Speed and Motor Skill Drills

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to do a video on specifically on my drills for trying to build speed. They are usually mixed in withm regular training, however, I wanted to do a video specifically showing these.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can throw a punch within 1/5 second, you have speed. It's hard to measure 1/5 second. It may be easier to throw 5 punches within 1 second. Since it's also difficult to measure 1 second, during the ancient time, people used jump up in the air and land back down to time that 1 second. So if you can jump up in the air, throw 5 punches before you feet land back down, that will be one way to measure your punching speed. You can also use 1 forward step to measure that 1 second. For example, 1 step 5 punches.

Some people use the following way to check his/her speed.

You punch and pull back so fast that even yourself won't be able to see your arm/hand but "blurr".

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sonja, do you do any drills or exercises for speed using only air punching?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speed without structure is just flash. Looks good, but isn't going to hurt anyone.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Speed is looking good. I think structure is also looking decent. Definitely enough power to stun.

Good looking straight punch as well.

You seem to have a high center of gravity but you may have some purpose for this.

I am curious about your second motion.
I see a lot of hit-pose, hit-hit-hit-pose. But it's way too easy to show a pose to the camera. Hard not to look as well lol.
What sort of hit-and-move drill do you practice?

Keep up happy training

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I won't make any suggestions. I'll probably just share a video of how I work on speed for my punches.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Speed without structure is just flash. Looks good, but isn't going to hurt anyone.

Speed is important as well as conditioning the muscles to have both speed and have a strong, solid impact on landing. Conditioning of the entire body to achieve this is the means to accomplishing this. I break it up to 3 different points. 1-practice speed drills, 2-practice performing solid/powerful impacts, 3-practice the first 2 in combinations.

All the things I do in my vids are single components. Together, they complete a puzzle. There are blocks, strikes, faints, done spontaneously and/or are interchangeable depending on the need.

I'm not sure what you mean by structure. My intention is not to dance around and chase anyone around if I'm at a point of being angry and show aggression to have to defend myself, I'm not going to stop until one of us is down.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sonja, do you do any drills or exercises for speed using only air punching?

I do air strikes and striking light objects like a hanging towel in the shower as well lol

I repeatedly strike solid and hard objects to practice power.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Speed is looking good. I think structure is also looking decent. Definitely enough power to stun.

Good looking straight punch as well.

You seem to have a high center of gravity but you may have some purpose for this.

I am curious about your second motion.
I see a lot of hit-pose, hit-hit-hit-pose. But it's way too easy to show a pose to the camera. Hard not to look as well lol.
What sort of hit-and-move drill do you practice?

Keep up happy training

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have not need to bob around when I do these sort of practices. They are to focus on those solitary movements and to build the muscle memory. I'm animated enough based on the opponent's movements.

My high center of gravity is strictly to reach a higher target. It kinda goes back to doing my WC drills I guess. You really don't need to move up or down to do repeating excercises. A lot of side to side though. Again, I'm capable of moving around and being animated. Just not for theses these drills.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you can throw a punch within 1/5 second, you have speed. It's hard to measure 1/5 second. It may be easier to throw 5 punches within 1 second. Since it's also difficult to measure 1 second, during the ancient time, people used jump up in the air and land back down to time that 1 second. So if you can jump up in the air, throw 5 punches before you feet land back down, that will be one way to measure your punching speed. You can also use 1 forward step to measure that 1 second. For example, 1 step 5 punches.

Some people use the following way to check his/her speed.

You punch and pull back so fast that even yourself won't be able to see your arm/hand but "blurr".

I get enough caffeine or adrenaline in me, I'm a roadrunner.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Striking a moving target, anytime, any angle, and to be able change direction, redirect, change fists based on the opponent's movement is my goal. Being spontaneous and formless as well while being able to strike fast and hard is the other element. I have no need to build a permanent structure if it hinders that. I'm also not claiming that I'm an expert or some kind of master.... however, my training is specific to me based off what I've learned in the traditional sense. I'm constantly experimenting and trying new things. If it looks as I'm posing, it's not. It pausing to a stop so I can repeat another action. The rest is editing for a video. I guess that what you guys are talking about.

I believe in myself in that if I have to strike someone, it will not be weak in my defense. I do however, understand my weaknesses and know what improvements I will be working on. That's why these videos are important to me. It helps me see what I like and don't like.

Thanks for all everyone's advice or "critique" I'm not expecting anyone to understand my method of training nor follow it. It is tailored to me and my journey and exploration.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE="
[/QUOTE]

I often don't look directly at the target because I'm looking at it perifially so I'm not focusing to much at one point. It just works well for me because my reflexes seem to be quicker that way. I guess you can blame chi-soa for that

Hit-pose is because it's a repeat excercise.

In reality. If I'm striking, I'm not going to hit-pose. I'm going to hit, hit, hit, hit, hit. There is no pose.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Striking a moving target, anytime, any angle, and to be able change direction, redirect, change fists based on the opponent's movement is my goal.

Get or make one of these:

41yy3lsQheL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

The band goes on your head and you punch the ball, which is attached by elastic.

You get a moving target, you also get something flying at your head.

They're properly entertaining to use, and as long as you put a bit of effort in (and are prepared to get smacked in the face) they're a surprisingly good and useful workout ;)

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Get or make one of these:

View attachment 22617

The band goes on your head and you punch the ball, which is attached by elastic.

You get a moving target, you also get something flying at your head.

They're properly entertaining to use, and as long as you put a bit of effort in (and are prepared to get smacked in the face) they're a surprisingly good and useful workout ;)

Haha! Seen those, but no.....

I do however, play catch the tennis ball aimed at my face

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you have training partner, you can test your punching speed this way:

- Both you and your opponent have right side forward with hands drop next to your knees.
- You use right hand to punch your opponent's left back shoulder.
- If you can punch on your opponent's left back shoulder before your opponent can use right arm to block your punch, you have speed.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you have training partner, you can test your punching speed this way:

- Both you and your opponent have right side forward with hands drop next to your knees.
- You use right hand to punch your opponent's left back shoulder.
- If you can punch on your opponent's left back shoulder before your opponent can use right arm to block your punch, you have speed.

Haha, people I know are afraid of pain. All attempts to practice with anyone results in a "no thanks".

Anyways.. they are just drills. Excercises done in isolation. Not meant to be a test of anything. Most of my drills are done in a boring and repeated manner. Just like going to the gym and lifting weights.

People take these videos and over analyze them then try to add their own spin on it. I'm not asking for that. I'm just showing the darn video is all.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha, people I know are afraid of pain. All attempts to practice with anyone results in a "no thanks".

Anyways.. they are just drills. Excercises done in isolation. Not meant to be a test of anything. Most of my drills are done in a boring and repeated manner. Just like going to the gym and lifting weights.

People take these videos and over analyze them then try to add their own spin on it. I'm not asking for that. I'm just showing the darn video is all.

I certainly didn't over analyse your video, I'd be hard pushed to do so having not actually watched it...

I just saw about speed and reflex and tbh that's what the bouncy ball really helps develop.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I certainly didn't over analyse your video, I'd be hard pushed to do so having not actually watched it...

I just saw about speed and reflex and tbh that's what the bouncy ball really helps develop.

Lol. Ok. It Looks like an interesting idea but I'm not into it.