SLT Cheng Kwong Style

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Kind of strange but I do like the emphasis on the shifting of the knees, though whether or not that should be in SLT is up for debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

Kind of strange but I do like the emphasis on the shifting of the knees, though whether or not that should be in SLT is up for debate.

It looks like Fa Kuen and Siu Nim Tao had a baby. Not really WC as I know it, more Weng Chun.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like it. It follows the general TCMA principle "body unification" that when your body

- move, all body parts move at the same time.
- stop, all body parts stop at the same time.

One should not just move his arms without moving his body. You move your body, your body push/pull your arm.

Last edited:
OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu Wang: Yes indeed! Most CMA styles tend to use their entire body, while I think W.C suffers from a sort of "karatefication" of sorts in that it fires from a platform. (I'm saying this as someone who practices Northern Shaolin along with W.C)

It looks like Fa Kuen and Siu Nim Tao had a baby. Not really WC as I know it, more Weng Chun.

It would be what most refer to as Weng Chun as Cheng Kwong does a combination of the Lo Family's WC style and a couple other WC styles. Cheng Kwong is actually one of the guys Andreas Hoffman learned from.

Andreas Hoffman's style is still different though as he put more emphasis on the Hung Gar elements of the Lo Family's style along with adding elements of Tai Chi and, believe it or not, BJJ.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, now that I think of it, I think that the shifting of the knees while remaining stationary would result in more bad habits than anything when it comes to sparring. Trying to make little movements have power with a stationary bobbing motion is sort of silly when the power is in forward pressure and structure, and since WC has to react to what is coming from an opponent, these small bobs seem like they'd be more detrimental than an advantage as they're really not the same as other TCMA full body movements.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are circumstances in Wing Chun where a slight drop of the body is used.
Using a slight sinking of the weight when cutting down on an opponents arm will help get it out of the way.

Also when you are using neck pulling hand , a slight drop in the body level will add force to that movement to help pull the opponent down and break their structure.

It is basically just using gravity and your body mass to do the work for you.

But that bobbing up and down in the video is just ridiculous , a serious waste of time and energy.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like it. It follows the general TCMA principle "body unification" that when your body

- move, all body parts move at the same time.
- stop, all body parts stop at the same time.

One should not just move his arms without moving his body. You move your body, your body push/pull your arm.

As far as Wing Chun goes it is not strictly true.
Certainly with the Chum Kiu form , there is an emphasis on body unity , particularly in regards to locking the upper and lower body together as one unit.

But when it comes to the Biu Jee form we are learning more how to "liberate" different parts of the body.
For example in Chum Kiu you are initiating the pivot with your waist , keeping upper body and lower body locked together.
This is only one level of pivoting , but in the Biu Jee form there are multi layers of pivoting happening at the same time.

This type of pivoting initiates from the shoulders first and then followed by the lower body , it is a spiral type of force similar in action to a whirlpool , cyclone etc.
The extra force of the faster upper body pivot added to the lower body pivot produces more power.
A bit like a turbo charger on a car engine.

It is almost like we come full circle , we start off untrained with no idea of body unity , then we learn body unity through Siu Nim Tau and Chum Kiu , then after Biu Jee we take the training wheels off and return to a somewhat more unrestricted natural way of body movement.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, that was different. An awful lot of rising and sinking.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Different all right. Not my cup of tea.

There is step by step development in Ip Man wing chun.

And body unity is developed.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most people believe that in

- training, you should let your body to lead your limbs. You want to develop the maximum amount of power generation.
- fighting, you should let your limbs to lead your body. You want to develop the maximum amount of speed generation.

Of course you can have both power generation and speed generation in training as people often said, "train like you fight".

When your opponent punches at you, if you rotate your body and use your Tan Shou to block it, even if you may miss your opponent's punch, since your body is already moved out of your opponent's striking path, you have no danger there. So body lead limbs do have combat value even if it may take more effort than just move your Tan Shou to block the punch without moving the body..

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Totally different to how we're taught SNT, nothing else is supposed to move apart from the arms.

Like this dude:

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pfft, I bet you weirdos don't even stand on egg cartons either.

Plebians I say!

Latest Discussions