Smart Phone suggestions

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any input on Android smart phones? What's good, what's bad... what to avoid? I'm soon to replace an aged LG Ally, and want to get something that'll have decent on-board memory so that I don't get out of memory errors in 6 months as everything updates and gets bigger... Thinking towards Samsungs, but open to others. Slide out real keyboard is nice, but not essential anymore. Durable for work is important... that or Otterbox or similar tough case available.

So -- any suggestions or input?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a Motorola Atrix and am pretty pleased, given that it is reconditioned. I do have a few problems though I'm certain it is BECAUSE it is reconditioned.

Look up some articles on Lifehacker.com on some good advice for cell phones as to memory usage, processors, some myths (e.g. you have to fully expend the battery charge before charging it again).

I looked up what smartphones were available through my provider, then looked at cnet.com reviews and side-by-side comparisons on YouTube for the top four phones that suited my fancy. I've learned there are some things Blackberry doesn't do or doesn't do well that I *need* to work well to make having a smartphone worth the expense for me. I've learned I need more control than the iPhone could give me (from what I could glean just from the very little time I could spend with one, relatively, in the AT&T store), and the idea of a Windows phone makes something in my hind quarters pucker.

Consider being very careful and frugal with your apps; I only use android-approved apps; and watch those widgets.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have the Samsung Galaxy Note, and I am very pleased with it. It's just been updated to ice cream sandwich in Germany, and that seems to be a good thing. Go for the international unlocked version, as I understand AT&T crippled the device capabilities in the US allegedly.

My gf has just ordered the S3, which looks to be even better, if a little more expensive.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the Samsung Galaxy Note, and I am very pleased with it. It's just been updated to ice cream sandwich in Germany, and that seems to be a good thing. Go for the international unlocked version, as I understand AT&T crippled the device capabilities in the US allegedly.

My gf has just ordered the S3, which looks to be even better, if a little more expensive.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

And when/if you get an unlocked version, all the security settins are also unlocked.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally use a HTC Desire HD but I've had my phone for a year and a bit now. Finally got the updates working (for some reason, wouldn't work off the data connection on the phone but worked perfectly running off Wifi - go figure!) and I'm in love with it all over again. The Otter case is brilliant, I'm certain it's the only reason I still have a screen let alone a working phone given my tendency to drop them.

The Samsung Galaxy SIII isn't bad at all and neither is the LG Optimus. Mind you, I like my screens nice and big with decent resolution and given I often just use my phone as a camera the image quality on all 3 of those are perfect for me. All said and done, I'm a huge fan of the HTC phones so this one might interest you:

HTC One X - the following is taken directly off the website for you :)

• m62176stgvha_Icn_Feature_Camera_20x20px.png
    8.0 megapixel with HTC ImageChip, Always Focus and Continuous Shooting
  • m62178stgvha_Icn_Feature_TouchScreen_20x20px.png
    4.7" HD (720p) capacitive touchscreen
  • m140019stgvha_Icn_Feature_Android_20x20px.png
    Android™ 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich"

Why buy this?

Extraordinary quad-core power gives you superior web browsing experience, remarkable picture quality and hyper-realistic gaming effects - all on a giant, 4.7-inch HD screen.
Amazing Camera

HTC One X rivals traditional digital cameras, reducing the time it takes to capture those key moments. In just 0.7 seconds you're able to take a shot, and with a new superfast 0.2-seconds autofocus, continue to take nearly unlimited continuous shots simply by holding the shutter button.
4X times faster with Quad Core

HTC One X is blazing fast with the new NVIDIA® Tegra 3 Mobile Processor for clear graphics, faster applications and longer battery life. It includes a 1.5GHz Super 4-PLUS-1™ quad-core with an integrated fifth Battery Saver Core.
Authentic Sound

For the first time, Beats By Dr. Dre Audio™ integration is enabled across the entire experience for richer, more authentic sound whether you?re listening to your favorite music, watching a YouTube™ video or playing a game.

[h=4]Internal Memory Capacity - 32GB (should cover those pesky updates)[/h]

Last edited:

Latest Discussions