that what you are doing is "snapping your punch?" Second, why... or perhaps how.. is it that, to your way of thinking/training, this snapping of your punches increases its efficacy on impact?
Good question.. I actually tried the punch the way that she instructed, well almost like she instructed. I did mine while sitting in a chair and I punched into my other hand. I figured since the punch was all arm that this would be enough for me to get an idea of what was going on.

So what I learned that this technique and Jow Ga fists are horrible. The two don't work together at all. So I used the thumb over fingers fist structure. The snap seem to be more in my arm like a jolt. I tried the same thing with my fist closed at the same distance and immediately I could feel that my punching structure wasn't connected. Keep in min I'm doing this in a chair with one leg propped up chillin.

The more my arm was bent the more powerful this punch felt in terms of just using the arms. I tried it both ways and the way that I normally throw short punches was looking for my root and the body weight that I put behind the punch. I could be wrong with but the snapping description feels more like a jolt or a collapse to me. I don't know if it felt that way because I didn't try to pull my hand off the target. When I pulled my hand off the target it gave me a feeling that my fist was bouncing off my hand and not punching through my hand.

I also took a look at my backfist that I said snaps. I was incorrect with that description. My backfist actually whips into my target and continues to travel in that direction, which makes it a heavier punch. It follows the same principle as my punches. (driving body weight behind punches). It seems that the punch in the video is a faster punch, but I'm thinking I would be willing to eat one or two if I knew I could sink a heaver punch into someone's facial bone structure. I could be that in my age when I'm slower, that I'm bias against speed and more comfortable with timing. Speed is important but without timing, you'll still miss your target. People who have both are Golden, but timing is definitely more difficult to get right than speed.

Not my style of punch but I think I get the principle of it as explained in the video. It's similar to some of the videos that talk about snapping punches.

What she is saying is the same as this. Now I will warn you. If you disagree with Shane then you are the scum of he earth because shane is never wrong. lol. So if she's wrong then Shane is wrong. Just saying lol.

Latest Discussions